BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: business boating
DTB

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 08:00 PM
business boating

ALOHA,,, Does anybody know if you need a CAPTAINS LICENCE to operate a small fishingdive buisseniss in baja sur.?
What does it take for a gringo to open a business in baja sur.
DTB kona
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 08:17 PM

wow the questions you ask. the answers could fill volumes. first do a search on doing business in Mexico . it takes a lot of things but it is doable and not that difficult.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DTB
ALOHA,,, Does anybody know if you need a CAPTAINS LICENCE to operate a small fishingdive buisseniss in baja sur.?

What Captain's license? :lol:

As far as I know, Mexico only licenses its Navy and Merchant Marine captains and if you're a gringo you couldn't qualify for either.

Mexico may require a CG ticket for a gringo to obtain a charter license, but I doubt it. FF Pam would probably have that info...Pam?

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 10:15 PM

I so disagree with Bruce! I tis not so easy, many factors are invloved.However take his advice ,then do a whole lot more research.I have family in Baja, Mexican by birth, and it is NOT an easy thing to do even then,they have a diving biz, used to have a charter fishig biz, A whole heck a lot of already tried and true have estabishished biz in the region. Iwould do your home work, go to the past on this board and you could learn a lot!You may want to try Cabodivecompany.com

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-2-2006 at 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
I so disagree with Bruce! I tis not so easy, many factors are invloved.However take his advice ,then do a whole lot more research.I have family in Baja, Mexican by birth, and it is NOT an easy thing to do even then,they have a diving biz, used to have a charter fishig biz, A whole heck a lot of already tried and true have estabishished biz in the region. Iwould do your home work, go to the past on this board and you could learn a lot!You may want to try Cabodivecompany.com

first you say, I so disagree with Bruce, then you go on to ageree with every thing I said. :lol:What is with that Sally??:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-2-2006 at 05:58 AM

check with Dale Peterson, www.gonetobaja.com
he is a licensed dive guide and does comm'l charters in baja.
he knows his stuff and has all the legalities covered to do boat biz in baja.

frankly i doubt its that hard, USA biz is fraught with red tape too.
pay some fees, do some paperwork..........what the heck, it's what makes the world go. Some people just do better with stuffy protocol and bureaucracy than others.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 6-2-2006 at 08:14 AM
Dale had to associate with a Mexican---

to make it really work !!

Just talked to him an hour ago .He's in Baja for 3-4 days .

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-2-2006 at 12:46 PM

Hey Bob! wish i was there hanging with him now, but it's getting hot for no AC at night!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 07:35 PM

Hi there,

The port captain of Loreto will only allow a Mexican born national to obtain a captains license (called libreta del mar) and run a boat for charter in tourism or commercial fishing/diving. Technically according to Mexican law only a Mexican born national can even be a crew on a boat! Also will depend on where you operate and who the person is who will be enforcing that law. Good luck!

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 07:40 PM

Oops I reread your post and you ask if you need a captains license to operate a dive boat business! Answer is NO you don't. I operate a fishing fleet and am an American (becoming a naturalized Mexican), but have been doing so for almost ten years. And I dont' have a captains license and barely know how to drive a boat either! I tried but its too hard to cast a fly and maneuver around the rocky inshore areas I like to fish, so I have my own private captain-husband instead :lol:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 08:33 PM

Pam
Am I correct in what I believe you're telling us - No license to operate the business but must have one to operate the boat?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 03:55 AM

FUGGED-ABOUD-IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do it in the states..and yes here you ned a ticket...not real hard to get these days...the outfit that prepares you gives you the test?

talk about duh! The U.S.C.G. used to handle all testing, I guess today, it's simply all about money.........

Capt G 100 Ton Masters (25 years)

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 04:31 AM

1983 25 GT Master here. Used to be a pain gathering references and verifying past experience just to get registered for the CG test !

It was worth having in south FLA, lot's of charter and delivery business.
I ran a dive boat part-time for three years. When the Triton sank to the gunnels with 16 divers down, the paperwork almost killed me and I wasn't even running the boat that day !

All of my divers were fine but it was quite a site when we surfaced to see Captain Paulo sitting on top of the cabin with most of the boat underwater and our gear floating all over the place ! The boat sinking party afterwards was a blast ! (Courtesy of the boat owner) He even had "We Sank the Triton" T-shirts made for everyone.

On a more serious note, whenever you travel offshore make certain to take some personal precautions. You never know what can happen and who exactly is running the boat.
I try to always carry my life preserver, bottled water, sunscreen, snack bars, a small mirror, signal horn, pop flares, waterproof marine radio, dive mask and signal light in my personal bag among other things.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Pam
Am I correct in what I believe you're telling us - No license to operate the business but must have one to operate the boat?

Well you need a BUSINESS LICENSE to operate a business here but not necessarily a captains license. Two different things.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 02:36 PM

Just my 2cents, you want to come to Baja and compete with Panguero's who have been fishing the area all their lives, and you want to do business in that area with that competition?

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.