Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sirenita surfing lesson
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 09:37 AM
Sirenita surfing lesson

OK Sirenita, sounds like you're serious so let's see what we can do.

It would be better if we were out in the water together but maybe we can u2u or email back and forth and I'll see if I can help you . I'll be gone until the middle of June and will only have online access every few days, but don't get discouraged.

In the meantime, be sure to have someone else with you when you're surfing, or at least on the beach paying close attention to you for safety. Smaller waves often result in the most injuries because your board stays close to you and the wave can fling it back at you ! On bigger waves your board is often swept away from you- but then you need to be a good swimmer.

Swimming- This is the #1 requirement before you even start. If you went right now and swam out beyond where the waves were breaking, could you swim back to the beach ? You absolutely, positively need to be able to do this. A surfboard leash is not a safety line, it's only for convenience. Leashes will very often break and you'll be without your board so you must be able to swim back in.

Try to paddle your board every day- waves or not. Pick a spot like a rock or across the bay and paddle over there. You don't even need to be far off the beach if there's no waves. Paddling will build up your "paddling Muscles" and get you used to the feel of your board and it's actually fun to do.

Do any of your friends surf in B. Asunci?n ? If so, watch the waves they pick and what part of the wave they paddle in to. Even watch what they do if they "eat it" (this is a more modern term for "wiping out" so there's your first surf lingo lesson) and you'll learn what not to do !

Once you get the basics down, try to watch really good surfers, even online video clips- over and over again and that imprints the movements that you want try in your mind .

But first you have to practice, practice. Surfing is not an easy sport and it takes a very long time to get good and sometimes it's not very fun in the beginning. I don't know what your waves are like there, but if you find that standing up on your board is too hard, can you get a boogie board ?
If your waves are fast and hollow (like the picture up by my name here) then you could start by trying to catch and ride them on a boogie board which is good practice.

I started surfing when I was 13, and have never stopped- even now that I'm uh, old ! (Probably older-than-your-Mom "old", hopefully not "Abuelita-old"). Here's a picture but I'm in disguise. (grin)
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16932&pag...

Buena Suerte.
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 10:22 AM

Hi and thank you soooooo much...my friends do surf and that's who i went to the beach with yesterday..though i did not go in because there was a very big swell...and the water was freezing..haha...I watched them and all that and i'm a pretty good swimmer but I'll take you'r advice on paddeling on my board witch i do now and again but not as often as i should...see our house is right on the beach and when i say right i mean there is like...no less than 3 meters to the cliff that goes down to the beahc and there are 3 good surf beaches near by within 15 minute distances...the all have different kinds of waves.."los choros" where we went to yesterday, is the one with the biggest waves and good tubes and is recongized by all kinds of surfers from all over that discovere it as a pro spot...the other two areare called "punta loma" and "merengue" at the first the waves are big but it is a flat sandy beach and there is a point break i think it's a right break...and the wwaves are long and rolling...the other is a learning spot it has waves but since it is not very deep and close to the beach it seves for starting to stand up and get the feel of the board..and also they boogie board there...here you can boogie board on any beach...we have boards so i can boogie board although maybe not as much as i should...it is difficult for me to practice everyday because i go to school in another town "guerrero negro" and there is no beaches there...but everyweekend i come to visit my mom here at the beach house the town called bahia asuncion...and my firneds always offer tot ake me to the beach and teach me but somthing always comes up...thank you so much for taking the time for this..those tips are really good to get me started and i'll take your advice!!!! hey maybe sometime you can come down and we can surf together...************************ thank's!!!!!

[Edited on 5-7-2006 by BajaNomad]

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 10:30 AM

Great advice Oladulce!! May I recomend also to Serenita, try to stay over sand bottom for the first little bit while your learning..I know there are alot of reef breaks in your area(lucky you!) but you should wait until you have it figured out before you challenge yourself over reef/rock bottom..

Paddle paddle paddle!!

Tomas
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 11:11 AM

thank's again for the advice all you say will help me as soon as the water get's alittle warmer or i get a better wet suite!!!

Visit me at
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 11:13 AM

We'd like to visit Bahia Asunci?n someday and will try to make it on a weekend so you'll be out of school and we'll let you know we're coming so we can meet. Maybe someday you can come and visit us when we're in San Juanico.

I save a lot of my old wetsuits, so we'll see what we can do. If you're not warm when you're surfing, it's not much fun.

I said that I've never stopped surfing, but there were times that I couldn't surf as much as I'd like because I was in school, and then college for nursing school. But you know what kiddo, surfing was the reason I made it through all of the school because it's allowed me to get a good job and travel around the world so I could do more surfing!

I'm sure it's hard for you to have to go away for school, but try to keep going if you can. You can always come back to the beach.

By the way your english is very , very good. (I read on another topic that you only speak english at home with your Mom). Being able to speak Spanish and English is a very valuable skill.

It depends on your interests, but you sound like a very smart girl so I hope you can keep going with your education.

[Edited on 5-7-2006 by oladulce]
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 11:26 AM

well about the smart part...haha i'm a pretty good student and love school..i'm studying high school and when i get out i will have a technical degree in aquaculture so i can work my way through university!! witch i'm hoping to do in san diego USD...or La paz UABCS...to study marine biology!! i can't stay away from the sea!!! and i do get home everyweekend so...it's not that bad...and the visiting!! we love visitors and i bet you would love surfing here event hoguh the water is freezing..but not in september!!!! we will wait for your visit

Visit me at
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 5-8-2006 at 01:34 PM

back to school!! yuck...and 100% on my chemistry exam ha!

Visit me at

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.