Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying windows & doors in Baja
bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2006 at 02:20 PM
Buying windows & doors in Baja

We're building a small place in BOLA. We would like to buy windows and doors in Baja if that makes sense. If purchased in the US we would probably pay $4-5,000 for everthing at Home Depot or Lowes. Then I guess we would need to hire a broker and then pay customs. I'd like to avoid the hassle at the border and support the local economy. So.....

1. Does it make sense to buy these in Baja?
2. If so, any recommendations on the best place to get them? Tijuana, Ensenada, San Quentin, or even Guerrero Negro would be okay.
3. Any idea how prices will be relative to U.S.?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Bowser
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-24-2006 at 07:10 PM

in all the houses I have built here in Mulege we have had the windows and doors made right here and they are very nice and cheaper than trying to bring them down. but I think I might check home dept. now that we have them in baja.

I always like to support the local craftsman .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2006 at 07:34 PM

Small place? $4-5000 for doors and windows?

How many doors and windows? Local craftsman should be able to do that for a lot less.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 4-24-2006 at 08:09 PM
New home Depot in Ensenada

if you really want to buy there but the guys are giving you good advise on having a local do it for you,k:yes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2006 at 08:20 PM

Bowser

Check with the locals.

GN does not have a lot of selection. Ensenada has a lot but is a long ways away.

I had all my stuff done locally (Abreojos, a lot smaller town) for a fraction of the price you are talking.

The prices you are quoting are way high for a "small" place

I am sure that you can do better by checking locally in Bahia LA.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2006 at 11:48 PM

Bowser,

I don't think there are any places in Bahia to have doors and windows made. You might talk to Ramon and Reina at the local fereterria in town. On the North side of the museum you will find his shop. He stocks lumber and other building supplies. I have used a lumber yard in Maneadero on 3 seperate occassions. different results each time. The last time they hosed me. Ramon's prices would have been 10% or so lower than what I paid the last time in Maneadero. The 10% less included the delivery charge to the bay.

I too need windows and doors for our place in the bay. I have a friend of a friend getting the windows for me. I plan on buying the other items at Ensenadas Home Depot. On the big item list is, Doors prehung, knobs and locks, fluor light fixt, kitchen sink and faucet, bathroom sink and faucet, shower head and mixer, toilet and plumbing, stove top and oven, water heater, washing machine, ETC ETC.

2 trips, cause you know I'm going to miss, forget stuff. I'll probably make the trip end of May. I'll post What the outcome is.

Bedman
bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 10:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your input so far. This forum always delivers!

Yes, rts551, it is a small house. About 1300 sqare feet, but lots of windows. Sixteen actually. Most of them are 4X6 foot. I'm thinking aluminum sliders.

I know there is a small shop in Guerrero Negro. The guys who build our garage got the small aluminum sliders there. I had to go back to get one fixed after we broke the second day we were there! They were helpful and inexpensive. The single pane aluminum windows actually work fine. I just don't know if they can handle a bigger order for bigger windows. Anyone have experience with them?

Bedman, I thought the guy who ran the fereterria was Pepe who also has the block "factory". Same person as Ramon?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bowser
Thanks everyone for your input so far. This forum always delivers!

Yes, rts551, it is a small house. About 1300 sqare feet, but lots of windows. Sixteen actually. Most of them are 4X6 foot. I'm thinking aluminum sliders.

I know there is a small shop in Guerrero Negro. The guys who build our garage got the small aluminum sliders there. I had to go back to get one fixed after we broke the second day we were there! They were helpful and inexpensive. The single pane aluminum windows actually work fine. I just don't know if they can handle a bigger order for bigger windows. Anyone have experience with them?

Bedman, I thought the guy who ran the fereterria was Pepe who also has the block "factory". Same person as Ramon?

I think they will be happy to get the larger order.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 07:00 PM

lWe had out windows made at that aluminum window shop on the main drag in Guerrero Negro and they were very inexpensive and can make the screens too and when one does break or whatever, they are great at fast repair...I found them very fair and professional and cheap....and ask for a discount if you have lots made..lthey give good discounts too, but ya have to ask.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 07:34 PM

If you are driving through Ensenada, there is an Amsco window shop in Ensenada, 9th st and Ruiz Ave....makes all kinds of vinly windows. They are advertising 50% off factory prices (whatever those are). I have used their windows here in the US and am quite satisfied. Also may want to try the Home Depot in Ensenada.
bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 08:38 AM

Great info!. Now how about 6 foot sliding doors. Does anyone know if the Amsco shop in Ensenada sells those? How about the shop in Guerrero Negro?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 08:25 PM

Bought 6 foot vinyl sliders from Amsco here in Nevada. Think that is a common size. They should have them in stock
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 06:36 AM

your local window shop can make 6 foot sliders also. if you pay a little extra they can get the aluminum components in different colors of anodize. I like the Black.

I had 8 foot ones made for my Ranch house by the local guys here in Mulege

[Edited on 4-27-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 06:44 PM
AMSCO ENSENADA

Phone numbers
(646)178-8145 or toll free 01-800-026-3586
Ad in the Baja Times states they will deliver and install in all of Baja
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 10:00 PM
Buy-em right the first time.....

Hey guys just a note for the consumer.. This is my trade , my
way of making Baja happen for me...

Windows put to gether down south are cut and fabricated at the stores... the problam is , TEMPERED safty glass.. It takes a furnace to manufacture.... I am in the greater Sacremento area and we have one furnace in Dixon, and the next closest one is in San Fransico....

I can not tell you how many times I have pulled the bloody glass loose from the frames to replace.. Dogs , kids. You can not imagin the sight of it.........

Please do not try to save a buck....

If you have to drag supplies down from Norte, as I am doing, and have to pay a few dollars for import... It will be the best money you can spend....

Good luck on your build... Martin-o
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 06:58 AM

If you decide not to go cheap a good source for dual pane vinyl clad Milgard windows and doors is Jose Lopez, the Milgard Export Sales guy who can have them shipped for you and everything. He did a good job for us at a very fair price.
Cell 619 7197824
lopez1@bc.cablemas.com
I've seen lots of aluminum sliders go funky after about five years of corrosion and regular use.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.