Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Parasites and amoebas
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 09:36 AM

Georock

Great info on bentonite clay.

Since La Paz tapwater is GRAS, I've been using bottled water only for the morning coffee. Comitan pointed out to me that the tinacas tinacos the rooftop cisterns can become contaminated. How does one lab test the water?

Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 11:07 AM

As per villadelfin we are interested in knowing how to test our water source as well as
care for our 3000 gal cistern (?sp) For the time being the water is not sitting in the cistern for too long as there is construction going on. When we are away, and the water is sitting in the cistern, should we be adding product? Someone suggested bleach????
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 11:15 AM

The most popular method currently in use to maintain water quality is Chlorination

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 01:14 PM

I have a friend who is looking into water testing and a system to rid of parasites. I'll post again when I have more info from her.

And I knew, JUST KNEW, I'd be kidded big time for this post! Gotta love you guys!

And Paulina, I have acquired a taste for good mezcal--worm or not. I just don't eat the little bugger.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 01:15 PM

I highly suggest that the water you drink and bath in has a filter on it to rid of the chlorine. Many alternative medicine thinkers are linking chlorine to breast cancer.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 01:25 PM

...so, add chlorine and use a filter??? Any ideas of where to find out quantities?
Suggestions for good filters???
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 5-6-2006 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marie-Rose
...so, add chlorine and use a filter??? Any ideas of where to find out quantities?
Suggestions for good filters???
Marie Rose... Are you and Fred back in TS? Call me 'bout this... (yep, water filters, too) :)

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 5-6-2006 at 02:18 PM

RE Chlorine quantity, here is a link For Water Disinfection Info

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2006 at 03:57 PM

Thanks Allen...should have known:tumble:
We will be back for a couple of weeks in July. Will be in touch with you then. Greetings to Debra!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 12:09 AM
Bucketful of problems and remedies

if you want more info previously mentioned:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=12791#pid1053...

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 06:48 AM

If you have a contaminated or unknown system you want to cleanse, add chlorine to make approximately 8-10 ppm and leave this in the system overnight. Slowly drain the system through all outlets that also need sanitizing.

Once the sanitizing is complete, you can refil and flush the system. A typical chlorine content for daily use would range from 0.5 to 2.0 ppm measured at the point of use. (I would keep to the bottom of this range unless you are having contamination problems.) Various style and sensitivity chlorine testers are available from pool stores and plumbing supply stores.

Another common source of contamination that most people don't consider is at the spigot or hose bib. Occasional touching of the end by humans and others or by raw meat or fish, even blowing dust with game or livestock fecies can contaminate the spigot. It's a good idea to soak them with bleach or if they are not near the valve (which heat could damage), use a torch to disinfect.

Actual testing would probably be easiest done by taking a sample to a local lab from time to time. Test for inorgnics once when you start using the well to check for suspended metals, arsenic etc. Test periodically thereafter for organics ie coliform, ecoli, chripto....

Consider testing within a few days after a heavy rain if you have an open source.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 06:51 AM

Water filters using sieves, chemicals or UV/ozone technologies are available all over. Ozone is the best overall for larger situations but you need a bunch of power. When properly maintained, filters work fairly well but often restrict maximum water flows.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.