Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Southern Baja surf questions
Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

cool.gif posted on 4-20-2006 at 10:33 PM
Southern Baja surf questions

Hi folks, just looking for general advice for a trip my daughter and I will be taking from about June 9th to July 5th, about 22 days. We plan to stay on the east cape, camping out. Last October we surfed for the first time at Zippers in San Jose del Cabo. We had a few good day for beginners. Think there will be any surf on the Pacific side? Any good spots that may not be as crowded? On another site a surfer asked about small tides compaired to large tides. What is the difference? My daughter will be 14 years old, and pretty good in the ocean, I am a 30 plus year freediver, only a little surfing experience. This will be my 32nd trip to baja, my daughters 3rd, we are excited! Thanks for any help, and any other advice, fishndiveron, Ron Perry
chickensoup

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 11:01 PM

I would not recommend surfing in Baja or surfing in general. It's dangerous, expensive and all that wax gets stuck in your chest hair.

Hey, could someone please tell me what happened to that boulder that used to be in the shorebreak at Zippers?
Cardon
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2006 at 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron_Perry
We had a few good day for beginners. Think there will be any surf on the Pacific side? Any good spots that may not be as crowded?

On the Pacific side try Los Cerritos just south of Todos Santos. Its a good spot for beginners. Then run on up to Todos Santos to Barajas for Tacos de Carnitas. Barajas is one of the best taco joints in Baja. 4 miles north of Todos Santos is La Pastora which is a world famous surf spot . Here is a picture I took earlier this year of Jenni Flanigan at La Pastora. If you go to my website I have a gallery of surf pics from La Pastora.

My Baja photos are now on my site
For more Baja Photos go to
this website
http://baja.smugmug.com/
http://craigpearson.com/
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-21-2006 at 06:28 AM

why do you want to stay on the east cape if surfing is what you want to do?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 4-21-2006 at 01:08 PM

Bruce - there are 2 east capes - one for surfing and one for fishing. The fishing one goes from Barriles to Gorda, while the surfing one typically goes from Gorda to Boca de Tule. On a close in chubasco, you can actually surf Frailes and Pulmo and other pints to the north. So that's why they want to camp on the east cape.

To answer Ron's question, you're probably better off staying on the east cape since that will pick up the most waves. For the pacific side to go off in the summer the swell will have to come more out of the southwest. Either way, the water and air will be cooler on the pacific. The best thing is that you have enough time to stay on both sides. As for Zippers, I would stay away from that place in July, unless you're ready to do battle. In october, many of the locals were working. In july, they ain't, and they're already pretty steamed up about all the idiot gringos who think they can rip the place and will generally show no mercy to beginners. Besides, July is the best time for mid morning east cape glass offs, and gorgeous uncrowded sunset surfs...I have already said too much!

As for the tides, I didn't understand the question or the concern. If anything, a full moon will accentuate a weak swell because of the tidal extremes, not in spite of them. Sure, parts of the day will be flat, but other parts of the day will be bigger than without the tides. I think he was too concerned about impressing his boss....he should spend more time in the water to wash off that brown stuff on his nose!!!:smug:
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2006 at 02:30 PM

What you might want to consider Ron, is that the East cape (Shipwrecks, 9 Palms area ?) will be HOT HOT HOT for camping. Are you flying in with only a tent, driving down with your own RV ?... You and your daughter's comfort may determine more where you guys end up rather than the waves. If you're flying down, I'd make sure to have a car so you can escape to the Pacific side for relief!

We've done it many times in our camper without AC, but fans are mandatory to keep the air moving and still it's often pushing the limit of even the most heat-tolerant nuts. For any type of camping at this time of year you must bring some kind of shade.

If you'd planned on only bare-bones camping on the East cape in July, I'd consider other options too because I think you guys would find it way too uncomfortable to spend your whole trip out there.

[Edited on 4-26-2006 by oladulce]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.