BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Where to Live?
mexigrl

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 06:35 PM

How safe is La Paz for a woman living alone? How about other areas? Also, what about places further North. I would like to drive from the US and have my car with me - it would seem that the trip that far south would be prohibitive - no?

Thank you

Mexigrl
mexigrl

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Spend a couple of weeks in Allende a couple of years ago and of all the central mexican cities this one was the most disappointing. The only place crawling with begging indian women and chicklet peddling kids , thanks to the gringos. Not much different from Acapulco, Vallarta and the like.

On any given day I count probably 10 begging women and kids, perhaps more on weekends. I do agree that SMA is getting comercialized. However, living there is a different experience than visiting. The local gringos are very involved in the community - running many great charities and really giving back in lots of ways. There is also a great arts community. There are ups and downs to having so many expats. I did travel to other cities in the area and they were definitely less gringo-ized. I especially enjoyed Queretaro - you could practically eat off the streets there it was so clean.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 07:11 PM

You will not find what you are looking for in the northern Baja, (Safety) if you forgo the safety Ensenada, otherwise La Paz.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
I would like to drive from the US and have my car with me - it would seem that the trip that far south would be prohibitive - no?

Prohibitive in what way? Six hours driving time each day once you cross the border. Gas up at half a tank and have a few gallons just in case. Take you 4 days from TJ to La Paz. Roadside motels range from 20-100 USD. Fish tacos are 10 pesos each. Just do something to maintain vigilance while driving. One second too long looking at scenery will get you in SERIOUS trouble.

You don't need a car import permit for Baja

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 06:59 AM

mexigrl:

Check your U2U.....
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 07:23 AM

Did I read that correctly? 4 days from Tj to LP? I guess it could take you that long or a year, depending on your stops.....most of us do it in 2 days and some of us in one very long one. With races that ended in LP, I would drive straight home associated with all of my gear.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 07:51 AM

4 days would be pretty leisurely!

Typically you could drive without breaking any speed limits from San Diego to Guerrero Negro in about 8-9 hours. There is a great motel that is secure there, called Posada de Don Vincente. Clean and inexpensive.

Then the next day to La Paz. Once again not breaking any speed limits and still enjoying the drive along the Bay of Conception, then the Sea of Cortez, past the mountains and onto the flat.

The road from TJ to La Paz is paved and by and large in great shape.

The city of La Paz is one of the best maintained cities in Baja Calif Sur, remember it is the capital city of the state and therefore gets a lot more of the attention to needs than other cities in its state.

There is nothing to not enjoy nor fear in La Paz, except perhaps a sun burn on the beach. Let not the fear mongers frighten you!

Go, enjoy!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.