BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: U.S. troops on the border....
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2006 at 11:44 AM

" It's not the ag jobs people are talking about that Americans will do but the construction jobs. Also meat packing and manufacturing jobs."

Many people will go to amazing lengths to make sure that that fact does not enter the debate. Myself, I've been sqeezed out of the construction industry.

The only scenario that I can think of which the Mexicans will understand how we feel is if 20 million or so illegal immigrants from India entered Mexico in order to secure job opportunities they cannot get in India. Mexico is a rich country in the eyes of many Indians (from India - not American Indians). The Indians might say, "Why do the Mexicans have to be so mean? What they are doing make me so mad. All we want to do is work hard for wages the Mexicans do not want to work for."
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 5-14-2006 at 12:30 PM

Quote:

ok....when did the USA decide to put in the interstate high way system? and how long did it take to be substantially complete and useable, for the most part? And it's a given that it was expensive, so what?

The highway system was part of the make work projects. How ironic that if we decide to build a wall today, the American contractors who build it will use illegals to build it, and with that much construction going on, will invite more persons to risk border crossings in order to appease your fear of a changing culture

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-14-2006 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by villadelfin
Quote:

ok....when did the USA decide to put in the interstate high way system? and how long did it take to be substantially complete and useable, for the most part? And it's a given that it was expensive, so what?

The highway system was part of the make work projects. How ironic that if we decide to build a wall today, the American contractors who build it will use illegals to build it, and with that much construction going on, will invite more persons to risk border crossings in order to appease your fear of a changing culture
Are you one of the Mexican take back there land advocate?:no::no::no::moon::P
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2006 at 12:42 PM

I used to live in the land of quality custom homes.
These days if you don't use a mexican crew for sheetrock, stonework or painting, you can't compete with all the "new" builders who are out for the buck. These guys definitely take many good jobs from legal americans who need them. Many use fake social security cards and pay taxes but often support 20+ relatives and their kids who do use our school and health services.
Any idea how many are getting illegal welfare with fake social security cards ? You'd be amazed !!
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 5-14-2006 at 09:01 PM
I'll say it again

Quote:

Bancoduo, what does what I said characterize me as an advocate of Mexicans taking back 'their' land?

IMO a wall will just give money to the Haliburtons of the world and will not contribute to the economy. The act of building the wall will increase illegal immigration as people flock to the construction sites to get the work.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-14-2006 at 09:37 PM
Geronimo

thank you for your perspective.

It goes into the grist mill of the immigration issue, which is not to say that it is abandoned. It is very much appreciated.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 01:17 PM

in metro PHX the following tract sub trades use ALL hispanic workers who for the most part do a great job, some legal some not but with maybe fake cards: drywall, stucco, framers, roofers, concrete finish, tilers, painters, insulators, landscapers et al.............

the reputable skilled trade companies put their imported workers thru an immigration program, i mean electricians, HVAC and plumbers and carpenters, that's the only way they can get enough workers to support this boom. the young Americans getting out of high school today do not want to get into the trades, they want higher pay and college/tech schools - airconditioned environments.

without the hispanic workers construction would die here. i am all for bringing them in and doing it thru a process. it can be done, i know too many subs who are doing it via extensive investment in programs they run, including english classes. these guys shortly make what their American counterparts used to get. and they do good clean work.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
in metro PHX the following tract sub trades use ALL hispanic workers who for the most part do a great job, some legal some not but with maybe fake cards: drywall, stucco, framers, roofers, concrete finish, tilers, painters, insulators, landscapers et al.............

the reputable skilled trade companies put their imported workers thru an immigration program, i mean electricians, HVAC and plumbers and carpenters, that's the only way they can get enough workers to support this boom. the young Americans getting out of high school today do not want to get into the trades, they want higher pay and college/tech schools - airconditioned environments.

without the hispanic workers construction would die here. i am all for bringing them in and doing it thru a process. it can be done, i know too many subs who are doing it via extensive investment in programs they run, including english classes. these guys shortly make what their American counterparts used to get. and they do good clean work.
If they were paid union wages americans would be standing in lines to get these jobs. Its all about CHEAP labor. We also have to free up young Americans to fight our wars.:no::no::no::no::no::no:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 04:30 PM

Fellow Nomads,
The above postings seems to me the most thoughtful and insightful (except for Bancoduos "young Americans to fight our wars") I have read on this board. I find it difficult to disagree pro or con. At least we all agree something must be done, just what is still a question mark. I think a poll of solutions should be done.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Fellow Nomads,
The above postings seems to me the most thoughtful and insightful (except for Bancoduos "young Americans to fight our wars") I have read on this board. I find it difficult to disagree pro or con. At least we all agree something must be done, just what is still a question mark. I think a poll of solutions should be done.
Iwas being sarcastic:no::no::no:I think you took it the wrong way.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 05:18 PM

Bush on TV now......

Reform....
secure border.... add 6000 new border patrol officers...fences, technology to be used...6000 national guard to be used for one year...fed funds for states....no catch and release.....

temp worker program to be added....tamper proof ID card....

oppose ammensty.....no round up of illegals....process to legalize....

melting pot....reform bill needed....immigrants welcomed...

What do you think?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 05:30 PM

sounds OK to me

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 06:00 PM

On a local radio talk show the other day a guy called in and said he worked the oil fields. He said the Americans would pass a drug test and get a job working the fields but would later fail a test and get fired. The Mexicans would pass the test again and again and again. They wanted the job more than pot.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 03:41 AM

TW; Well stated!
Can you imagine the Price of Milk, Vegetables, Fruit, Wine, etc. if there were no one to work the Fields?
What would happen to all the Small Businesses, who produce the Wealth which in turn produces the Taxes, which produces families?
Seems as if we would have a "Depression" much larger than the "Great Depression of the 30's.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 07:43 AM

A friend has a welding shop in the San Jose CA area and gave up hiring Gringo welders because of poor attendance, long breaks. Only hired Mexican (legal or other, I don't know) Paid them all the same but got the work done with the Mexicans.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.