Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Mexican Form of Honor
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 03:38 PM
A Mexican Form of Honor

A Mexican Form of Honor

Living in Bahia de Los Angeles is no simple task, especially for an airhead like me. Just in the last few months I have walked away from change at the market without thinking. At times it has been a significant amount of change. More than change actually, it has been in the $50.00 range. On two occasions I have driven back the rough road to the village as quickly as I remembered my mistake. My correct change was always placed on a shelf behind the checkout register. It was always the right amount. While I always expected to be treated honorably, one never quite knows.

A week ago I pulled into the Pemex station in the village. I was planning on filling up my 40 gallon tank and also a couple of 6 gallon cans to re-supply my generator at the house. I had forgotten to get the gas cap key from Mary Ann before I left. A young fellow working at the station said he might be able to open the cap and we probed the slot with every key on his chain but were not able to open the tank. I thanked him and left wondering if I had enough gas to get home. I did. I spent the drive appreciating the man?s efforts on my behalf. I completely forgot my $100.00. I am far from comfortable monetarily; that money meant a lot to me, obviously not enough though that I would pay greater attention. Two days later I remembered the key to the tank and pulled into the Pemex.

?You have a credit of $100.00.? the clerk told me.

Several days later we were having dinner at Costa del Sol restaurant/bar/hotel in the center of town. I was trying to catch up with our visiting friends who had paid for almost everything up to that point. We had been served in the warm spring evening under the outdoors palapas and had an excellent meal. In paying beside the bar I dropped my wallet. I knew it and recovered it immediately, paid the bill and we all left. The next day I returned to the hotel for a bowl of soup, always a cream base and excellent. I ordered from a young lady. She brought me a Pacifico con limon and my soup. A few minutes later Victoria, the owner, showed me two credit cards, asking if they weren?t mine. They were. They had fallen out of my wallet when I had dropped it the night before. I would have no clue where they had gone. A local fisherman also inquired if I had recovered my cards. He had found them the night before on the floor.

Other than surviving my own stupidity I have received all the help I can get from my local friends. I have always known, growing part of my life in Mexico, how honest the people are. They recognize when help is needed and are most willing.

I?m not a participant in an organized religion. But I know honor, worth and integrity when I see them. I want to participate in those values; they were terminated in my family life when I was young. I am proud that I can continue to learn these values from my children. And my Mexican friends.

God bless us all.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 04:28 PM

Mike thanks for sharing your story. I also have many stories of help from strangers.
One day we were sitting at the house and the phone rang. It was a man speaking Spanish asking for my husband...by his full given name. I knew that the man didnt actually know my husband by the way he asked for him, but I put him on the line. Wel,l in this family when the Spanish get complicated, the phone gets handed to me. After a few minutes and a couple of thumbs through the dictionary, I figured out the word he kept saying...cartera....wallet. He had found my husband's wallet in the road. My Spanish was not good enough to figure out exactly where but I did understand in the road. We agreed on a place to meet in La Playita. He showed up with the wallet and a big grin. He would not take one cent. Jim practically crammed some pesos in his pocket but he said over and over...NO. We are still friends and wave each time we see each other.

Now I will tell another story on me. There used to be a little store near San Lucas(not Cabo San Lucas) that sold ice, sodas, etc. We stopped in there one day to get some beer and ice before we drove out to Punta Chivato. I paid the lady and we got in the car and drove off. I put my hand in my pocket and found that the lady had given me 100 pesos too much. I told Jim that we had to turn around. When I walked in and told her what had happened, she started crying. She said that she would have had to pay that out of her pay.....3 days I think she said.

Honor and honesty...something money cant buy! The Mexican people know that.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 04:48 PM

Thank you Mike... The 'Bay of the Angels' means more now, because the wonderful people who live there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 04:54 PM

And people wonder why we live here(in Mexico)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 04:59 PM

leaving money

dropping wallets and credit cards...

i say old age is hell

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 05:12 PM

Yea BS, I would rather be dead.:P

My chiropractor told me today that I was not getting old. I was just getting older.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 05:16 PM

:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 04:39 AM

Mike. Thanks for a good story of the Mexican People!

Due to your influence at the first Book signing I am now starting to write that Book!!
The Mexican people that I have dealt with in Loreto and Baja Sur since my First trip in 1968 have shown many acts of Honesty ,Honor , and character.

For many years while staying at the Hotel Oasis with Gloria Benziger, we could leave our wallets in the rooms while going on a Day of fishing.
There were many changes after the road opened and T.V. came to Loreto due to the American influences-Some good and some Bad.

It took me nearly 5 years to be able to Dance at the Plaza. finally one night a Local came to me and gave me permission to dance with his Daughters. From that time on I was able to ask any Ladys's chaporone{SP] for a Dance.
At that time there were no "Short Shorts",Tank tops, etc. allowed into the Mission.
Over the many years I have found that the People of Loreto and Baja Sur are still its most valuable Resourse!

Thanks Mike for all you good Advice-You , Jimmy Smith, Bernie, Jr, Keri, Geo rock, Capt. Mike, and all the others will be in that Book{if I can remember}.

Now as a Stable Hand for my Wife and several other Ladies in Timber CreeK Canyon, I wear a sign around my Neck to remind me to "close the Gates" -Mike it comes with Age!!

Skeet/Loreto
Anon the Preacher
Skeeter Peter
Skeet/Texas

"In God I Trust"
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 10:53 AM
Thank you for

your kind words.

Skeet, get your butt back to Baja. She misses you! You are a part of her soul. Keep writing. If I can help please let me know. mhumfreville (at) hotmail (dot) com
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 03:52 AM

Mike I am headed back! I get cold chills thinking about it.
Meeting my Daughter and Family in Bakersfield June 11th.
Arriving San Quintin for the first Night and on to Loreto late the following day. They are taking My Grand children with them , living in Loreto for three months and maybe getting their work Permits and staying two Years.

Was Grounded yesterday, so will not be able to Fly down with Capt. Mike.
Will try to see you on the return Trip.

God Bless you and MaryAnn!
"God Willing and the Creeks Don't Rise".

Skeet/Loreto
Anon the Preacher
Skeeter Peter
SkeetTexas

"In God I trust"
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 08:06 AM
Damn it Mike

Why is it when I say nice things about my Baja Friends I get hung out to dry?????

No matter---give Mary Ann the wallet, money and credit cards and you keep the key to the gas cap---but then you won't have nice things to write about.

Look forward to having you sign a book for me on May 6th BUT don't drop you wallet near me.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
nojmanloo

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 06:30 AM

My first post:tumble:

I thought I would relay my story

After spending the previous trips to Mexico on Isla Holbox we decided to try a new area and ventured to Baja. I found a little bakery just down from where we were staying and went into by some rolls and limes. After purchasing those items I noticed a beautiful little girl with big brown eyes looking at me from around the counter, she was maybe 2 years old and obviously the daughter of the ladie working. I picked up a sucker from the candy section and pulled out my wallet and bought the sucker and handed it to the little girl as I left.

An hour later back in my room I began getting ready for supper and noticed my wallet was not in my pocket. I looked everywhere and could not find it. The last that I remebered having it was in the bakery. I went back and when I asked the ladie she went back to a small desk and opened the top drawer and there was my wallet. The $600 plus dollars was all there along with my credit cards and ID. I took out a $100 dollar bill to give to the ladie but she would not take it.

I went back to that store every day for the rest of the trip and bought 6 limes and a sucker, giving the ladie $20 and leaving before she could give me change.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 06:54 AM

Welcome to Nomad and for posting the nice story...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-2-2006 at 09:30 PM

thanks and welcome nojmanloo please write some more good stories .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

sanfelipebob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 05:29 AM

I love your stories but one has to ask, does alcohol play much of a part ??? Ha Ha
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 06:04 AM

I've been going to Mexico, both Baja and the Mainland, since the 60's. I have always told people one of the nice things about Mexicans is that not only are they kind and friendly, they are honest to a fault. These stories only reinforce my feelings. The only people that would be surprised by these stories are people that don't know Mexicans. VIVA MEXICO!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 08:13 AM

Most of us have great stories of times we have been helped, and about the values and character of the Mexican people. That character follows them when they move to this country.

When we lived in Calexico, many of our neighbors were Mexican citizens---they had businesses or worked in Mexicali, but chose to live in Calexico. While we were at work one day, our young dog got out of the yard. He had tags, but we were not at home to answer the phone.

Thus, the family who found him a couple of blocks away, sat in their front yard with our dog knowing that when we got home we would probably drive around looking for him. They were right. In my VERY limited Spanish, I offered them a reward, and of course they said NO.

A week later we took them a big box of Sees candy, and the father cried. It was a great neighborhood.

Diane

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.