Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: best tacos in baja?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 08:15 AM
best tacos in baja?

here is a copy of an email i recieved form a friend laying claim to the best tacos in baja. i know that such status can never really be awarded because there are just too many taco stands and not enough time and/or room in the stomach. but it's fun trying...

Hola!

Well I looked and unfortunately it doesn?t look like I have any pictures of The Taco Stand. But I swear that it?s easy to find.

As you?re heading south through San Quintin, it?s going to be on the south west corner. It?s at a traffic light towards the north end of town and there just aren?t that many traffic lights in San Quintin. Directly behind the taco stand is a dirt park. On the northwest corner/side of the intersection is a fruteria/popsicle store.

It?s worth it! Best fish and shrimp tacos we?ve found?so far!

Good luck!

Mike

anyone wanna second this opinion?

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 08:54 AM

For fish or shrimp tacos, my favorites are El Rey in Loreto, the carne guy next to the old El Nido in Mulege(cant for the life of me remember the name..help me, Bruce or Pompano), Hermanos Gonzalez in La Paz and Rossy's in San Jose del Cabo. All in BCS. I used to have a favorite in Ensenada, right on the corner next to the fish market but havent been there in too many years to recommend it.

bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 10:18 AM

Woody,
that place is up there on my list...
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 10:23 AM

Kate
Where is El Rancho Viejo?

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 11:17 AM

I hate to say it becasue I always thought it was a cart in Ensenada but my last two trips I stopped at a hole in the wall on Ninos de Revolution in Cabo. the little ladies had steaming pots of goodies but there was no front wall or door and they had drinnk boxes and beer coolers that weren't locked so I asked them when they closed-- never they said-- open 24/7/365. We have been the only gringos I have ever seen any time we have been in there and the locals keep it open.

Best fish and shrimp tacos - and I've eaten them from Ensenda south.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 11:28 AM

Thanks Kat
I will have to look for that one!
Sounds like my kind of place

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 09:21 PM

Judy. Francisco's father who started El Ray (I agree with you 100%) in Loreto, retired & turned it over to his son. Poncho (the father) has opened a store in Insurgentes. It is at the n.e. corner of the junction when you turn either north into Ins. or go south to Cuidad Constitution. White building right side. The other day he was serving shrimp tacos. Oh my gosh, I've got to tell you I died and went to heaven!!!!! Says that his son is considering going back to shrimp soon in Loreto, plus the carne & fish.
It is a 'must stop' either going north or south. Tell him Felipe the gringo from Loreto sent you.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 10:18 PM
Yep! Tacos El Rey!

Of all my 40 yrs+ of eating tacos in Baja, this is by far my favorite! So fresh, and ya better get there before they run out,about 1:30 if my memory serves me right. Right on again Judy!:P

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 05:23 AM

By far.... Tacos Yaqui in Rosarito... unbelievable. They call them "perrones". Order them with everything!
Bob H
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 06:03 AM

i like the new taco bell in cabo myself. they make em just like in phoenix.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
i like the new taco bell in cabo myself. they make em just like in phoenix.

Capt. Mike.... you went to Cabo? Huh? What? :spingrin:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 06:35 AM
Taco de Cabeza

If you have ever even thought about eating a taco de cabeza, you should have one at El Rey. I thought about eating one for years and finally decided that El Rey was the place to do it. For those of you who dont know what one is. It is the meat in the head of the cow. Although in "Enchiladas, Rice and Beans" the character talked about getting there early for the eyes, the brains and the tongue, all that is in a taco is meat. It is moist and very flavorful.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 10:22 PM
Woody, I would second that, but......

......after the last time I went there, I was disappointed with the decline in the number of condiments they are now setting out. Gone is the bowl of crema mexicana with lime juice. It has been replaced by a brushing of MAYONNAISE on the tortilla just before they place the fish in it. Very disappointing. And, I believe, they are now 1.00.

Their variety of salsas has also declined.

The place begins with the letter "P"; something like La Pasadita or ? I have hit it often in the past because you can park a long vehicle/trailer combo along the "dirt park" AND there is a pretty good nieveria along the park as well.

But there is one item they serve there that I will always thank them for turning me onto: the soy sauce soaked, fried (without batter) jalapenos. I keep a jar at home, now, all the time. They are good on SO MANY THINGS. Just three minutes in oil, let them cool and drain and float them in soy sauce.

Dont forget to slit the jalapeno before they go into the oil or you will have a little greenade. :wow:
jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 08:01 AM

the little peppers are great,thanks for the warning I will make soma soon;D;D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.