Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great Mexican Beer ?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 09:15 AM
Great Mexican Beer ?

There was a BIG get-together on the Beach Saturday p.m. for a birthday celebration. Mixed participation, but primarily Mexicano. Something interesting I noted ayer en la manana when I drove past the celebration site before the trash had been collected was that there appeared to be a FEW HUNDRED empty BUD LIGHT aluminum cans. Go figure. Of course, I guess that Bud is Mexicano now that they bought into Modelo, right ?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 11:35 AM

That is the second reference to Bud buying Modelo that I have seen here on the forum. Where does this information come from? Cant seem to find anything about it on the net.
Do you know MrBM.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 5-1-2006 at 12:08 PM
Aha

I found this on Modelo website:

What is Grupo Modelo`s corporate profile?

Founded in 1925, Grupo Modelo? is the leader in the production, distribution, and sale of beer in Mexico - in the year ending 31 December 2002 it held a 62.70% share of the domestic and export markets.

It has seven breweries in Mexico, with an installed capacity of 51 million hectoliters of beer per year.

At present it has ten brands, among them Corona Extra?, "the best selling Mexican beer in the world?", Modelo Especial?, Victoria?, Pac?fico?, and Negra Modelo? as well as other regional brews.

It exports five brands to more than 150 countries and is the exclusive importer in Mexico of the beers produced by the US brewer Anheuser-Busch, including Budweiser and Bud Light.

This does not indicate that Bud bought anything.

[Edited on 5-1-2006 by bajajudy]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 12:13 PM

Seems Bud does won 50% of Groupo Modelo..

Here's an article I got from a quick google "budweiser owns mexican beer"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/26/business/media/26adco.html...
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 12:27 PM

Thanks, Diver. I figured it had been written somewhere but I went to Ask.com and got nothing.
Well, that sucks.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 01:11 PM

Negra Modelo?

My favorite---gees, I hope Bud doesn't mess it up!

Diane

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 04:01 PM
Mucking up Modelo

It seems that Bud is content to leave the Mexican Brews alone, but is "HELL" bent to flood the Country with Bud and Bud Light. I am amazed at how much cooler space is taken up with those in the Mexicali and San Felipe stores. Seems to be working, though.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:21 PM

More good beer for us gringos!!
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:32 PM
From my understanding

There is a 7-11 in the City of North Las Vegas. that sells more Bud Light than any place in the US. The population in that area is mostly Latino.:cool:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:57 PM

I have yet to figure it out. Part of it is undoubtedly price and the rest "marketink". It can't possibly be taste. But, the fact remains that here along the border, on both sides, Bud Light is the most popular beer among Latinos. One thing that really bugs me is that Anheuser Busch seems to be able to take control of many convenience stores to the point that NO other brands are even offered.

"Carbonated rice drek" definitely doesn't comply with the ancient German beer purity law.:barf:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 06:04 PM

Sissy beer. Bud lite.
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 06:23 PM

Most of my Mexicalli freinds simply say that you can Drink Bud Light all day and not get filled up. I drink Tecate and they will not touch my beer, and I will not drink theirs, works out well!

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by Geronimo]

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 09:33 AM

I grew up not liking Bud products (well, except Michelob) but I have to admit Bud Lite is pretty good for a light beer.

But, why anyone would drink it in Mexico is beyond me......

Hey, maybe it's the mystique of an imported beer that attracts the Mexican clientele? :light: Sorta like people buying Corona up here, even though it is swill. :lol:

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by Hook]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.