BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fraud in La Paz
gerrydwhite

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 03:27 PM
Fraud in La Paz

Thought I'd warn people eating at Carlos and Charlies in La Paz that I had my credit card copied there in Sept. After copying it they attempted to make charges totaling over $4000 (dollars!) at some place called Kamillos in Guadalajara. Luckily the credit card co. wouldn't allow the charges. It was the only place that I used the card and I'm VERY careful to protect my receipts.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 06:48 PM

Thanks for the warning.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 08:08 PM
Remember when I complained about my card being jacked there in August?

The charges against my card were all made in Mexico City. Looks like they got away with about 800 bucks worth of charges before Master Card caught on. It was still only lucky that I caught it when I did. I had to call MC for something else and they asked, since they had me on the line, about the charges.

Now for the kicker. One of the very few places I used the card was at Charlies and it was the very last place I used it before coming home, where I told the waiters there I was leaving. It makes perfect sense that I got ripped there as they would have known that they had at least a few days to a few weeks before I would see the charges.

I will write tonight to the wife of the manager, who I know from my kids' scuba lessons. Then I'll proceed immediately to call MC and let them know that establishment is suspect.

And I will also publicize on the other boards the need for tourists not to let their cards out of their site if they're eating at Charlies or any place else these days, for that matter.

Thanks very much for sharing that. We may well be able to get this thing cleared up now that we've got it pinned down where this is happening!

Now this is why I love message boards! - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2003 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for the heads-up!

We like their pescado empanisado, but weren't aware that other fishy stuff was going on in the back room.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-15-2003 at 12:20 PM

there are sooooo many other really good places to eat with much better prices. I never understood why anyone eats there to begin with. My wife just heard the name Carlos & Charlies and just about threw up.

If you like pescado try the mare y pena on the 16th of september. or the bismark both excellent restaurants

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2003 at 09:21 PM
Having just slammed them, I shouldn't advertise, but

I agree with you on the fish. If you want pescado empanizado, there are about a hundred places in La Paz you can go to get equally good or better food.

But if you are a beef lover, there is no other place in town to get a plate of steak that's half as tender and tasty as the "Bife". They take a long flat piece of tenderloin and cut it in a way that tenderizes it even further. It almost melts in your mouth.

My kids would tell you that their chicken fingers are also the best in the west.

And you can't find a better place in La Paz to take in the sunset and watch people amble by on a Sunday afternoon than Charlies. Plus, the waiters always feign loving attention if not putting out the real thing.

There's a lot to recommend it if your credit card isn't getting scammed for a thousand dollars. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.