Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Chile rellenos
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 03:28 PM
Now my diet is in mortal danger....

I went scouring around my wife's recipe library...which is volumes long...and found this great tasting one which is made with poblanos. I can vouch for this treat!

POBLANO CHICKEN & SHRIMP

4 boned, skinned chicken breasts
1/2 # shrimp
3 T canola oil
2 diced red onion
2 poblano peppers, roasted peeled seeded and dice
10 mushrooms sliced
2 cans Rotel tomatoes, drained
4 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 can reduced calorie, cream of mushroom soup
1/2 pt nonfat sour cream
1 tsp paprika, salt & pepper to taste
1 12 oz bag tortilla chips, crushed
1 # ricotta cheese
8 oz grated Monterey jack cheese
Sear chicken breasts in large skillet in 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil until
medium rare. Remove from pan and julienne cut chicken. Add remaining
1 1/2 tbsp oil to skillet and add onions and Poblanos and cook for 5
minutes. Add mushrooms, Rotel tomatos, cilantro, soup and sour cream,. Simmer
for 5 minutes adding paprika and salt & pepper to taste. Line bottom
of 9x13" casserole dish with crushed tortilla chips, sprinkle half of
ricotta cheese over top, then sprinkle with half of Monterrey jack,
chicken and ROTEL mixture. Repeat layers, placing shrimp on top. Add
another layer of Monterrey jack. Cook at 350 for 20 minutes.

Leave your portion unattended at your own risk.

[Edited on 4-5-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

I'm gaining weight just looking at your rellenos:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You CAN"T gain weight eating them desnudo...it's the batter and deep frying that adds all the calories!!!! So, see, you can eat a lot more rellenos this way!!! You can even call them healthy!
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 03:34 PM

Chile en Nogada...
is the wedding dish in "Like Water for Chocolate. Ther recipe in the book is excellent, if you are a somewhat intuitive cook, as it is vague, confusing, and interspersed with the story (December chapter).

There is a recipe for this dish in most good Mexican cookbooks, and every one is different. The filling almost always has beef, sometimes pork, apple, peach, candied citron, onion, raisins, almonds, and cumin. The sauce is walnuts finely ground, with queso fresco and cream to thin it. I have made it meatless, using rice, and it is good that way too.

I really love this dish, and eat it almost any time it is on a menu. Different every time, and always amazing! At Los Adobes in Todos Santos it is really sweet, made with beef, and excellent.

Judy, They serve it at Mi Casa in Cabo SL, and though it isn't the best I've had, it is a great atmosphere for such a festive dish! It is also on the menu at La Fonda (?) in Cabo, and the food there is so good, I wish I had eaten it there.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 03:42 PM

Excellent contributions. I will attempt to make it soon.

Pompano, that meal sounds pretty rich with all that queso. I'll bet it's awesome. My mom was the casserole wiz. She would have loved that. Her favorite additive was, of course, Corn Flakes.:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
[
You CAN"T gain weight eating them desnudo...

I see your point elizabeth. If I ate them desnudo it would certainly remind me not to eat too much.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 08:07 PM
Oh my, chiles rellenos

I love them!

According to Rick Bayliss (a well-respected chef and cookbook author who specializes in Mexican cuisine), poblano chiles are handled best when quickly charred over a hot flame and then rested in a bowl covered by a linen towel. Flame broiling in the oven comes in second.

I don't remember him saying so, but I've seen this opinion in other recipes that roasting and covering with plastic overcooks the the chiles because the goal is to get them hot quickly and then cool them down quickly.

Pompano, I've seen bell-pepper shaped poblanos in the market. The distinguishing characteristic is the deep green color as opposed to the "limonada" color of a bell pepper.

The best (and most consistent) chile rellenos preparation that I've had are from the La Nueva Cachanilla in Rosarito. The batter is a perfect, non-greasy robing of the soft, yet toothy chile that still retains its grassy, chewy spicy essence, even when reheated in the micro the next day. To die for!

Minor rant - I despise the cooks who are too lazy, too sloppy to remove the seeds.

Side note - yesterday I had a "taco rellena de jaiba" at the taco stand next to the Pemex in Primo Tapia/Cantamar (for some stange reason, it's not on the menu, just ask).

This was a jalapeno stuffed with crab and lightly covered with batter. Heaven on a plate. Sitting at the picnic table on a wood deck overlooking the Free Road and the Toll Road overpass, watching the white/gray/black clouds drift across the hills of the northern arm of the bay, it was a great meal.

Total bill, including a shrimp taco, 35 pesos.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 08:52 PM
YummY!

WOW Jan, I'm impressed with your description and use of adverbs! Do you write about food for a living?:lol:

The relleno I had was a bold, plump inviting affair. Lightly battered and deftly stuffed with a firm , nutty cheese. Tender enough to eat without much chew, the firmness was akin to a perfectly blanched bell pepper. Served topped with a hot "pico de gallo" style. I enjoyed it immensely.

I used to get egg-battered rellenos in Culver City. OH MAN were they good. They used the huge green anaheims. I've had many since similarily prepared but I'll always remember those.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 09:11 PM
Thanks, Sharks

for the praise.

I'm just the humble descendent of several generations of wordsmiths.

But, I degraded my heritage with a swerve into the worlds of advertising, marketing and pr.

Oh, the shame of it. :O:no:;D

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
[
You CAN"T gain weight eating them desnudo...

I see your point elizabeth. If I ate them desnudo it would certainly remind me not to eat too much.

Good going...This is really funny...I did mean the chiles should be desnudo, not the chile eaters!!!!!!

[Edited on 4-6-2006 by elizabeth]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 01:15 PM
Chile en Nogado

Check out this link for the recipe: http://www.fronterakitchens.com/cooking/recipes/stuffed_chil...

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 03:41 PM

This sounds very much like the recipe from "Like Water for Chocolate"-- refined and organized. The only major difference I see is in the sauce, which calls for "aged frech cheese"(!?!) in the English version, and I don't remember how the cheese is defined in the Spanish. And there is no sugar in the sauce, or sherry. It sounds like an excellent recipe... my mouthis watering!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.