Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buenos dias, buenas tardes
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 09:16 AM
Buenos dias, buenas tardes

It occurred to me today how many times a day I use those words, generally followed by como esta or como estas according to how well I know the person addressed.

My questions to you Nomads who live on ?the other side? is ?How many times a day do you say good morning or good afternoon to people that you meet on the street, at work, where ever?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 09:39 AM

When I'm out walking I always say good morning or evening etc. At work it's usually the first people I meet in the morning but seldom if ever in the afternoon or evening. I often stop by a store on the way home and it's usually a hello, how you doing type thing.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 09:59 AM

I say "'uenas" most of the day, but then even though this is U.S. territory 99% of the people I meet are Mexicans.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 10:36 AM

Being in business I say those words sometimes hundreds of times a day, but I never get tired of it.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 02:15 PM

I say those phrases or variations on them in any number of languages throughout the day. Also say please and thank you.:saint:;D:biggrin:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 02:28 PM

I always greet people with Good Morning/Afternoon, etc and I always ask them "How is your day going?".
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 02:35 PM

I use polite greetings all the time.

The difference is...when in the US it's only to people I know, because when I greet strangers they mostly think I'm nuts or dangerous or just ignore me...same with eye contact.

When I'm in Mexico, I use those greetings with total strangers, and they return them...same with eye contact.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 02:55 PM
Always

The ONLY occasions that I don't use the "formal" greeting is sometimes with close friends.

Back in 91, the first time we went to the Caribbean, I read in one of the Fodor's guides that one of the most common breaches of etiquette committed by U.S. tourists was the informal greeting of strangers. The other was the wearing of improper (casual) attire in inappropriate situations such as dining out. In the tropics, tourists are used to walking around in shorts and skimpy attire, but proper shirts and slacks/dresses are expected everywhere except fast-food outlets.

One morning, having breakfast at the Hotel, my wife greeted the waitress with "hi there". The waitress paused, looked at her intently and said "Good Morning, Ma'am". Point taken.
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 08:37 AM

hmm i guess i use them but since i live in mexico it's always nice that every one returns your smile with an even bigger smile and hello...that's what i like about mexico...every one is so friendly!!

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 09:01 AM

Natalie Ann, What other languages do use in a day besides English or Spanish? Many possibilities in Berkely!

I say buenas countless times a day here in Loreto, and smile and say hi as many in Montana. But when I smiled and said hi to strangers in upstate New York, they generally seemed to think I was odd. Maybe I should have said buenos dias?
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 09:03 AM

true but the real difference is that in mexico people respond to your "buenos dias" with a big smile most of the time and not just buenos dias and walk on past as though we were going to do something or with a look on their faces pretty easy to see...and in other country's people are just plain scared or take the wrong idea...but it is true that in big city's it's alittle hard to trust...but hey...there is a difference...i think

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 10:07 AM

My husband noticed that when Mexicans enter a restaurant, office etc, they will greet the people around them. I had never picked up on this, but now look for it and find it intriguing. We spent 3 hours waiting in a Notario's office a couple of days ago, and became very friendly with the other waiting clients by the time we were finished.

I had noticed at work that after long waits in the ER, often times spanish speaking patients and visitors would know something about other spanish speaking patients or visitors who were there. I used to think that it was the language commonality, but now i think there's a cultural component too.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 10:37 AM

Berkeley is very small town for a city. The population varies by race more than anywhere I've ever lived. People speak to each other on the street regularly looking one another in the eye and smiling. Folks offer to help strangers. Patients talk to each other in the doctor's office, and I wouldn't dream of entering a restaurant or business without acknowledging the staff and other patrons. This is how I was raised in Cornfield Illinois, and I found things much the same in Berkeley.

There are so many languages one hears everyday here, Paula. Mostly I'm walking in my neighborhood and am saying hello in Spanish or one of the Middle Eastern dialects (and yes, I'm probably butchering the latter - but it always gets a smile). My default greeting is the "uenas" which Oso mentioned. Leaving the 'hood one eventually hears smatterings of language from many countries throughout the world. When I meet people who speak these languages, I often ask them to teach me how to say "hello" along with a few simple pleasantries. Generally I'm able to remember the "hello" part, and then I practice saying it. Pretty simple.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.