Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Border is closed!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 06:44 AM

Thanks, Wayne, guess that kind of tells the real story.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 06:51 AM
I can guarantee you-------

-----that there is more to this story than the "media" know, or are reporting------because THERE ALWAYS IS!!!! In that respect, Skeeter is right on.

It SOUNDS to me like a justified "shooting", but only time and the investigation will tell.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 11:09 AM

Somebody is going to get there black SUV back bullet holes and all.:no::no::no:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 04:43 PM
A few more details...no guns in the car

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The Mexican government called for an investigation Friday into a shooting by two federal agents that left one person dead at the world's busiest border crossing. A union representing the Border Patrol agent involved in the shooting defended the officer's conduct.

The shooting took place Thursday afternoon after U.S. agents surrounded a sport utility vehicle that was under surveillance on suspicion of immigrant smuggling, police said.

The driver refused to get out, and when agents smashed the vehicle's window with a baton, he accelerated in the direction of five U.S. agents blocking his path and "nearly pinned an agent standing next to the vehicle," said San Diego police Lt. Jeff Sferra.

A Border Patrol agent and a U.S. customs agent opened fire. The Border Patrol agent's shots proved fatal, police said. The driver, identified by the Mexican Consulate as Oscar Abraham Garcia, 22, of Tijuana, Mexico, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Five male passengers, all illegal Mexican immigrants, were taken into custody. Some of the passengers told investigators that Garcia and a 17-year-old boy in the vehicle were both immigrant smugglers, said Alberto Lozano, spokesman for the Mexican Consulate in San Diego. Police said one person had been arrested on immigrant-smuggling charges.

No weapons were found in the vehicle, San Diego police Lt. Kevin Rooney said. Investigators have not said whether the driver had a criminal record.

Rooney said the agents who fired have been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Mexican investigators were reviewing footage from security cameras at the border.

"It's worrying that someone was shot," said Luis Cabrera, the Mexican consul in San Diego. "Let's see what were the circumstances and determine if there was or was not excessive use of force."

The shooting took place on Interstate 5, about 75 feet north of the Mexican border, at the crossing that links San Diego with Tijuana. The crossing was shut down for nine hours while the shooting was investigated.

At the time, the vehicle was going toward the Mexico border, not away from it, police said.

Chris Bauder, president of National Border Patrol Council Local 1613, which represents Border Patrol agents in San Diego, including the one involved in shooting, said the agent followed his training.

"Based on what I've heard, it sounds like they acted properly and did what they do were trained to do. The suspect drove right at the inspector and posed a direct threat. His life was in danger," Bauder said.

The American Federation of Government Employees used the shooting to call for improved benefits for U.S. customs agents.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents began following the SUV after somebody reported seeing it pick up suspected illegal immigrants on the U.S. side of another border crossing nearby, Rooney said.

[Edited on 5-19-2006 by bajajudy]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 04:48 PM
In this case--------

-------------the "deadly weapon" was the SUV itself, apparently, and it is just as deadly as a "gun"----argueably more so.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 06:00 PM

And I thought they wanted the illegals to return to Mexico.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 07:48 PM
I do not want to trivialize the horrible event

but, I do have to share a personal, "but for the Grace of God, go I" (After all, "God" is "dog" spelled backward).

I was in San Diego yesterday and had many things to do.

But, because one of our dogs was at the vet in Rosarito and I did not want to leave him overnight and because the vet closed in the early afternoon, I abandoned half of my "to-do list" and crossed the border south just before the incident.

Make of it what you will, but I think I had a dog angel whispering in my ear.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 09:47 PM

Yes Jan, I am very sure you did! Can you imagine sitting in the southbound with dogs, babies,health issues, etc for that many hours??? Yep, you got a doggie angel, for sure !!!:bounce:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 06:39 AM
Another article on the incident

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

May 20, 2006

Federal authorities said yesterday they plan to file charges against two people arrested Thursday following the shooting death of a suspected immigrant smuggler near the San Ysidro border crossing.

The country's busiest land border crossing was closed for nearly nine hours, stranding motorists in miles of gridlock, while authorities investigated the shooting.

The two who have been arrested were passengers in a black Dodge Durango that authorities tried to stop on Interstate 5 just north of the border. Officials said the SUV accelerated toward officers, who opened fire and killed the driver.

One of the people arrested, Jose Adolfo Gonzalez Fabian, 26, a Mexican citizen, is expected to appear in court Monday on immigrant smuggling charges, authorities said.

Gonzalez has no criminal convictions in the United States, said U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Lauren Mack.

?He was arrested several times as a suspected human smuggler,? she said. But each time, authorities elected to deport him rather than to prosecute him, she said.

A 17-year-old boy also is charged in the case. Because federal juvenile proceedings are sealed, she said she couldn't give other details about him.

The man who was shot to death was a 22-year-old Tijuana resident with a border-crossing visa, according to the Mexican Consulate.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office identified the man as Oscar Abraham Garcia Barrios. Officials at the Mexican Consulate said they were told Garcia was shot in the head, but U.S. authorities wouldn't confirm that yesterday.

Garcia was in the car with five undocumented people, ranging in age from the 17-year-old to a 35-year-old man, according to the Mexican Consulate.

The San Diego Police Department, which is handling the case, would not release identities of any of the men.

Lt. Kevin Rooney said authorities suspect Garcia was working with Gonzalez.

The other men were expected to be held by U.S. federal authorities as material witnesses, Rooney said.

Mexican Consul General Luis Cabrera Cuaron said the Mexican government will formally ask the U.S. government for an internal investigation.

The driver and three passengers were from Baja California, and the two others were from the state of Jalisco, Cabrera said.

Rooney said he didn't know how the suspected undocumented immigrants crossed the border. But the men got into the Durango on the U.S. side of the Otay Mesa crossing.

Someone tipped off U.S. law enforcement officials, who started following the car. When Garcia apparently realized that, he attempted to return to Mexico through the region's other border crossing at San Ysidro. U.S. authorities ? including Customs and Border Protection and the Border Patrol ? attempted to intercept the car by stopping traffic just north of the Mexican port of entry in San Ysidro.

When the Durango got stuck in the traffic, the driver maneuvered to the far right of the freeway. A U.S. law enforcement official tried to stop the car, Rooney said, and used a baton to break the car's window when the driver didn't obey. Afterward, he said, the car ?accelerated quickly.?

Initial reports indicated the shooting happened after the SUV pressed a Border Patrol agent against a vehicle.

Rooney said yesterday that the Durango had actually forced the agent to retreat into the slow-moving traffic lanes, which was dangerous, but he wasn't squeezed between cars.

The agent and a Customs and Border Protection officer both fired at the car, Rooney said.

San Diego Police and the Medical Examiner's Office wouldn't say where the man was shot.

Cabrera with the Mexican Consulate, however, said he was informed that three shots were fired. Garcia apparently was shot in the head, neck and possibly the chest, Cabrera said.

Rooney said they found no firearms or drugs during an initial search of the vehicle.

Representatives of federal agencies declined to provide further information on the incident or provide the names of the two men who fired the shots, referring all questions to the San Diego Police Department.

Wendi Lee, a Border Patrol spokeswoman, said agents may use force if there's a possibility they may face great bodily harm. Agents use this criteria to protect themselves and others, she said.

Rooney said his agency expects to complete their investigation and report within a month.

The SUV was registered to a person in Northern California, and police will attempt to find what relationship the person had to the driver, Rooney said.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.