Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Loreto is Booming
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 09:19 AM
Park National Jefe is Roberto

Pam--Roberto is his name. While they have not been checking the tourists boats coming in---they probably will be in the future. I do not know where they get their information from. That is why I always start a tread by saying some is verified and some not. As you and I both know, there are a million places a pangero can put in to offload fish or turtles before coming into the marina. And yes, the fish were full of eggs and that makes me sick too. However, some regulation is better than none. Yes, Profeppa is very shorthanded. But in all fairness to the netters, I found plenty of yellowtail when I went fishing. I am unable to sex the fish while catching them so I too, am guilty of taking fish with eggs in them. I feel terrible when I filet them and find the eggs. But this can't be helped. As I was told by Profeppa, only four or five permits are given each year to net and they are very expensive. My feeling is that the sportfishing fleet is far to one side and the commercial interest are just as far to the other side. Some kind of balance must be maintained. In California, the dept of fish and game let the sardine population get competely fished out and that had a drastic effect of fishing in the Los Angeles area. I beleive striking a fair balance (fair to all) is the only answer.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 11:33 AM
(sic) sanctuary

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
sharks baja please explane (sic) in this caption??
(They also are not saddled up next to a protected(sic) marine sanctuary.)

do you think the marine park is worse off then befor?? do you think it is harming the area??
just asking your opinion
have a good one jerry

Jerry, think about it. Why are the Park officials impotent as far as (some)enforcement goes. As caretakers, law enforcement and stewards of the land, I find that the title and premise fall short of being a real "sanctuary". :?:

There should not be any harm from anyone in a true sanctuary. Everyone who takes from such an area contributes to it's (possible) demise.
My point is t6hat the enforcement and emphasis is NOT on counting and protecting fish.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 12:13 PM

As far as we're concerned, the emphasis on enforcement in this marine "sanctuarary" is on collecting 20 pesos per day from each person "using" the park.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
As far as we're concerned, the emphasis on enforcement in this marine "sanctuarary" is on collecting 20 pesos per day from each person "using" the park.

I attended a meeting with the park people last year, and we once gave one of them a ride back down from San Javier. I got the impression that they were honest, sincere, and really wanted the park to work.

But...

A couple of things I didn't like. At least one of the employees I met has the modern environmentalist/protectionist dislike of sportfishers. Uh-oh.

Also, I felt that they lacked political "weight." They all struck me as young and inexperienced, and I doubted that they had the clout to do much without the blessing of Profepa or more powerful agencies. They do not have the clout to get an appropriated budget from Mexico City.

I fear that the niche they have found is to scrounge dollars from tourists, 20 pesos at a time, and maybe get some foundation or environmental group grants by promoting closed marine reserves.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 07:50 PM

Actually, Don, Profepa and the Park National are working hand in hand. The park is managed by a younger group---but they are educated and want to do what is best for all concerned. True, they have been short on funds and still are. However, they patrol the waters with the Marinos and Profepa people. I think they will be playing a bigger role in the future. They are all connected with the other Park personel from Guerro Negro and other National Parks.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 08:05 PM

(hey also are not saddled up next to a protected(sic) marine sanctuary.)
Sanctuary?? i though it was a marine park theres a lot of differences in my mind
eather way you cant throu out the baby with the bath water
and this is still mexico and its change will be slow if any
and those who go by the rules pay the money and those who have the mony make the rules
no different then in the states the leaders of the (so called)inviromentalists are in bed with the politions both make billions as there patsys get there hands dirty
only difference in mexico is that its out in the open to see

i think that the park is a great idea and conservation is a good thing
and i think that it will come about when the time is right and i dought that what any american says will do mutch but do as your passion drives you to do its what makes life worth living
have a good one

jerry and judi
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
(hey also are not saddled up next to a protected(sic) marine

i think that the park is a great idea and conservation is a good thing

and i think that it will come about when the time is right and i dought that what any american says will do mutch but do as your passion drives you to do its what makes life worth living

Jerrys right, the marine park is defintely not a sanctuary. The plan calls for a balance in order to sustain fisheries. Who can make that call on a "real-time" basis.

I agree 100% that it's a good thing, the Marine Park. But it's survival depends on the ability of the caretakers to insure that it remains viable. If it is not a true sactuary in it's own terms then maybe it's time to lean more in that direction. Fishermen and enforcers get mixed signals when it issue has so much grey area regarding who and what can be caught. . I would prefer to think that the doctrin dictates the preservation and not when someone decides the time is right based on politics and money.

And thanks for letting a foreigner care Jerry. Thank God there are some who cross borders and issues without nationality being an integer.

I think they will listen to Pam. I hope so.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
tippytoestrish
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 06:41 PM
how are the people taking the change??

I've just registered to be on this site, because my family is planning to go down there for a break from Americanism for the summer. Haven't been there since 1998, but have been down many times before that. Are the locals enjoying any prosperity out of the "improvements" or are they bitter?? Will we still be able to walk around town and make friends, or are strangers becoming unwelcomed? I, too, always have loved Loreto, and cannot wait to immerse myself and my family in it again for awhile--would love to stay a couple years, but without income, alas, imposible. Would love my children to become bilingual and go through their schools a bit. Some of my fondest memories of visiting Loreto with my family involved Daddy flying us in his little Cessna down there. I truly have the flying spirit in me and its my dream to learn someday, too. Just a little more than I can spend on myself at this point in my family life. Thanks for taking any of your time to respond. :bounce:
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 08:31 PM

Right now it looks like many Loretans are enjoying prosperity. A lot of the construction going on is in Mexican homes and businesses.Lots of new trucks on the streets. Most folks are friendly if you are, some are not... same as it ever was.
The difficulty for you may be in finding a low cost rental here, although summer may be the easiest season.
Good luck to you!

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 09:21 PM
Tippytoe

You will find the people in Loreto to be as pleasant as ever. They do not have any hostility towards the tourists. Rentals are scarce as the workers for Loreto Bay have rented most of the cheaper places. However, there are plenty of hotel rooms. If you are looking for a long term lease, I can scout around for you if you tell me what your requirements are. I am sure I can find you something. Most of the project are out of town in Nopolo, Playa Ensenada Blanca, Punta Bajo and San Bassillo (?). There is talk of moving the airport to San Juan.....but that may be a ways off.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 08:46 AM

"Profepa and the Park National are working hand in hand. The park is managed by a younger group---but they are educated and want to do what is best for all concerned. True, they have been short on funds and still are."
Well, I think the Loreto Bay Foundation has about $1.5 million dollars that could be put to good use.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.