BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Fix for Directv channels in southern Baja ?
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Check out this site both for general info AND for a variety of antenna setups: http://www.global-cm.net/multifeedsys.html

BCSTech, Have you tried any alternates like these or are you just a Dishworks dealer? I have heard of 2m dishes. Have you tried them? If you are not interested, please let me know. I am a long time Directv user and don't want to change. I will go a long way to find an alternate to dishwork.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 05:00 PM
Directv

Is there anyone La Paz and below using an alternate antenna for Directv?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 06:58 PM

Al

We have quite a few people here with direct tv, some with 2m dishes some with 1.2 nobody I know has 2 dish. They still only get 1/2 of what they used to.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 07:22 PM
DirecTV 8 Coverage

Although I've spent some time looking through resources for a coverage map indicating the footprint and signal strengths for DirecTV 8, So far I've been unsuccessful. The footprints for the previously existing DirecTV satellites at the 101 slot show a prime focus signal strength of around 54dbw (Central U.S.) down to less than 38dbw in the Southern Baja region. One would expect the new satellite to have a similar footprint, but who knows ? It may be that the effective footprint simply doesn't exist that far down.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 09:48 PM

Hi Al G. You wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Check out this site both for general info AND for a variety of antenna setups: http://www.global-cm.net/multifeedsys.html
BCSTech, Have you tried any alternates like these or are you just a Dishworks dealer? I have heard of 2m dishes. Have you tried them? If you are not interested, please let me know. I am a long time Directv user and don't want to change. I will go a long way to find an alternate to dishwork.
The new satellite, DirecTV 8, has a tighter footprint on the U.S. than its companion. There is simply less spill over into Baja. That's why you can't see the channels that were moved to the new transponders. It has nothing to do with setting up a dual feed to separate the signals from two colocated satellites, regardless of what the DirecTV Rep said. I've been in this business for 20 years, and I can tell you he's full of feathers.

The information in the link MrBillM posted is intended for U.S. customers seeking a multiple satellite system capable of picking up multiple Dish Network or DirecTV satellites in the U.S. under normal signal footprint conditions. None of these dishes/feed configurations will work here, nor could they ever be used to separate two colocated satellites no matter where you are.

I have used two 6' (1.8 meter) antennas to pick up the 119? and 110? Dish Network satellites and losfrailes has done the same using one 1.2 meter dish. But, remember, he and I are talking about Dish Network satellites and not DirecTV. Different companies, different satellites.

The DirecTV signal is simply too weak now on half of the channels to receive them here with a conventional-sized DBS antenna. I have read of someone near Mexico City who was able to get some DirecTV reception for _part_ of the day on the missing channels using a 3.1 meter (10') antenna.

I haven't set up a 10' here to try to recover the missing DirecTV channels and I probably won't. It's not that I'm not interested but I doubt many of my customers will want to go back to a 10' dish again and I sure don't want to spend my money on one. I can get better reception for less hassle and cheaper using 1.2 to 1.8 meter antennas on Dish Network. I'm not a Dish Network dealer by choice but by necessity. I had DirecTV too until it went down.

If you install a 10' antenna for DirecTV, let me know how it works.

[Edited on 5-1-2006 by BCSTech]

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 10:01 PM

I forgot to add that I have not specifically tested a 2 meter (6.5') antenna. But I have tested 6.0' (1.8 meter) antennas on both DirecTV and Dish Network. From the total absense of those DirecTV channels on the 6 footers, I can guarantee you that adding another 6" will not bring them back.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 10:39 PM

Thanks BCSTech,
I will stop to talk and I am now sure Chuck will be in shortly. I finally get it and that means everyone else will too.
I now have a duel tuner Samsung Directv DVR w/Tivo. Will I have to get new Dish equipment?
Albert

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 10:42 PM
Directway

Also I was going to use Directway, but now will need to do something else??? Got any answers?

Albert G

BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 06:04 AM

Hi Al G,

Sorry to say, you will need a Dish Network tuner. We have dual units with DVR or you can buy one in the states. You may be able to sell your DirecTV tuner thru eBay, Craigslist or elsewhere. I'm starting to get a collection of them and don't know what to do with them myself.

DirecWay uses another satellite. No problems there. I'm using a DirecWay system at this moment to make this post.

Are you in TS? Best to call me if you are in the area. I'm hardly ever at the store.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 09:05 AM
The Other Half

Another factor which might weigh in favor of a changeover to Dish Network is the fact that the channels lost to DirecTV 8 were part of a migration to move channels away from an aging satellite. Given the current experience, you might expect that when the time comes to migrate the remaining channels to newer equipment, the same profile would probably be employed. That, of course, could take years, but who knows ?

DirecTV 1R at 101 deg was launched in 1999.

DirecTV 9S is scheduled for launch in the second quarter of 2006 and will be deployed at either the 101 deg slot OR the 119 as a backup for either 4S or 7S. 4S was launched into the 101 slot to provide extensive spotbeam transmission.

A Final Word of Agreement.
------------------------------------
According to Lyngsat.com, BOTH DirecTV 1R and the new DirecTV 8 are located at a nominal 100.73 degrees West and show almost exactly the same Azimuth and Elevation computations for La Paz ( 24.07N / 110.17W) i.e. at 23.78N / 110.23W Satellite D1R shows: 157.69 / 60.16 and D8 shows: 157.48 / 60.13. This confirms that the problem is the Satellite's footprint rather than location. No luck for BCS.

BTW - http://www.lyngsat.com is an excellent resource for both satellite info and pointing information for ANY satellite you may be interested in.

[Edited on 5-1-2006 by MrBillM]
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:06 PM

Hey Al G.,

I should add that DirecWay and DirecTV are two completely different companies and no longer related. What affects one service does not affect the other.

MrBillM, thanks for that link ;)

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
rocknrog

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 08:18 PM
Happy TV Junkie

I had direct tv in loreto, have lost so may channels I gave up on it and now have star choice, had to pay to get a canada address but I feel it was worth ever penny, star choice it's a great system we are very happy with it,the man that got us are system is named Frank, his # is 623-202-1380, the cost per month is between 30 and 80 a month, the whole thing cost me 345.00 plus shipping to my states address. Happy TV Junkie
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.