BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Deja Vu, Pericu (Part 2)
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 05:34 PM
Deja Vu, Pericu (Part 2)

Rivet Has His Say

After 25-year old Paul Rivet graduated from medical school in France in 1901, he joined a scientific expedition to Ecuador, remained in South America on his own for 6 more years to study native groups, and spent the rest of his life alternating between working at the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle in Paris and doing field research in South America. He had become an anthropologist.

In 1909 a French journal published Dr. Rivet's detailed report on the peninsula, in which he compared the Baja skeletal remains (18 skulls, 188 longbones of adults and 52 of children) with similar material from other parts of the world. This was a study in physical anthropology, in which the evidence of the bones was presented in an impressive series of tables, graphs, drawings and photos.

Rivet's major work--a book on the peopling of the Americas published in French in 1943--summarized theories that had been proposed by various heavy thinkers dating back to 1571. The possible colonizers added up to quite a motley crew: Leif, son of Erid the Red, of course--but also Egyptians, Japanese, refugees from Atlantis, Phoenicians, the hordes of Kublai Khan, and the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel. Rivet's previously published regional papers were incorporated into separate chapters. In Chapter IV, "Melanesicos en America," a condensed version of his study of the physical anthropology was supplemented with similarities he perceived in material culture. A Spanish translation was published in 1947.

Rivet's theory of Melanesian migration became popular in Baja California Sur after the publication of writer Pablo L. Martinez's history of the peninsula. This book has few reference citations, no bibliography, and in his Introduction Martinez reveals that during more thatn 20 years of investigation he "found hundreds of sources relating to the history of Lower California. All of these were either brief, confused or erroneous. . . . From this point it was necessary to revise all, or the greater part, of the writings published up to that time, and carry out a minute revision of the archives in order to be able to verify, enlarge or discard the data conta ined in them." Nevertheless, Martinez's book (translated into English as A History of Lower California: The Only Complete and Reliable One) is often cited as if it were a primary source. The Rivet theory has been repeated by other writers, and has gradually achieved the status of "conventional wisdom." It has been treated as historical fact in school textbooks used in Baja California Sur.

The exotic side of this tale of the South Pacific has been taken up enthusiastically by folklorico dance groups, which in Mexico traditionally try to incoorporate aspects of "native" dress into their costumes. (With the Pericu? No way. Although the women wore almost enough, the men wore nothing at all.) In La Paz there are now troups that present dances with a South-Sea-island theme. Preshistoric Melanesians were nappy-haired people classified as Negroid, rather than hula-skirted Polynesians (who didn't have long heads)--but never mind that. Both groups traversed the Pacific.

Rivet Revisited
Dr. Rivet based his theory on five elements he perceived to be common to both Melanesians and Peridu: cranial structure, blood type, material culture, language, and maritime technology.

Cranial structure
Skeletal remains from the Cape Region that were analyzed by Rivet, as well as material from later excavations, have been re-studied by Rose Tyson, curator of physical anthropology at the Museum of Man in San Diego, who has devoted her career to the study of Baja California. (I haven't yet read her reports.) Earlier studies indicate that crania from the Cape Region, Melanesia, Brazil, Texas, and several other places are indeed similar, and may represent extremely ancient populations.

Blood type
Rivet assumed the Pericu had Type O blood, but had no evidence for this. The ABO components of human blood weren't identified until 1900--long after the last of the Pericu had departed for The Happy Hunting Ground in the Sky. DNA testing should be able to establish a relationship--or lack of one. Jimmy Smith has mentioned discussing DNA with archaeologist Harumi Fujita, and may know what's going on in this direction.

Material culture
Here's where the bruwn stuff really begins to clog up the fans. Rivet's list of 50-some elements common to both Melanesians and the "Indians of America," includes things the Pericu never dreamed of--irrigated agricultural terraces, Potlatch ceremonies, alcoholic drinks, pottery, penis sheaths, substantial houses, and trepanation (skull surgery). In fact, less than a dozen of the listed traits were known to them.

One item common to both Melanesians and Pericu--the dart- or spear-thrower (atlatl)--has been cited as proof of South Pacific influence. but only by people who don't pay attention to details.

There are only two kinds of atlatls, and they're distinctly different in structure. All the Melanesian throwers are "female." This type has a deep groove down its length to accommodate the dart or spear, and is blocked at one end to hold this missile in place.

The "male" thrower of the Pericu lacks a channel, and the missile is held in place by a projecting hook carved from the same length of wood as the shaft.

Groups who used this weapon had either one or the other, but never both. So the atlatls of Melanesia and Baja California didn't share a common ancestry, and don't constitute evidence of prehistoric contact.

Language
During Pedro Porter y Casanate's explorations of the west coast of New Spain between 1638 and 1649, he compiled a Pericu vocabulary that could be useful in establishing a link with other languages--except that "it is no longer extant (translation: it has gone missing).
There's always hope, of course, that it will eventually be found.

Meanwhile, the known vocabulary of the Pericu adds up to 3 verbs, 7 common nouns, and 19 place names. Anthropologists who specialize in the study of language refuse to attempt any kind of comparison with a sample this small (although a few wanna-bes have given it a shot).

Mexican linguist Mauricio Swadish has described Rivet's methodology as "faulty," but concluded that even though his theory "is undoubtedly erroneous, it has had the merit of presenting an investigation of similarities among languages that are widely separated in the world." Not exactly a rave review.

Maritime technology
"Contrary to popular opinion," Rivet wrote, "the coastal people of the American Pacific were skilled and daring navigators, whose balsas navigated the total length of the littoral and even ventured out on the high seas . . ."

In 1792 Jose Longinez Martinez observed Pericu fishermen who "got around in a sort of raft in the shape of a small boat, made of cane or rushes. With this rudimentary craft they will put out to sea until they are lost to sight for many hours, one man in each with a double paddle, which they manipulate on both side, half-kneeling or squatting."

On the far side of the Pacific, meanwhile, the people who have been called
"Argonauts of the Pacific" were building sturdy, intricately decorated boats made of planks, equipped with sails, outriggers, and platforms spacious enough for a substantial number of passengers, plus provisions for long voyages. These superb seafarers developed the navigational skills needed for crossing enormous expanses of open sea. (Some of the complex instruments they devised for recording their knowledge of Pacific winds and currents--which look like random frameworks of sticks--are displayed at the Bishop Museum in Honolulu.)

Next: Part 3: Updating the Anthropology

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 06:38 PM

a fascinating mystery. enjoy the posts. keep 'em coming.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2003 at 03:40 PM
Maritime Technology

Native peoples in northern Baja California are described by Sales as having reed boats that they used for fishing and hunting sea otters. Native peoples in coastal California, particularly the Chumash, also used small boats of reeds or wood.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2003 at 06:01 PM
Material Culture

If my previous post is not clear enough, the argument about material culture, and specifically as it relates to maritime technology, does not hold water.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2003 at 10:14 PM

And your point, Robert, is . . . . ?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2003 at 09:02 AM
The Point

The point is that while it is an interesting story, supporting the theory of polynesian colonization of the Baja Cape region on the basis of material culture does not work.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2003 at 11:06 AM

Nochit, Sherlock!

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2003 at 07:05 AM
Rudeness

Bajalera. There is no reason to be rude.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2003 at 09:36 AM

I wasn't aware that condescension--the ultimate intellectual rudesness--merited a polite response.

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2003 at 10:21 AM
Response

Bajalera. You are off base with your comments. An example of intellectually condescending behavior would be to say something like a person being stupid, a marooon, etc. I don't recall saying anything like that to you. As I stated in a previous post, I express my opinions. If you don't like my opinions, you can rebut them with facts. There are many disagreements and differences in opinion on this forum, and most people can express their opinions without having to use insults.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2003 at 03:35 PM

Robert: Calling somone stupid or marooonic is certainly not my idea of intellectual condescension. To me, that's simply low-brow dissing, with no intellectial pretentions whatsover.

Your reply to Deja Vu 2 concerned the maritime achievements of the Chumash, and was so irrelevant to the Pericu that it puzzled me.

Your response, instead of an explanation, presented material that one could assume I would already know (which is also what your reply to DJ 1 did).

Your reply posts seem to have a standard pattern, and seldom involve what I would call an opinion. Rather, they establish how much you know about whatever subject is being discussed. Someone occasionally fires back--like the guy who saw your resume and asked if you were looking for a job. Whenever this happens. David K., bless his little heart, rushes in to reveal what an important person you are. (As if those 19.2 miles of posted publications aren't adequate proof of this.)

Perhaps you feel that monitoring the History section obligates you to provide a comment on the posts (and for all I know, maybe it does).

But those erudite comments you view as
"opinions" can also be construed as subtle games of "Can-You-Top-This," which in the academic world is commonly viewed as intellectual condescension.

Yes, nomads who post in this section are hardly ever rude. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem to get read as often as most of the others.

bajalera

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2003 at 03:47 PM
Response

You can view my responses as you choose to do so. My point about the Chumash and other native groups in Baja California is very simple. And this is an opinion based on fact. There is a common pattern of adaptations by native peoples living on the Pacific Coast, namely the development of maritime technology that enabled them to venture out onto the ocean. There was no need for people to arrive from Polynesia to teach them how to build reed or wood boats for the ocean. It is directly relevant to the point being discussed.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2003 at 04:36 PM
Mike Humfreville

Perhaps the most significant improvements in this board since I've been visiting here is the historic information provided in this forum. I have learned a great deal and added fuel to some intelectual fires that have been burning in my head (ouch!) for years.

I particularly enjoy the style Bajalera uses as it is not only informative but is easy reading. AA is as thorough as a person can get. His bibleography alone provides years worth of reading.

My interpretation of what Bajalera was saying in "Rivet has his Say" is exactly what AA echoed back in response. That was slightly confusing (but certainly no biggie).

Thanks guys for all the late-night reading you've been providing. So where's the 3rd installment?

[Edited on 11-23-2003 by Mike Humfreville]
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 06:29 AM
Issues

Mike. Thanks for your comments. One of the fundamental points I made earlier was that the theory of Polynesian origins for the Pericu was part of a pseudo-scientific racist assumption that the native peoples of the Americas could not possibly have had advanced cultures. Europeans and later Norte Americanos viewed Native Americans as inferior savages, and then at the end of the Victorian period when native groups in the American west no longer resisted, viewed the Plains tribes as Noble Savages because of their heroic but ill fated resistance. Europeans such as the French, who were engaged in the subjugation of peoples in Africa and Asia, shared these views that they used to justify their colonial exploitation. This is the context for this curious story.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.