BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mikes Sky Ranch
Bunk

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 07:08 PM
Mikes Sky Ranch

Can you ride quads from the border at Tecate to Mike's and how long of a trip is it? Also, anyone have contact #'s?
Last of all, would this be a worth while trip?
Bunk
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 10:56 PM

Quads are not street legal, so you would need to trailer them to Rancho/ Hacienda Santa Veronica for the start... It is a guest ranch popular with off road motorcyclists... Kacey Smith (BajaGPSGuide.com) holds her m/c gps events there. A short run on Hwy. 3 into Valle Trinidad will have to be done illegally, perhaps... Get the AAA map for road milages...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quads are not street legal, so you would need to trailer them to Rancho/ Hacienda Santa Veronica for the start... It is a guest ranch popular with off road motorcyclists... Kacey Smith (BajaGPSGuide.com) holds her m/c gps events there. A short run on Hwy. 3 into Valle Trinidad will have to be done illegally, perhaps... Get the AAA map for road milages...

Not sure that's correct all over Mex. They rent quads for riding on the streets here and riders are ticketed only for no helmet or speeding etc. They ride on Hghy 5 and Highway Patrol doesn't bother them.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 09:25 AM

Perhaps in a tourist town Lou... But, I am not so sure the federales on the highways will be as leniant??? Who knows, it IS Mexico, afterall... I never see quads riding across the border or through the streets of Tecate... They aren't street legal in Calif., so not sure how far they would get... Quien sabe?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 03:30 PM

"Can you ride quads from the border at Tecate to Mike's and how long of a trip is it?"

Yes, they do it all the time.
Ruin a lot of single track by doing so!!
Approx 120 miles.
Get gas at Valle T before you head up to Mikes.

Corky :lol: :saint:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 06:20 PM

Corky... is unloading you quad on the U.S. side and just riding it into Mexico on city streets and then out Hwy. 2 ... AOK? Really?

That's great!

Bunk

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 07:14 PM

We are taged and legal here in AZ. I know we are not legal in CA. but thought it would be no probleme in Mex.
And we would never intrude on single track!! It was just a thought. I never get any time off to do anything I would really like to do.
Bunk
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 07:40 PM

I don't think you can uload it in the U.S. and ride across the border and I know you can't ride it back across the border unless it's street legal in CA. Maybe push it both ways. Taking it across to Santa Veronica would be the best. They use to charge like $5 to leave your truck overnight. Maybe more now. Then you can ride to Mike's and spend the night. I think it's $45 per person which includes dinner and breakfast. Good riding around Mikes. Cold at night right now. Another option is to drive to Mike's and ride around and/or do a run to San Felipe across Diablo dry lake. Heve lunch then return up by three poles and across near the hwy 3 and following the power line at Borrego. Don't forget to take gas. Trinidad has gas and San Felipe has gas. Not much else in between. If your coming from the Tecate area Saw Mill usually has gas out of barrels and Independencia usually has gas.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 07:46 PM

Unless it's a holiday or a Score race you don't need reservations for Mike's. Just get there in time for dinner. Coffee in the kitchen usually at or shortly after 6am. If your lucky there may be an off road tour group either motorcycles or buggies. Fun groups, people from all over.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2006 at 09:48 AM

and you can take a dip in their pool (if it isn't frozen over)!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2006 at 07:23 PM

My son and I plan on being there the 30th of March if all goes well. Will see Lou on the 29th if he's at home.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2006 at 08:52 PM

I plan on being here on the 29th Tom - look forward to seeing you again. Have to go to Mexicali on Mon 27th maybe stay and come back the 28 but be here the 29th.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-26-2006 at 12:48 PM

I was up at El Coyote, Friday, not too far from Mikes, and it was quite warm. Nights OK, too. Report soon.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2006 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Unless it's a holiday or a Score race you don't need reservations for Mike's. Just get there in time for dinner. Coffee in the kitchen usually at or shortly after 6am. If your lucky there may be an off road tour group either motorcycles or buggies. Fun groups, people from all over.

If I were planning to stay at Mikes I suggest reservations. Even during the week.
I was thru there last week , Thursday thru Monday.
Mikes completly full.
David said this time of year full almost all the time.

Corky :?: :lol:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.