Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adios o A Dios?
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 08:56 PM
Adios o A Dios?

Adios o A Dios?

I don?t know and it?s only a philosophical pregunta anyway. And, purely as an aside, Mary Ann and I and our son Miguelito, then one year old, lived in Spain, on a bluff near Torremolinos and overlooking the mouth of the Mediterranean Sea and that wild place we call Africa. On a clear day we could see the tall mountains of that continent. From our small place in Benalmadena-Pueblo and in the spring a goatherd led his small band down the steep slopes of our hills to where the grass was greener. Occasionally one of the female goats gave birth during the day; the man would carry the baby back up the hill in the late afternoon as the sun was setting. He?d often see us watching and would hold the baby up for our appreciation. Our world was filled with tiny delights.

Friends flew down to our house in Bahia de Los Angeles a few days ago for a too short visit. They landed their Cessna at the dirt airstrip just south of our house. Bob taxied it up and atop of a small cement slab, the only one, and tied it up to buried old and well-worn tires. They make a perfect device for securing a small plane against the wind.

Gato, the guard of the gate to the strip and the small array of houses adjacent to the runway, was there to help our friends in any way he could. I have met Gato and, because of my simple prejudices, was somehow intimidated by him. It was my issue, not his, and he has always been friendly to me. It?s just that he?s a guard I guess. Because of my friends we got to talking with him and enjoyed his company. He is a gentle man.

We spent three days, our friends and Mary Ann and I, talking, eating and sharing experiences. Bob and Mickey, with whom I worked for many years at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, took our boat out and visited all the local islands of which there are many. All of us are more than familiar with the peninsula and we had a number of experiences to swap and it was a great visit.

Before they left for their return to the States, Bob took us all up into the air in his Cessna. While I have seen Baja California from the air as far back as the ?60?s, there is nothing like sharing her glorious views with friends. Bob flew us all around the bay and as far south as Las Animas. A beautiful flight on a clear and warm day. It is a unique perspective from the air, painting an entire picture. On landing we had learned to utilize the southern portion of the 2000 foot strip as it was somewhat smoother. Gato was there to assist us again in tying the plane down.

The four of us shared time and space for the days our friends had. Airplane fuel had been unavailable to the north; they had talked about stopping by San Francisquito but could not due to low fuel. I was secretly pleased as this meant more time to share. Time seems to discretely slip away even here in our tranquil paradise. There is no better place on our earth I think and visiting children or friends only improve the environment.

On the final day of their visit they gathered their gear, packed the aircraft and were prepared to depart. I was sad to see them go.

?Take care you two,? I said. I was startled to hear myself say ?I love you guys.? It?s not something most guys say to each other, but it just jumped out of my mouth. I left the words there, hanging, somewhat embarrassed but knowing I actually did. Only in this small lonely place can you feel these emotions grow like weeds. Somehow, here in the barren desert emotions can grow more rapidly than they do in more structured environments.

?Clear!? Bob hollered out the pilot?s window. The prop cranked, caught and the engine fired. Mary Ann and I backed away from the dust of the strip. Bob and Mickey taxied to the south end of the strip and worked into the weather and they waved and were gone, north toward another home.

It?s been days now since their departure. I know how silly this sounds but I?ll write it anyway. I still miss them.

True friends are few and far between.

While I don?t deserve it, I am blessed.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Humfreville

While I don?t deserve it,

Respectfully, I disagree.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 09:56 PM
Kind words

DavidT. Share your experiences with us! We aew wound in a web of appreciation and affection. Baja leads us there. Thank you.
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 10:51 PM

Use to work at Brookside resturant at the golf course in Pasadena close to JPL for about 3 years in the early 70's. Lot's of the lunch and dinner crowd came from there. Small world :)

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 05:16 PM
Bajame

We often had lunch at Brookside. Remember when the "new" bridge for the 134 fwy fell down so many years ago? I worked at the Lab for 40 years and loved every moment. So many of my friends felt the same and my heart will always be there. I betcha we met somewhere along the way. Ain't life grand?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 08:31 AM
Mike----

What's with this "I don't deserve it" stuff?? I find that impossible to believe after reading your ramblings for several years, now---------you obviously DO deserve it, and more!!

That was a very nice, sensitive story, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You know, the place within BOLA that I enjoy the most is the tranquil tiny white sand beach on the extreme SE end of the bay, just north of the small group of houses there (I think this would be just opposite [due east] where you now live)------and the sleeping circles on the small rocky bluff just north of the tiny beach. It is best reached by boat, but you can walk to it, also. Last time I was there several years ago, there was a wrecked boat on the beach. Have you seen this place??

This, of course, is none of my business, but what did you do for the JPL for "40 years"???--------that is a very long time. :yes:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
You know, the place within BOLA that I enjoy the most is the tranquil tiny white sand beach on the extreme SE end of the bay, just north of the small group of houses there (I think this would be just opposite [due east] where you now live)------and the sleeping circles on the small rocky bluff just north of the tiny beach. It is best reached by boat, but you can walk to it, also. Last time I was there several years ago, there was a wrecked boat on the beach. Have you seen this place??

That is the place known to the local gringos as "Gilligan's Island". It is indeed one of the most beautiful spots in the area, hellishly hot during the summer. There's also good halibut fishing off that beach during the spring.

Another equally beautiful spot is the extreme south end of Bahia Guadalupe, inside Isla Alcatraz. Bahia Alacran is another. All places best (or only) reached by boat.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 10:50 AM
Roberto-----

-----you are so right. I had temporarily forgotten about those other two spots. I once was snorkeling off Isla Alcatraz when a whale (humpback, I think) passed by close beside me(I was down about 10 feet)---the water was so clear I felt I could have touched him (it scared several years of life out of me) :lol:. He just kept motoring by, but I got the impression that he was looking at me as he went by. The bay nearby on the mainland was where I beached my 12 foot FURY tin boat after I broke the boats back going over a big swell in the wind making me go airborne. I had to beat the hull sorta straight by jumping up and down on the inside, and then jamming drift wood under the riveted seats to hold the bottom in place. I then motored back to La Gringa---that was the last trip for that boat. Both the island and the baylet are gorgeous!!

I also have spent many a lazy mid-day on Ensenada el Alacran waiting for the NE Oct. winds to die down so that we could get back into BOLA with our 14 foot Gregor tin boat. We also used to go up to that beach from our camps at Bahia de Las Animas. The snorkeling off little Isla el Pescador was also outstanding. In those days (late 70's, and '80's) we pretty much had it all to ourselves, and the aggressive sealions on tiny Isla el Racito just north of Punta el Soldado----they were a hoot.

BOLA and surroundings sure has much to offer.

The tiny harbor of Cala Puertecito de Enmedio just south of Punta las Animas is another beautiful spot, and refuge, if the wind is howling.

Thanks for the reminder.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 03:03 PM

Roberto and you, Barry, certainly know the area. The beach at the south end of Bahia de Los Angeles I think is called la Mona. While I do not knoe the source of that name there are several rumors which I will not repeat here.

The sandy playa at the south end of Guadalupe bay is perhaps the most desolate and beautiful beach in Baja that I know of. But this time of year you have to watch for the rays.

Enjoy and stop by for a cold one if you can. I'll try and not suck them all up!

Amigo Miguel

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.