Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mexican tortillas
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:34 PM
Paula...like our Norsk women back home making 'lefse'...you can make your own nixtamal.

Metate y Mano

The traditional tool for grinding the nixtamal is the metate y mano. If you are an adventurous cook and don't mind a good work out then you'll enjoy using the metate. Depending on the size of your metate, place a handful or two of corn on the top surface. Use downward pressure on the mano and roll across the corn (like a rolling pin). Continue until the corn becomes finely pulverized. Repeat until all the corn has been ground. This should only take a little skin off your knuckles.

Hah! I have a couple of well-worn metates you are welcome to borrow. I can tell you are very eager to try this out!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:37 PM

Ok Gang here goes Mama Tierra's corn tortilla recipe...

1 n1/2 cups Masa harina
1 n1/2 cups canned hominy
1/4 teasspoon ground sea salt
1 cup hot water
sqeeze 1 lime

you must pur`ee the hominy, mix with other ingredients until the dough gathers into a soft ball...definately wax paper inside the tortilla press..forma small ball of dough, place in tortilla press,press, grill on griddle with a tad of oil...desfrute Amigo's!!
OBTW...
Humming Mexican love songs, and using as many Spanish words as you know while preparing seems to make them a little better...
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:39 PM

Right or Left Handed Model?

Depends on whether you are right or left handed!!:tumble:
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:44 PM

Pompano,

The skin off the knuckles must be what makes 'em soooo tasty!

I have a metate, thanks-- strictly ornamental!!
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:46 PM

the canned mominy will save the knuckles...and some time..
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:48 PM

That sounds like a really good recipe, Tomas.... muchas gracias!:bounce::bounce:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:49 PM

wornout..thou art slothful.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:54 PM
Use those tortillas to soak these up....

Cooking lutefisk the old fashioned way: Do not cook in aluminum vessels as it will darken the kettle. Use three level tablespoons salt to each quart water. Bring water to boil, add salt and return to boil. Add fish which has been sliced into serving pieces and again return to boil, then remove from the heat. Skim, and let fish steep for 5 to 10 minutes depending on thickness. Serve at once.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 03:23 PM

and that tortilla soup at La Palapa...mmmmmmm

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 07:00 PM

if you're north of the border,Trader Joes has some real tasty handmade corn and flour torts;D;D

[Edited on 4-5-2006 by eetdrt88]

msmamrim

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 07:19 PM

All this talk about tortillas north of the border not being as good as the ones from south of the border (which I agree). Well, have any of you tried eating tortillas that are sold way up in the most northern border? I live in a city in Ontario, Canada and the only tortillas we can get are frozen U.S. made ones. Yuck.

I have been living in La Paz these past 7 months and we return to Canada next month. I have become very spoiled---eating freshly made corn tortillas. I do not know if I will be able to eat those frozen ones now.

Please feel sorry for me :)
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 07:28 PM

living in a place where the only tortillas you can get come out of a freezer sounds a little like hell to me:lol::lol::lol:

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 07:42 PM

MSMAMRIM

I'm tellin' ya...
if you live north of LA ya gotta make your own....

msmamrim

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 07:53 PM

OH, the tortillas are soooo bad and about a quarter of them in the package are torn.

Just TERRIBLE!

I tried making my own (before I had kids, i.e. back when I had time) but they always came out too thick and were no good the next day. I think I will give it another try when I get back home.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 08:27 PM

Use a tortilla press-- take one back with you, and take a few pckages of Maseca. They'll be much better than the store ones, and they may not be very good the next day, but still worth it. Maseca is very easy, you just add warm water. Put the dough ball between 2 pieces of waxed paper in the press. Practice...
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 08:17 AM
Saw this and it got me to thinking about using any more lard...

So here's a recipe for Very low-fat flour tortillas:

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
Directions:

Stir dry ingrediants together in mixing bowl. Add water gradually to form a crumbly dough, turn out on kneading board andknead until smooth. Divide into 12 peices (for large tortillas) shape each into balls then cover lightly in plastic and let rest 15 minutes. Do not skip this 15 minute rest period, or dough will not roll out thin.

After resting dough, roll out each ball as thin as possible, the thinner the better!

Place each tortilla on a dry preheated (375 degrees) griddle or heavy wide frying pan. Cook just long enough on each side to blister, then immedialty place them in a covered container or wrap in a dish towel, serve while warm.

These can be refrigerated and frozen too. Makes about a dozen or so fat-free tortillas.

Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 4-5-2006 at 11:09 AM
Au contraire mon frair

Entenmann's is a Kosher bakery.

Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 11:26 AM
Hecho de mano...

my husband has always wanted me to make flour tortillas, just like his mommy used to make! I've feigned ignorance for the last 8 years, even when he has me watch her to see how it's done! Looks like too much work for me, and he'd want them daily, just like when he was growing up! My suegra has slowed down with the daily duty as even she knows she can get them just as easily these days in La Paz. (but maybe not quite as tasty). The rheumatism she feels in her hands is blamed on her life-time of making tortillas as well. No press for her!

I get away with bringing down chocolate chip cookies when I visit the in-laws, and they work in place of the tortillas, easier to make too. I don't have any competition making these with my cunadas either, you know they're all afraid of their ovens down there anyway! Saludos, H.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 11:42 AM

There are no tortillas I know of that are better than the red-label ones in Mulege. They are not completely cooked, so they flake up really nicely. I have found some completely uncooked ones here in the States, but they turn out thicker and less flakey when I griddle them.

Once we were camped at La Perla in one of the palapa huts on the beach. I met this semi-hippied out guy in a hut on the bluff. I invited him to hang out in front of my palapa so he could enjoy the beach and lack of wind there. I offered to cook up one of the red-label tortillas and told him about how good they were. He accepted, but I could tell that he did not take to heart my enthusiasm for how good they were. It was funny how his tune changed when he bit into one. It was like, "Oh-man! I can't believe it; you were so right about these tortillas," and on and on. They are that good. I have found no other tortillas, Baja or elsewhere, that can compare with those. Lots of lard I'm sure. It's a good thing I'm not there to eat them 24/7.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 05:53 AM

Some of the frozen flour tortillas make good dumplings. Slice 'em into strips and toss 'em into whatever you want dumplings with, boil a while. Pretty good!:):)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.