Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PuerteSitos ?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 09:52 AM
PuerteSitos ?

Awhile back, there were some exchanges regarding the spelling for Puertecitos.

Ayer, I drove down to El Vergel to pick up some abarrotes. Just before you pull into town (heading South), there is a highway sign that says "Delagacion de Puertesitos". I guess even the Mexicans can't get it straight. The next sign say "Puertecitos".

The interesting thing is that it looks like the sign has been there for quite awhile. First time I've noticed it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 10:01 AM

happens everywhere...:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 10:04 AM

It's not uncommon to see these kind of mistakes (even by native speakers). Phonetically the two spellings sound identical. Another would be "b" and "v".
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 10:09 AM

At Las Palmitas is a hand painted sign: Las Palmytas....:yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

David, this has got to drive YOU nuts! NO?
Bob H
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 10:14 AM
Everywhere

I didn't mean to indicate otherwise. I run into it everyday in El Norte.

Last month I went over to Joshua Tree to pay a traffic ticket at the Courthouse. In the parking lot adjacent to the building curb, there is a reserved space for "Maintainence". There were two deputies standing outside smoking and I mentioned that there obviously wasn't a literacy test for County workers. The reply was that they had a hard time arresting literate people. To which I replied, "You're letting the inmates make the decisions" ? No reply.

At Walmart, Yucca Valley, they have a bunch of Rubbermaid containers on a wall at the return desk, one of which was marked "Stationary". I asked if that was the only one which remained in the same place when they moved the others around. After a blank stare, one clerk said "that's for office supplies like notebooks". When I said "that would be spelled "ery", she gave me another blank look, looked at the bin and said "oh". That was months ago. It hasn't changed.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 10:23 AM
Spelling errors--------

---------which brings up the question: is there a way to do "spelling check" on the posts we leave on the NOMADS board???? I could sure use it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

David, this has got to drive YOU nuts! NO?
Bob H

Ha ha Bob... it is fun for me to help fellow gringos spell BAJA PLACE NAMES correctly... Only an educational service for us Baja travelers!

Leading the list: Guerrero Negro, Alfonsina's, Puertecitos, Santo Tomas, San Quintin, Los Barriles... The list goes on and on! :lol::rolleyes::saint:

Bob... How about lunch today at Mariscos Ensenada in Oceanside?

[Edited on 5-21-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2006 at 01:13 PM

BA
You can also type it in Word first, do spell check, then cut and paste into your post.

I do that sometimes in Yahoo too. Type it into an email, do a spell check and you are good to go.

HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2006 at 07:37 AM

Right next to a large bumper sized dent in an ironwood tree there is a sign that says "CURBA PELIGROSA" going into Guadalupe Canyon.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 5-22-2006 at 07:51 AM

Approaching Sonoyta from the east on Mex 2 (in Quitovac, if memory serves), there is an overhead sign for "Sonoita". The next overhead sign says "Sonoyta".

Either way, I still have a problem remembering how to pronounce it.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2006 at 11:20 PM
spell checker?

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
---------which brings up the question: is there a way to do "spelling check" on the posts we leave on the NOMADS board???? I could sure use it.

If you install the Google Tool Bar on your home page it has a spell checker 'ABC Check' that checks any form that you are typing if you click it. It also has an easy to use or not use 'pop up' blocker.

Stick
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 07:35 AM
Thanks, Stick-------I will try that.

Also, thanks to the rest of the folks that tried to help me-----I will explore all my options.

barry
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 08:42 AM

Spell check is a lazy persons way out. Nothing burns me more than the WRONG word spelled correctly. What.....people don't proofread anymore!?!?!
You see this in business correspondence, menus, ads, you name it!

Complain, complain, complain....jeeeeez....
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 10:06 AM
Sculpin---

My problem is that I have been mis-spelling certain words all my life, and it is ingrained. Spell check is a must for me, even tho it is somewhat of a "lazy" remedy.

But yes, proof reading does take care of most errors, and like you, I don't think folks do that much any more. Big mistake.

Barry
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 10:20 PM

MrBM, you are one elitist Repugnantan snob. Making fun of minimum-wage sales people who are unaware of the distinction between stationary and stationery. Putting your superior erudition on public display.

I had somehow assumed you had more class than that.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 08:52 AM
Way to Go, Sarge !

Repugnantan. I like that. I'm glad to see that you've gotten into the spirit of adversarial debate.

I can't say for sure, of course, but it seems like the words "Stationary, Stationery" were encountered at an elementary school level. You are absolutely right if you think that I lack respect for people who don't meet a minimal level of education. It gets worse. Often, when I encounter a particular example of witless clerk, I refer to them as "minimum wage marooons". Not too long ago, I addressed a 7/11 clerk that way when she asked to see my ID to purchase a six-pack because the rules said to check ALL ID. That was an especially egregious example, but like events in the thousands have occurred over the years.

I know it is contrary to the Liberal Bible to criticize low-wage ignorant people. I can understand that since your political party's success is dependent on ignorant people, but it is hard to respect adults (other than students, etc) who are still working at minimum wage level jobs. That's Dumb.

I am not lacking in class. I simply exist in a class all my own.
baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 5-25-2006 at 12:04 PM

It's been there for about 8 months and always generates a smile or two.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-25-2006 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
[

I am not lacking in class. I simply exist in a class all my own.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.