BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja 500 spectator report
rvrfish

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 07:51 PM
Baja 500 spectator report

First thanks to all those on the message board that responded to my questions about watching the 500.

Our group consited of myself my son Max age 10 my friend Jason and his wife Jenell.

We crossed the border at 6:45 on Friday morning and promptly missed the turn for the toll road, driving thru Tijuana with the tent trailer wasn't too bad, but when we were driving over the hill to get to Rosarito and the toll road. We hit a pot hole, more like a pot pit! Almost ripped the step of the trailer, I had been looking at that step for a couple of weeks saying to myself that I should take it off its to low etc... Well Baja took care of the step, I'm lucky it didn't fold back into the tire.

Arriving in Ensenada we could see lots of race trucks and chase vehicles but I couldn't find parking for the Land Cruiser and the trailer. I didn't try very hard and continued down the coast to our camping spot. This turned out to be the only thing I regret about the trip. I'm really bummed we missed race/tech. and Contingency. When we arrived at Erendira we turned north and set up camp past Coyote Cals. At approximately race mile 220. Our camp was right where the course went back up into the hills during last years 500. The rest of the day was spent exploring and goofing off. We realized we had plenty of time and should have spent it checking out the trucks back in Ensenada, Oh well we'll be back in November!

Around 4:00 Friday afternoon a Mexican family pulls up in a Jeep Cherokee their car is packed full! bicycles on top, boxes of fire wood strapped on top of that they drive by use look around then park a little way's down the bluff from us (like 50 yards) while the kids are setting up camp the father (Sergio) walks over to say hi. He say's we have been camping here for 20 years to watch the 500, we say wow that's great... Then he point to the ground where we are parking and say's we have been camping right here for 20 years to watch the 500, we spent the first week in may camping here...We say hey no problem we can move you guy's should have your spot, Sergio starts laughing and say's I'm not asking you to move I just wanted to let you know you have picked a great place to camp. Enjoy!

We spend that afternoon playing catch football and baseball with Sergio's family. Buying wood from another local that stopped buy etc.

That night we cooked a nice dinner then off to bed with dreams of Helicopters and race trucks.

Saturday morning we did some perch fishing and lots of tide pooling, while we were checking out the critters of the sea Sergio's mom was collecting mussel's. I'm thinking to myself how is she going to cook them? steam, bread and fry etc.? While we were watching the races I asked Sergio how she was cooking the mussels he said ceviche later on he stopped by the trailer with a bowl, there was even Octopus in it. Definitely one of those time when you smile, take a bite, say thank you, realize that it tastes pretty good, take a second bite, third then its all gone and your looking for more.

My neighbor in SB loaned us his race radio so we could follow the race progress via weather man and BFG pits. Having the radio really made the day, it was great to know what was going on. Max learned some new words from the weather man, (I had to explain what a "Richard Cranium" is) I can only imagine what the kids are saying on the 4th grade playground this week. (Probably the same things I said as a kid)

The Race WOW! from the first motorcycle at 1:00 till the end. we totally enjoyed watching each and every competitor. When a trophy truck would go by without its front clip we would speculate on how it happened etc. watching the quad rider get passed by a class one car then riding the next mile looking over his shoulder ever 2 seconds, you could see he was just waiting for the next car so he could get back to racing.

The only bummer of the whole day was. What are people thinking? Why do they think they should be on the course? We saw so many close calls.

At around 6:00 at night we are sitting on the inside of a slight but blind corner between two long straight sections we look up and hear comes a VW bus going the wrong way on the course right when we hear the sound of a trophy truck coming at us fast, we start yelling at the driver of the bus pull over, pull over etc.. the bus stops on the track on the right side of the road after a blind corner and he wont move off the course. I'm like no way is this happening.. I stand up and start the universal sign for slow down (palms down like I'm doing push ups) the race driver is not slowing down I start making the motion faster I can see the drivers eyes, he hits the brakes slides around the corner then drives off the road to avoid hitting the bus. Simply amazing. Then there was the kid on the quad riding the wrong way on the track, he decides to play chicken with a Trophy Truck he lost! We had to help him get his quad out of the bushes....

Car 552 "Danny Ledezma" was pitting in front of our camp so we stayed up and talked with their pit crew for a while, I went to bed but my buddy Jason stayed up and at 12:00 he woke me up so we could turn on the race radio, the 552 team was having trouble with theirs. Jason talked to the weatherman and found out the car was still racing and we should stay on site. They came by at 1:00 or so. We got to wipe off head lights and look for anything broken etc. while the real pit crew filled the car with gas. We found out they had broken a stub axle before the first check point and lost 4 hours fixing it. I was surprised at how upbeat and positive they were after such a set back. I see they went on to finish 4th pretty cool.

Oh yeah, at 1:00 Sunday morning this Toyota corolla with a big Lyon logo on the side stops by, these two guys get out and start asking questions, where they are on the race course? have we seen such and such style car? It turns out they are claims adjusters from Ensenada looking for someone who drove into a ditch. I can't imagine my state farm agent leaving the house on the weekend let alone late Saturday night.

The drive home on Sunday was uneventful except the long wait at the border.

Some notes for next time

What worked
97 Land Cruiser, I love this thing, totally capable, comfortable etc.
Race radio, really made the following the race more enjoyable
The local people, everyone we met was friendly and helpful just great!
The tent trailer, like sleeping on a cloud!

What didn't work
The tent trailer, Its time for a spring over and some 14" tires
Spare fuel, We didn't run out, but If we would have brought more fuel I would have burned it on Friday exploring.
Race program, we didn't have one but will get one for the 1000

Oh well this is pretty long report for such a short trip, I guess that's just Baja

Cheers,
Matt
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 07:58 PM

Great report - gald you had a good time

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 08:10 PM

Woderful report Matt!

You said it all very nicely and with the details that allow one to visualize your story!

Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 08:16 PM

I'm glad you had a great time. Being at the races can be and is most often fun and exciting. The down side is you see some of the most stupid things people will do, like the guy that wouldn't stop and pull over when you motioned to him and the kid on the ATV. We were at RM155 and when Scott McMillin pulled in his TT to the pit lots of people came over and many were on the race course taking pictures etc. I had to yell at them to get out of the way for the next TT coming thru. The next TT came around a blind corner maybe 200 feet from them at high speed. Oh well. I Hope you make it to contingency for the 1000. I was surprised at the number of vendors this year at the 500. Lots more than just T shirt sales. Remember the small low budget racer when your down there and give him or her a hand, they need it and it makes for great story telling.

[Edited on 6-7-2006 by TW]
rvrfish

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 08:46 PM

Wow replies already. I just finished placing a photo album on ofoto I pared down the 100 and something pictures to 25 I hope the link works and you all enjoy them.

Here is the link

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=72qgr8a.apvuy2pe&x=0...

Best,
Matt
Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 08:52 PM

Taking your kids to mex is one thing, but taking your kids to mex to see an offroad race is even better. Sounds like you and your family had a great time.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 08:53 PM

Great pics!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 07:30 AM

Ensenada was a mess for parking....contingency had moved and all my usual spots were gone....lucky to find a lot that charged $4.00 dollars....with a trailer it would have been really bad.....

I camped north of ERINDIRA myself....on the flat beach area ...but well before the hills start.....

As for the crazy people ....they have always been there and always will be there.....it's "entertainment"....:o
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:35 PM

Awesome trip report. Thanks for sharing your story!

I was amazed at the size of contingency this year. Very cool. We got into Ensenda fairly early and found parking for 3 trucks on one of the side streets no problem.

We camped on the beach at RM 304, well south of Erendira, and west/southwest of San Vicente. We had an awesome spot to watch racers come off the hill via one of two roads. Sometimes it was a race to see which route was the faster.

It never ceases to amaze me at the stupidity of people on race day.... not just cars and spectators on the course, but in fact CAMPED right in a part of the course. Yes, I said camped. There was a small short cut across an arroyo, the line of which could be easily picked out as having been pre-run just days (hours?) before. And yet there were people camped there. The first bike came through and had to go around people camping. It got even dicier when the TT's came through! And once the fog hit.... AYE!!!

But anyway, it was an awesome time. My son and I were lucky enough to get to stay through 'til Monday and get some surf and fishing at a little spot somewhere north of where we camped. Awesome! Fish for dinner on Sunday night and olas for the wake up call. Another great trip to Baja.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:53 PM

rvrfish
good report and photos thanks

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.