Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Border Crossing blocked today
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:23 AM

I'm for the Mexico boycott -

"Don't cross the border day" (referring to heading south into Mexico) next monday.

However, I think an entire weekend would be more effective. Spread the word.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 09:24 AM
Crackdown on the Employers

The tidbit I mentioned elsewhere that goes to the heart of the problem is that over 2500 people were found to be using one Social Security Number. We can write software programs to solve far more complex problems than this so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out how to track down these people. We know where they work, after all.

As I've already said, I welcome these protests because they have had the unintended consequence of moving the numbers in our favor. This is an election issue than can be ridden to victory in the November elections.

As far as the Republican attitude, that is changing. On Sunday, Newt Gingrich said that the answer to the problem is to crackdown on the employers hiring the aliens and the problem will be solved. Hooray for Newt.

Hooray, too, for Fox News labeling the events yesterday "illegal alien" protests, unlike the other Wimp news agencies.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 11:23 AM

im sure the goverment will come up with someting that will take care of the problem
like they did for medicare perscription drugs

no one will know how to deal with it or what to do about it

its outraguse that there are 12,000,000 illigals here now
why wasnt the law upheld??

simple build the fence, sucure the bordors, put the illegeld throu the prosess and make them legal in a limited time needing a statment of imployment by there imployers as sponsers or send them home
and never let this happen again

jerry and judi
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 11:58 AM
Jerry , the optimist

I hope what we do in the end is a calculated response. The sheer number of people destined to become part of the equation will tax heavily upon our whole social system. Not only will the agencies be buried in investigative work but the amount of man-hours involved in processing 10s of millions of immigrants will open up new job opportunities.;D

Quote:

Employers have been obligated to verify the legal status of ALL employees for years. I believe the law was passed when Reagan was president

I believe this but how in the world is one(employer) empowered to research or otherwise determine ones legal status. I never received formal training or even received instructions on verifying as much. So am I to assume
an employee is legal or non-legal upon hiring? Does everyone carry a doc stating their country of citizenship? I don't think I ever heard of such a thing. Oh yea......yes I have, it's called a Social Security card. Shall I verify that?

I would like to see the SS Administration explain how so many can hold the same number.
What if you never carried yours(I don't)? Would one assume you are an illegal?
You guys make it sound like employers have some magic way of knowing if a person is legit.:rolleyes:
I'd love to hear how to solve this confusion.

Hey, hows' bout microchip implants in everyone? That way we could monitor EVERYONE just like all the other free nations do.:lol::lol:

I concur about the fence being built. Otherwise the possibility of ever curbing the influx will fail. I would just like to see a better proposal than what's on the table now. It seems right now ALL the politicians are doing is peeing off more and more people.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I hope what we do in the end is a calculated response. The sheer number of people destined to become part of the equation will tax heavily upon our whole social system. Not only will the agencies be buried in investigative work but the amount of man-hours involved in processing 10s of millions of immigrants will open up new job opportunities.;D

Quote:

Employers have been obligated to verify the legal status of ALL employees for years. I believe the law was passed when Reagan was president

I believe this but how in the world is one(employer) empowered to research or otherwise determine ones legal status. I never received formal training or even received instructions on verifying as much. So am I to assume
an employee is legal or non-legal upon hiring? Does everyone carry a doc stating their country of citizenship? I don't think I ever heard of such a thing. Oh yea......yes I have, it's called a Social Security card. Shall I verify that?

I would like to see the SS Administration explain how so many can hold the same number.
What if you never carried yours(I don't)? Would one assume you are an illegal?
You guys make it sound like employers have some magic way of knowing if a person is legit.:rolleyes:
I'd love to hear how to solve this confusion.

Hey, hows' bout microchip implants in everyone? That way we could monitor EVERYONE just like all the other free nations do.:lol::lol:

I concur about the fence being built. Otherwise the possibility of ever curbing the influx will fail. I would just like to see a better proposal than what's on the table now. It seems right now ALL the politicians are doing is peeing off more and more people.

Sharks-in many ways I agree with you but many employers do willingly hire illegals immigrants. They use the same excuse..that they received fake documents. The SS department knows about the phony numbers but fails to enforce the the law. Why? I think the two primary reasons are pressure from big business AND that the US collects the money knowing that it will go unclaimed. That is, our government relies on the taxes that illegal pump into the Social Security system. How can one claim Social Security if they have fake documents?

Now if businesses are going to continue to say that they are not responsible for fake documents, can we hold bartenders, bank tellers, airport security or anyone else that checks identification to the same standards? Our government can verify citizenship and/or work status but chooses not look the other way.

Just my 2 cents-

Zac

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 12:47 PM
Good point Zac

Except now according to the OLCC we are supposed to be able to spot afake, phoney or doctored ID. Oh, and patrol the parking lots too! Ha ha right. I will enroll in a forgery and law enforcement class so I will be an expert. It isn't hard to spot a person using someone elses ID and have busted a few. But to expect ALL employers to scrutinize and wait for results for a dishwasher is ludicrous, no matter what their skin color is.
I wish I knew a simple solution....and yes big biz and govt count heavily on illegals. SS, FICA and state taxes will take huge, and I mean huge hits if they straighten out their act. Good luck there. Can u see the govt denying tax payments:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I believe this but how in the world is one(employer) empowered to research or otherwise determine ones legal status. I never received formal training or even received instructions on verifying as much.

It's actually not that hard - there are a set of documents (e.g. a passport) that prove eligibility to work in the U.S. A Green Card is another. It's up to prospective employees to furnish one of the above documents. This is a procedure I have had to go through for every job I have held in the U.S. since I came here after the law was passed, and I know that in my industry every employer follows the practice.

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by Roberto]
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 01:42 PM

Heck with the fence...Just build a giant WallMart the entire length of the border...the Mexicans can go in the back entrance to work and the Americans can go in the front to shop. Case settled!:spingrin:

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 02:02 PM

Some very interesting quotes from Hispanic leaders in our own country.....

HISPANIC LEADERS SPEAK OUT!

Augustin Cebada, Brown Berets; "Go back to Boston! Go back to Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You are old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you. Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die . . . Through love of having children, we are going to take over".

Richard Alatorre, Los Angeles City Council. "They're afraid we're going to take over the governmental institutions and other institutions. They're right. We will take them over . . . We are here to stay."

Excelsior, the national newspaper of Mexico, "The American Southwest seems to be slowly returning to the jurisdiction of Mexico without firing a single shot."

Professor Jose Angel Gutierrez, University of Texas; "We have an aging white America. They are not making babies. They are dying. The explosion is in our population . . I love it. They are chitting in their pants with fear I love it."

Art Torres, Chairman of the California Democratic Party, "Remember
187--proposition to deny taxpayer funds for services to non-citizens--was the last gasp of white America in California."

Gloria Molina, Los Angeles County Supervisor, "We are politicizing every single one of these new citizens that are becoming citizens of this country . . . I gotta tell you that a lot of people are saying, "I'm going to go out there and vote because I want to pay them back."

Mario Obledo, California Coalition of Hispanic Organizations and California State Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare under Governor Jerry Brown, was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Bill Clinton, "California is going to be a Hispanic state. Anyone who doesn't like it should leave."

Jose Pescador Osuna, Mexican Consul General , "We are practicing 'La Reconquista' in California."

Professor Fernando Guerra, Loyola Marymount University; "We need to avoid a white backlash by using codes understood by Latinos . . . "

Are these just the words of a few extremists? Consider that we could fill up many pages with such quotes. Also, consider that these are mainstream Mexican leaders.

THE U.S. VS MEXICO: On February 15, 1998, the U.S. and Mexican soccer teams met at the Los Angeles Coliseum. The crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Mexican even though most lived in this country. They booed during the National Anthem and U.S. flags were held upside down. As the match progressed, supporters of the U.S. team were insulted, pelted with projectiles, punched and spat upon. Beer and trash were thrown at the U.S. players before and after the match. The coach of the U.S. team, Steve Sampson said, "This was the most painful experience I have ever had in this profession."

Did you know that immigrants from Mexico and other non-European countries can come to this country and get preferences in jobs, education, and government contracts? It's called affirmative action or racial privilege. The Emperor of Japan or the President of Mexico could migrate here and immediately be eligible for special rights unavailable for Americans of European descent. Recently, a vote was taken in the U.S. Congress to end this practice. It was defeated. Every single Democratic senator except Ernest Hollings voted to maintain special privileges for Hispanic, Asian and African immigrants. They were joined by thirteen Republicans. Bill Clinton and Al Gore have repeatedly stated that they believe that massive immigration from countries like Mexico is good. They have also backed special privileges for these immigrants.

Corporate America has signed on to the idea that minorities and third world immigrants should get special, privileged status. Some examples are Exxon, Texaco, Merrill Lynch, Boeing, Paine Weber, Starbucks and many more.

DID YOU KNOW?: Did you know that Mexico regularly intercedes on the side of the defense in criminal cases involving Mexican nationals? Did you know that Mexico has NEVER extradited a Mexican national accused of murder in the U.S. in spite of agreements to do so? According to the L.A. Times, Orange County, California is home to 275 gangs with 17,000 members;
98% of which are Mexican and Asian. How's your county doing?

According to a New York Times article dated May 19, 1994, 20 years after the great influx of legal immigrants from Southeast Asia, 30% are still on welfare compared to 8% of households nationwide. A Wall Street Journal editorial dated December 5, 1994 quotes law enforcement officials as stating that Asian mobsters are the "greatest criminal challenge the country faces." Not bad for a group that is still under 5% of the population.

Is education important to you? Here are the words of a teacher who spent over 20 years in the Los Angeles School system. "Imagine teachers in classes containing 30-40 students of widely varying attention spans and motivation, many of whom aren't fluent in English. Educators seek learning materials likely to reach the majority of students and that means fewer words and math problems and more pictures and multicultural references."

WHEN I WAS YOUNG: When I was young, I remember hearing about the immigrants that came through Ellis Island. They wanted to learn English. They wanted to breathe free. They wanted to become Americans. Now, far too many immigrants come here with demands. They demand to be taught in their own language. They demand special privileges--affirmative action. They demand ethnic studies that glorify their culture.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?: Send copies of this letter to at least two other people, 100 would be even better. Help us get the word out.

California Coalition for Immigration Reform
5942 Edinger, Suite 113-117 Huntington Beach, CA 92649 Phone 714
921 7142 Date: 4/5/200

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

Quote:

I believe this but how in the world is one(employer) empowered to research or otherwise determine ones legal status. I never received formal training or even received instructions on verifying as much.

It's actually not that hard - there are a set of documents (e.g. a passport) that prove eligibility to work in the U.S. A Green Card is another. It's up to prospective employees to furnish one of the above documents. This is a procedure I have had to go through for every job I have held in the U.S. since I came here after the law was passed, and I know that in my industry every employer follows the practice.

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by Roberto]

Seems to me a double standard...... if I don't have a passport how can I expect anyone in my charge to have one. I did not need one to establish a bonafide corporation and business?

When I was employed by USC I was NEVER asked for any more than a valid drivers license. That goes the same for many other jobs I held in L.A.
Your case or job profile may require that Roberto but I've never seen that in the service and retail biz.

Unless companies are racial profiling, which is against the law, I would have to say that if the law is/was being enforced , it would be in fields Iam not familiar with.
(e.g. law enforcement, sensitive info positions etc.)

I wouldn't hand the key to a nuclear reactor to just anyone.
But I would hand you the key to the latrine.

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 03:25 PM

I've been in baja for seven years but looking back at past employment I was background checked and given pee tests as well as asked to present my social security card and drivers license to verify that I was a US citizen. This was as a chemist.

When I worked for restaruants I remember being asked to bring in my ID and social security card to photocopy and keep in my flie. This was at all chain restaurants and a few independents. But about 50% of the restaurant jobs I worked I wasn't asked for any of this, just my social security number so it would come out of my check.

As an employer in Mexico I have to present my employees names and nationalities and proof that they're on the social security system (I have all Mex. workers). Seems like Mexico actually has a handle on this and the US doesn't in comparison. But like a few posters said the powers that be want illegal immigration to stay the way it is so it just may, unless these protests become so annoying that the laws change and crackdowns do happen. From down here I don't hear much of this news but its becoming as annoying as Britney Spears already.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 04:37 PM
Start by Checking out the Following:

1. The people in yesterdays Protest wearing silk-screened T-Shirts that Read "Illegal and I don't Care" or "Illegal and PROUD of it".

2. The Employer who fired an illegal for not showing up for work AFTER he got together the SIX employees he thought (or knew) to be illegal and put them on notice that they were expected to show up. Four did, two didn't and were fired.

3. ALL of the Businesses, including Tyson, who stated that they closed for the day because such a high percentage of their employees were illegal and probably wouldn't be showing up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The scariest placards and T-shirts I saw were those that said: "We're here Today. Tomorrow We Vote !" That's exactly what we're afraid of.

IF these wonderful Immigrants are all going to the U.S. to work and support their familiies, WHY is the prison population up to twenty-five percent Illegal Aliens ? WHAT were THEY working at ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I left GTE after fifteen years and came back as a contract employee, I was required by the Contracting Company to provide Photo ID and PROOF of immigration status. It seemed pretty reasonable to me.

As noted in today's news "This whole immigration question is being made worse by the efforts of the Republicans to out-pander the Democrats". Amen.

That is, of course, when they're not trying to out-pander each other on the Oil question.

"When in Doubt, Kick em all out"
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 04:53 PM

"When in Doubt, Kick em all out" I like it!

This DOES apply to politicians too I hope!:lol:

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 06:30 PM

i think the usa need a agency to check out immagrents?? im sure theres one somewhere not doing its JOB
AN IMPLOYER SENDS TO THIS AGENCY ALL THE PERTENT INFO THAT THE AGENCE ASKES FOR on his employ
that clears him from the circle
if its laget keep him if not ship him out permanently
i reallise that it will take time to cover all bases
but building the wall is a start
regestering all illagales well buy them time untill the system works it out

jerry and judi
Arrowheadbaja
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 06:31 PM

I just want to fish!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 06:38 PM

hea arrowheadbaja im with ya
i just hope all this hopla dosent cause fallout on the gringos in mexico upheaval is like caca runs down hill

dont die wondering jerry

jerry and judi
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.