BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nice Tiajuana Police Experience? Yes!
bajablue
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 3-24-2006 at 08:19 PM
Nice Tiajuana Police Experience? Yes!

A buddy and I crossed the border in TJ about 5:30pm and started up the steep climb along the border, heading south. Then the traffic all came to a stop. Partly because of all the people heading home after work, but mostly because of the sun that was setting, right over the steep grade. As the traffic started to begun to flow again and I just begun to take the foot off the break, I look in the rear view mirror and see a guy come flying up on us from the other lane and he just slams into the back of the truck. Our trucks back bumper got pushed in a little, but his front end was totaled. He was a young local guy, in a new smaller Nissan. He was not wearing his seat belt and his chest, slammed into the steering wheel. Everyone was OK, just a couple of sore necks and backs. The guy then gets out of the car and starts telling me that is my fault, because I didn't have enough distance (whatever that means). I said amigo, apparently I had plenty, your the one who smashed into the back of me. Now in the States I know that any time you rear end anyone, no matter what, it's your fault. But this is my first accident in Baja and I had no idea what there laws are. The guy immediately gets on his phone and starts calling people blaming me. Who he was calling, I have no idea, but I am now getting a little nervous. The police finally arrive after an hour, heard both of our stories, looked at the cars and told the guy it was his fault, that you cannot rear end someone, no matter what. Now I told him that I was good and that we just want to get our trip started. That we can just go our own way and that I could get my truck fixed by a buddy, but he still wanted to plead his case. So we then had to wait for a tow truck to pick up his car, then all of us drive down to the police station to see the judge. It's now 7pm, and we get to the station and the guy seams to know about 8 of the cops hanging around the station, so I am now expecting the tides to turn a lot. I am also wondering if these were the guys he was calling :(. We finally get our turn to go in front of the judge and the traffic cop (who saw that this guy was friends with some of "the boys") then tells the Judge what happened. Now I speak pretty good Spanish, but you never know if there is a word or even worse a wink, that might be thrown in there, so as you could imagine the nerves were a little rattled. But just as the officer got the last word out of his mouth that this guy rear ended me, the Judge said the guy was dead wrong and that he should be thanking me, for being nice and not making him pay for the damage to my car and any possible future injuries. He then asked me if I wanted the guy to pay for my damage and I said no. I figured I didn't need to drag this event any longer and just wanted to get South of TJ.
I write this, because there is always bad stories about the police and corruption and I thought the cards were against me and got treated great! It was a refreshing experience and it actually changed my opinion a little of the corruption in TJ and Baja. Although honestly, I still plan on never "hanging" in TJ. That is the only place in Baja, that I will never be comfortable with...
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2006 at 09:43 PM

bAJABLUE still good people left in tj great story.. I wish it where more stories like that with a happy ending..:yes::spingrin::yes:

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

puzzled.gif posted on 3-25-2006 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
bAJABLUE still good people left in tj great story..:yes::spingrin::yes:

If you figure the size of the city and the number of people here (maybe 3.5 million), I think most of us are good, honest, hard working people ;D
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-25-2006 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the report Blue!

It is comforting to hear that honesty means something, still.

Hope your rig is fixable...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2006 at 10:33 AM

Lecho, at first glance I thought he was just a standard cop, but now that you mention it once I got to the station I saw a "perito" patch on his leather jacket, which I thought was kind of odd at the time.. By the way, I would love to get a hold of one of those TJPD leather jackets, really cool.. I don't think the flashers would have helped, just because of the sun. Plus like I said, he was flying up from the other lane and just turned into mine. He would have never had time to stop any ways..
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2006 at 10:36 AM

Fdt, I wasn't try to insinuate that the all the people of TJ aren't hard, honest working people. I Just prefer the more "sleepier" towns in Baja and in the States for that matter. Most of the experiences I have had in TJ, have been somewhat negative, so that is all I can really go on. It's just a very aggressive town, weather you are driving or walking around and that just isn't in my program.
Sorry if I offended you amigo..
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-25-2006 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajablue
Lecho

Hmmm, :lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2006 at 11:45 AM

my bad Lencho, forgot spell check...
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2006 at 02:00 AM

Great Story Blue!!

Thanks.

Bedman
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 3-26-2006 at 08:56 AM

That was a good story.....

Thanks

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2006 at 10:03 AM

This is a great story! The guy did not take responsibility for his actions and thought he could get away with it by coming up with some story. It seems in this day and age not many people just tell the truth.

I travel that same road at least twice a week and it has to be one of the most dangerous ares in all of Baja. About a year ago I came within inches of hitting a guy who crossed the road. I slammed on my brakes and he flipped me off. I think he was upset that I missed him. Then when you get to the road down the hill where you have to merge into traffic you have cars going around you on the left, and on the right side of you and most of these drivers are going to Playas. Its like a race, who can get there first!

Ive had several good experiences with the Tijuana P.D. I think the police in Tecate could take a lesson from these guys.

[Edited on 27/12/2005 by lizard lips]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-26-2006 at 10:16 AM

the system some times works and that gives us all hope. thanks fir reporting a good Baja police incident bajablue there are lots of them but we usually here more of the bad ones.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.