Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: El Camino Real Mule Ride
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 07:48 PM
El Camino Real Mule Ride

Nomad Baja Bucko, a lady that will never see the first half-century of her life again, had just returned from her umtheenth mule ride over a section of the El Camino Real mule trail between Missions. This time she did a loop trip going south from Mission on one route of the ECR and returning on another. She reports the condition of the trail (after a couple of hundred years!) varies between a "freeway" and overgrown so much that she and her guide had to travel alongside the trail.

An amazing woman, and quite a historian, too. She is also working on the genelogy of the pioneer Baja families. She has completed about 90% of the ECR now.

All you Machos out there, let's hear it for Women of Accomplishment!

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 08:02 PM
Right on,Neal!

lets hear it for the nomadic women that provide some great insight on this forum....before I went on this site I wouldve never figured that many women would take much interest in a place like baja but i've been proven wrong and my own wife is now a baja fanatic which of course makes me one of the happiest guys in the world:biggrin::biggrin:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 10:33 PM

Baja Bucko was the first Baja Internet person I got into long IM and email conversations with... She is indeed a Baja history fanatic...

Here is Baja Bucko and I when we met in 2001... She was on her way to Santa Ynez with her two sons to ride the padre's cargo trail down to Gonzaga Bay and back... This is not the El Camino Real through Mision Santa Maria, but a trail built to bring supplies to the new mission at San Fernando which the Franciscans deemed to be a far better location. Following that mule ride they continued on south to do some kayaking and fishing. I delivered some fishing gear that Whistler put together for them... We all used to chat on the GoBaja chat room.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 12:24 PM

Neal,

Thanks for the report, I was just thinking about her and wondering if she was back yet. I was really interested in going along with her on this trip, but time and $ weren't working on my side. I am not giving up though!

I can't wait to hear a first hand report!

Fondly,
Your WIW with a really low #,
P.<*)))><:saint:

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 08:20 AM

does she take her own mules or hire them locally? also, what are the logistics of bringing your own mules to baja to do some trail riding?? thank you for any input....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 08:28 AM
Trudi Angell

http://www.tourbaja.com/saddlsedu.html

I first met Trudi at the early Outward Bound/NOLS kayaking and survival school at Coyote Bay around 1974 or so. She is one of the most dynamic outdoorswomen I know in Baja. A mule trip through her would be a memory of a lifetime.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 09:20 PM

Pappy,
Teddi has her own saddle, but rents local mules and hires old Baja hands that usually have ridden the local sections of the trail they will ride.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 11:59 AM
Mules

Had a uncle that was killed by a mule. A mule will work 10 years for just one chance to kick you. Ever been kicked by a full grown mule/ horse? Not good. Been kicked by a horse, not a head shot, will get your undivided attention, we're talking about some serious pain. Careful!! They can put you on the disabled list for life.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 01:37 PM

Big animals can deal some serious pain and injury. They're not all cute and cuddly as Mr. Disney would like for you to believe. Not saying be afraid, just be educated. Have been bitten, clawed, kicked, stung and whatever else by those sweet 'lil critters. Be careful what you pet, it might not want to be petted.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2006 at 06:27 AM

In the 7th grade a friend was kicked in the head by a horse. Ugly scar on his forehead. Worse I've had happen was to be kicked by a cow while milking her. She kicked forward and knocked me into her front legs. For a moment I thought I was going to be stomped on. I was only 10 at the time.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2006 at 04:30 PM

Neal-
thanks for the info. yep, been stepped on and kicked by mules and horses alike.mules are extremely fast in their delivery of the kick, and yes, it hurts something fierce!!!:o

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.