BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Manta and Mobula Sighted around Mulege.
CortezExplorers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 01:47 PM
Manta and Mobula Sighted around Mulege.

Hi,

We have had the first sightings of mobula and manta for the season. Large numbers of Mobula have been sighted about 3 miles east of Santa Inez, while Manta have been seen in the mouth of Bahia Concepcion.

This leads me to this question: Where have you, or are you, seeing pelagic species? My primary interest is in the area between Bahia de Los Angeles and Loreto. This is by far the least 'commercially' explored area and I am curious as to when and where to expect to see the sharks, squid, mobula & manta.

thoughts..?

regards
Matthew

Matthew
Cortez Explorers,
Mulege, BCS, Mexico
+52 615 153 0500
http://www.cortez-explorers.com
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 02:08 PM

The last time I saw a Manta in Bahia de Los Angeles was about two years ago, south around Isla Pescador. Back in the mid 80s there used to be many in the area, I rarely see them now.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
CortezExplorers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 02:21 PM

Do you think this is from long-lining in the area? We are seeing a large increase in long-lining off of Mulege, pretty close into shore at that. Local leaders are trying to get this changed as it is affecting the local ponga catches. Most long-liners are not even from Baja, and I think most are not even from Mexico.

However this is another topic for sure!

-matthew

Matthew
Cortez Explorers,
Mulege, BCS, Mexico
+52 615 153 0500
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 02:39 PM

In the Loreto area, I recently saw a whale shark. The mobulas are common now. Dorado and marlin are well offshore (35 miles), and even wahoo. Inshore fishing is fair to good and most of the usual suspects seem to be swimming around out there. I haven' t seen a roosterfish yet but have heard reports of them at Isla Catalan. I'm still looking for jack crevalle. The ladyfish are here.
Lots of gillnets, especially in the so-called Marine Park. Saw one today while on my kayak at the small isleta nearest Ensenada Blanca.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 03:04 PM

Mobula..i used to fly one on a string when i was a kid:lol:

[Edited on 5-11-2006 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 05:51 PM

hey Matthew, love the new sign, it says it all re: "new attitude"
'bout time...........the Andy show was a real drag.............

looking forward to meeting you soon, i'll have divers on a few trips this summer.:coolup:

Palapa 4 at Serenidad.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 08:13 PM

Last March there were hundreds of mobulus (mobulae?) in the shallow waters above the sandy surface on the south side of Coronado Island. We cruised over them and they popped up like popcorn out of a popper. It was awesome. Just a few months ago I saw lots of carcasses of mobulae on the northwest edge of the Coronado Island Cove. Sad. A few weeks ago we saw half a dozen manta rays circling in the water south of Punta Baja off of Carmen Island. More recently we saw the same manta ray dance between Perico and Punta Lobos on the east side of Carmen Island. Lastly, just a week ago, Bob caught a large manta ray on live mackeral about 35 miles out from Loreto. Of course, as soon as the manta surfaced and we realized what we had caught, we got him as close as we could and cut the line. Dolphins, whales and rays---the sea is a wonderful place!
ps. My main identifying characteristic between mantas and mobulae is size. Are there other, more reliable, differences?
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and jane
Last March there were hundreds of mobulus (mobulae?) in the shallow waters above the sandy surface on the south side of Coronado Island. We cruised over them and they popped up like popcorn out of a popper. It was awesome. Just a few months ago I saw lots of carcasses of mobulae on the northwest edge of the Coronado Island Cove. Sad. A few weeks ago we saw half a dozen manta rays circling in the water south of Punta Baja off of Carmen Island. More recently we saw the same manta ray dance between Perico and Punta Lobos on the east side of Carmen Island. Lastly, just a week ago, Bob caught a large manta ray on live mackeral about 35 miles out from Loreto. Of course, as soon as the manta surfaced and we realized what we had caught, we got him as close as we could and cut the line. Dolphins, whales and rays---the sea is a wonderful place!
ps. My main identifying characteristic between mantas and mobulae is size. Are there other, more reliable, differences?

Interesting article:
http://www.malbertphoto.com/mobulas1.html
CortezExplorers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
hey Matthew, love the new sign, it says it all re: "new attitude"
'bout time...........the Andy show was a real drag.............

looking forward to meeting you soon, i'll have divers on a few trips this summer.:coolup:

Palapa 4 at Serenidad.

Thanks ;-) We look forward to seeing you.

Matthew
Cortez Explorers,
Mulege, BCS, Mexico
+52 615 153 0500
CortezExplorers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and jane

Interesting article:
http://www.malbertphoto.com/mobulas1.html

Great link! Thanks for the info. I think I will link this from our site. Are they not just amazing to see leaping in the air like that!

Matthew
Cortez Explorers,
Mulege, BCS, Mexico
+52 615 153 0500

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.