Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nine Palms June 9th-29th
Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 08:57 PM
Nine Palms June 9th-29th

Hi folks, my first trip report, my 32nd trip down to Baja in 29 years. Just pored a small shot of Hornitos, so as not to forget anything. I have been a full time lurker on this site for about 2 years, I will try to contribute more from now on.
I stole my wife's Dogde Grand Carvan, took out all the rear seats, layed out a 1 inch pad, a tarp, more pad, then a sleeping bag for the ride down. Hitched up my 22ft Bayrunner Center Consol, powered by a Honda 90, a bunch of dive gear, fishing tackle...and something new, two softop surfboards.
My 14 year old daughter, Emily, had major brain surgery at age 11. She is about 90% recovered, and she proclamed a desire to learn to surf! Get the picture?
We spent 2 weeks last October, for free, at a time share, the Hacienda del Mar, Sheration, a few miles outside of Cabo San Lucas. (kind of a dungeon/clip joint). At that time we surfed twice at Old Man's and Zippers in San Jose del Cabo. Add a few times up in Norther California, and that was our total experince.
I aquired a bunch of surf info on line, some on this site, so we checked out on Friday, June 9th. With Emily and me was our awesome cattle dog/heeler, 3 year old, Swissie.
We spent a night at a motel parking lot in San Deigo, and hit the border, TJ, about 6:30am. The front check in area didn't open until 8:00am, so I ran out the back side to the tourist check-in office, jogged back to pay, jogged back to have it stamped, then jogged back to the car. The entire time I was in contact with Emily via a pair of cheap two way radios. It worked great.
Next was this new off ramp just past the border, that I had heard about. What a relief! It was a b-tch on a busy morning, with a boat in tow, to get on the toll road to Ensenada before this off ramp was put into place. Good idea!
In my head, the next milestone is to get past Ensenada, past Maneadero, and into some open space. No problema, off and running. Another milestone, and one that I enjoy, is El Rosario. I have good luck in that town!
About 25 years ago, when the gas station was around the corner, at about 2 in the morining, while gassing up, the gas attendance, a husband and wife, gave us clam burritos! Free!
I think it was past Catavina, we had a CLOSE CALL! On a straight section of the road, a big rig was stopped in opposite lane. Out front was the driver, looking at his rig. His motor was running and he didn't hear us coming. I was a bit dull from the two days of driving, but the trucker was just about to step into the other lane when I honked the horn. It scared the chit out of him. We passed about 45 mph, and we missed him by inches! We both needed to wake up.
Spent the night in the La Pinta motel parking lot, just north of Guerrero Negro. REMEMBER THE EAR PLUGS! We did. Stop in for a look at the mission in San Ignacio, then kept trucking.
The first site of the Sea of Cortez on a trip down is one of the greatest thing in my life! Traveling east towards Santa Rosalia, the sea was....speechless. Had to fool aroung with the trailer lights, just outside of La Paz. I had brough a LED flashlight that you wear on your head. IT WORKED GREAT. Also don't forget the voltage tester.
Made it all the way to Martin Verdugo's trailer park in Los Barriles for the night. Could not believe it. I have not been to Martin's for about 20 years! What a change. Was that his wife who checked me in? No, it was his daughter. I ran into Martin at the pool that night, same excellent man.
At about 6:00am, there was a steady stream of fisherman passing out camp site. They all drove slow, but a big block truck, with a Mexican exghaust is very noisy. Add to the fact that I always camp where I can see the water, and my boat, Martin's was not going to do.
I checked out the camp north of town, about one mile up, called Playa Norta, or North Beach. It was still a bit far for me to carry gas cans to my boat, and I still was not sure where we would surf, so we keep looking. ( the past 28 years I have stayed at Muertos Bay, and now, La Ventana).
We left Los Barriles, and headed for San Jose del Cabo. Surfed at Old Man's the next day, but the ocean was BIG! All the newbies were thrown up on the beach, only the pros were out! It was late in the day, around 5:00, and I guess the ocean was perfect. Just lucky. Emily, Swissie, and I watch in awe, as a few kids were tearing it up! The swell was perfect, and beautiful! There were about 50 people watching at Cabo Surf, all yelling when a great set came in. While there, we were told to go check out Nine Palms. The next day we did.........
Nine Palms was the place for us! We packed our gear from North Beach, left the boat there, and set up camp. THIS IS THE BAJA I LOVE! I almost alway camp out on the Sea of Cortez. At Nine Palms, there was about 6 or 8 other camper. That day the ocean was coming down, we jumped in, and we were in bliss. Didn't quit until we (me) were whipped!
Had a small 8ft x 8ft cover, small tent, and I slept on a cot. Propane bottle, with lantern, stove, and grill, 150 qt ice box, we were set up! Went to town about every 3 or 4 days for a large piece of ice, ($3.00), food, and water.
Up the road about 4 miles was Vinorama, and the "Country Club". It is a small, modest resturant, with internet access. It is awesome, and it is Baja! I took Emily there for a break, so she could get on line, and I could watch the "Sea", while enjoying a Pacifico ballena. I had a lot of ballenas. The Country Club is just a few feet from the waters edge. At times I watched 10ft waves crash on the beach, as there was a big storm south causing a large swell.
We went to Cabo Pulmo three time to freedive, man has Cabo Pulmo changed! I saw a grouper about 30 pounds, a coral eel, but the diving was not to good because of the swell. La Ventana, Cerravalo Island is much better.....next time! I made one night dive for lobsters at Nine Palms, what a mistake. The swell was big....I took a whipping. Shot a 8 pound parrot fish, they are great grilled, then into burritos!
As far as fishing, I saw a large fish boil on the beach, the first day, threw out a 1/4 ounce castmaster, caught a one pound jack....and that was it! This trip was all about SURFING!
I think Emily and I surfed for 16 days, out of 17. I WAS SO TIRED! Emily was never tired. There is a big difference from age 50 to age 14! Rejoice young man (and women) in your youth!
It was a great trip, but what effected me most, were the people at Nine Palms. The year before, while surfing at Old Man's, in San Jose del Cabo, I jumped on a wave in front of a 20 year old kid, by accident. He dressed me down for 5 minutes, acting like I raped his grandmother. What an ass.
At Nine Palms, I was gun shy. I always said I was sorry when I butcher a surfer on his wave.(about 5 times). Every surfer at Nine Palms said," Don't worry about it", or "its cool bro", or the like. I had people telling me at Nine Palms, "Get on this wave Ron" or "TAKE IT" , "LETS GO!". "MOVE IT, IT YOU! these surfers could tell I was trying like hell to learn, and they were real cool about it.
What happened to me was great, but what the surfers did for my daughter make me want to cry with joy. Her balance is still not up to par because of her surgery. She tried like hell!. There were at least 15 surfers giving advice, in the water, over the entire 16 days at Nine Palms. Ages from 18 to 65 would stop and give slow, sincere advice. Women and men both. About the 14 day, Emily had spent about 4 hours in the water trying to get up. She had a cheering section from the beach, every time she got close, and when she did get up, alot of people let her know with plenty of noise. It was great.
Emily and I got to know a lot of cool people, from all over, at Nive Palms. We left all our gear out in the open, and so did everyone else. We heard of nothing being stolen. This spot is about 50 minutes from San Jose del cabo, 50 minutes from Cabo Pulmo, and there is a newer road overland to San Jose del Cabo we called the Palo road. It is on the AAA map. We will be back next year, with my wife and younger daughter.
We checked out the new marina at San Jose, and had lunch, next to the Marina at a small resturant, it was good. I heard the marina may open next year, we will see. Went into Cabo for a peek one day, that was enough for me. Also went to the city dumps on the Palo road. This is the dumps for the los Cabos area. MAN, WE NEED TO RECYCLE! It was horrible!
Our ride home was uneventful. Top temp we found was just past San Ignacio, at 104. Just south of the Grapevine was 108! All the checkpoints were....unmaned!. We were never pulled over, and never ripped off at the gas pumps. The roads were great compaired to 1978. I feel the road are getting wider at some spot, and very few rough spots.
Eleven and a half months until the next trip, time to start planning now! Fish n dive Ron (n surf)
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 09:14 PM

Thanks for a killer report
I always appreciate a positive report about the East Cape and you were in the spot.
this is a repeat from another post of the waves in La Playita this morning. I would love it if it became a surfing spot....well besides the estuary sand bar.

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 09:28 PM

That's one hell of a report, Ron, and it's also so typical! Surfers can be a bunch at times, but it sounds like you experienced true aloha. As any parent of teenagers will tell you, that trip will bond you two like no other, and should times get tough, you'll always have that trip to remind both you what its all about.

Gawd....having teenagers is hell........
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 08:18 AM

Great report Ron. Having fun with your kids is always great, especially when it's activities like camping, fishing, hiking and in your case surfing. To bring her down to Baja and meet people and be in different surroundings is an experience she never forget.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 08:23 AM

good times......glad emily is doing well!

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 06:50 PM

the old days of surfing there, ship wrecks, la fortuna,destiladeras, boga de tule and punta gorda were the days before the houses came. it was all good.:coolup:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.