BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bernie's Baja Book (new)
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 05:20 PM
Bernie's Baja Book (new)

The task appears to be complete, for those who have followed the progress on other threads.
Bernie sent me a U2U last Fall and asked if I would consider writing a chapter on off-road racing, "Estilo Baja" of course.
I did not have to think very long, sounded like a great idea to me, since I have long pondered the idea of writing an entire book on the subject.
I sent him a very lengthy piece I had written on a long ago NORRA Mexican 1000 as well as another piece on a SCORE Baja 1000 written by my late friend Darold MacDannald.
Bernie had his wife read them both..... she loved the one by Darold, said mine was sort of o.k.
So, on that note away we went.
After I was finished writing Bernie informed me that due to the problematic publisher that he uses (self/Bernie does it) there would not be any compensation.
Well, that was a setback!
Imagine what that does to your professional status.
We finally agreed upon a fee, 10 cents per book sold after the first 10,000 at retail. Sounded pretty good to me.
Oh yes, and I get a co-author discount of 5% on all quantities ordered over 10.
Plus, for an extra 25 cents he offered to autograph each one that I purchased.
Bernie is an amazing writer.
His mother was apparently frightened by an "apostrophe monster" and thus, he puts them where they do not belong, and omits them where needed. He is quite consistent (a word he can never spell the same way twice) in this applications.
Commas also fall into this category, although not nearly as consistent (that troublesome word again)
Having read and re-read all the chapters, and just today a very interesting and provocative dedication, I can heartily endorse the book.
Oh yeah, especially the chapter on Baja Racing titled "The Baja Runner"
Good luck with it Bernie....
You da man!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 06:06 PM

As the people who read Bernie's second book 'Bouncing Around Baja' know, I was honored to be the subject of one of the chapters (The Baja Connection) and have a cartoon of me included...

Bernie's books are fun to read and contain a lot of interesting people stories, as well.

I look forward to #3

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 07:38 PM

Ok so Bernie, where do i get my copy?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 07:55 PM

...at Keri's book signing....

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16198

a book is ALWAYS better when signed by the author:biggrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Ok so Bernie, where do i get my copy?

On the bottom of Bernie's posts on Nomad, is the link to his web site...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 10:23 AM
thebajarunner

It appears that the runner has jumped to gun again, as he was always wont to do in his short racing career. I guess he thought it was the checkered flag being waved in his face when I sent him a draft of the Dedication.

He is correct about one or, perhaps two things. I did contact him about writing a ?story,? that turned out to be more like a fib. He was also right about the fact that I publish my own ?stuff? because nobody else will.
Seriously, one of the best things I have stumbled into was when I asked the ?Runner? if he would like to ?contribute? a story about Baja Off Road racing. (I doubt that any of you have read a book where the author had a healthy enough ego to invite another to share the spot light as I did with my offer---Oh! Yes, there are a few more Nomads who (whom?help me, ?Runner?) I approached to allow me to reproduce stories that they had posted here over the years?No! I will not identify them until you buy the book?WHICH is not completed yet?and, sadly, it won?t be in time for Keri?s book signing on May 6th?I will, however, be giving away ink pens to everyone who comes by my table to say, HI!)
Funny, I have never met the ?Runner? and I look forward to doing that someday. I am a little worried that, in person, he may appear just a little less than perfect?that?s for saying my Okie momma was skerred bout sumpin like som monster?nothin lik dat!
All that stuff he wrote about ?money,? well, you just forget it cause he ain?t gonna git none.

Enough of that fun! I really believe that this forum, that Doug provides for us all, is one of the best things that has happened to me in my whole life, outside of my lady of over 50 years. It allows us all to come in contact with many folks we would never meet in real life, it lets us laugh, get mad, forgive, and learn a bunch of stuff we don?t even need to know.
Thank you all for improving my knowledge of people and this place named?BAJA!
The book is not even named yet, but when it is I?ll (or the BajaRunner) will give you a holler!
Just like with a kid, (comma=pause) the namin? is the last thing that gets done, at least with me.

PS?Hey, runner. I had the spell checker thing on and the only thing it could find wrong with this stuff ?was BajaRunner?and it had no suggestions for that! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 06:27 PM

What you said here:

"I really believe that this forum, that Doug provides for us all, is one of the best things that has happened to me in my whole life, outside of my lady of over 50 years. It allows us all to come in contact with many folks we would never meet in real life, it lets us laugh, get mad, forgive, and learn a bunch of stuff we don?t even need to know.
Thank you all for improving my knowledge of people and this place named?BAJA!"

Is absolutely 'right on' Bernie!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-23-2006 at 10:14 AM
Jumped the Gun!

Sorry Bernie, having read the last part (mine) and the first part (yours) I assumed that the opus was complete.
mea culpa...
Anyway, its a gonna be a good one folks! Worth the wait!
As to my writing being a "big fib"
Well, as my 92 year old mother likes to say "Dick does not exaggerate, he just remembers big!"
So, there you have it, if I remember it like that, it must have been for real.
And, as to meeting me in person....let me simply say, that in person I will be even more charming, more affable, more articulate, and yes, even more modest than my writing portrays.
Final note..... Are you serious!!! No royalties???
This book is headed for the NYTimes bestseller list and you won't even share some crumbs from the banquet table?
For shame.
Ah well, better to be famous and good than to be rich.
(not sure who said that- not sure I agree)
tbr
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-24-2006 at 05:27 AM
Okay Runner

You got it! You can take a dime a copy to the bank. Ha!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 3-26-2006 at 09:29 AM
Bernie and Runner. I've got the perfect place for you to meet

Pyramid Resort for the 4th Annual Book signing and Wine tasting May 6th 2006. You guys can crank out a deal and shake hands right here. Don't forget Nomads get a 10% discount if you book your room before April 6th. You do need to book with me direct to get the special Nomad rate. pyramidresort(at) prodigy.net.mx Such a deal. Don't forget the potluck and Tequila tastingfor the people staying . Fun is had by one and all,k:rolleyes::yes:;)

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.