Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Windows update probs
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2006 at 12:52 PM
Windows update probs

Every time Windows auto updates it' goofs up my computer. Sometimes it will actually crash and close all programs and shut down. Even when I have instructed it to wait! So if you find you can't control your computer. Close all apps and reboot. Otherwise Windows may do it for you. Not sure about your particular computer but we have three and it messes with all of em differently.

This may be the reason so many have probs at the same time.:?:

AS far as cookies go, I have never had an expired cookie barring usage on the Nomads.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-20-2006 at 02:35 PM
Don't Feel Alone !

Windows XP Auto Updates have been a source of frustration from the very beginning. When Service Pack two came out, it also crashed a lot of the computers.

I've got (4) systems right now running XP and, because they all have different peripherals and various software differences, they each react differently to different updates. I would say it makes me long for the old days of Win 98 SE except that I have one Laptop running that and it has serious issues with a lot of newer programs, even those it's supposed to work with.

Either the July or August issue of "PC World Magazine" has an article discussing the various glitches resulting from XP Auto updates and how to deal with them. PC World also sends out a disk to their subscribers with "150 tips to take control of Windows XP". I've got it in a file, but have never bothered to look at it yet.

On one PC call-in radio show awhile back, the PC guy said "You think you've got it bad, imagine being an IT Guy for a corporation with 150 Workstations running XP".

Regarding Cookies, I have all of my browsers (Netscape) set to limit cookies to the current session, so they all disappear when I close the browser. It might slow things down slightly, but not enough to notice.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2006 at 03:53 PM
windows

Mac.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2006 at 04:15 PM
shut her down

Another option is to shutdown your computer when it's not in use. That way you are in the driver's seat to determine if and when the update should be applied. This may not be an option for everyone and it's certainly an inconvenience.

I never seem to have this problem. An icon appears on the bottom (taskbar they call it) telling me that an update is available but it never applies anything until I click on the icon. Are you sure there isn't a way of setting the updates to not be automatic?
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 7-20-2006 at 04:54 PM

We use XP with automatic updates and have never encoutered a problem!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-20-2006 at 07:36 PM
No Update Problems ??

No problems with Windows Updates simply means that you're a part of the majority of users. Obviously, if a significant majority were having problems, Microsoft would be working overtime to fix it.

Having said that, it is clear that there are numerous problems experienced with the Windows Updates simply because so many PC magazine articles have been written about them, in addition to the discussions on the AM Radio band. I listen whenever I'm on the road to Jeff Levy on KFI (640) or Kim Kommando (?) on Yuma KBLU (560). Believe me, Windows update problems come up frequently.

A lot has to do with drivers and peripherals, but the Dell Dimension that I bought recently for Baja crashed on the initial Win update and periodically it will crash after an update, but then fixes itself on reboot. My Wife's computer is on an 802.11B net which does not have a Windows "Signed" (read extortion) driver so everytime there is a major update, it disconnects the network. My main (shop) computer has a LOT of various programs and peripherals that I play around with and it chokes now and then, always recovering.

You CAN set your updates to "notify" you when they are available and only download after you confirm. Go into Control Panel Security Center and choose Automatic Updates. However, this won't address a crashing problem since you have no idea which update "might" be a problem. You get a whole list, most of them identifying "Security" Vulnerabilities which might let someone screw with your system. You don't really know what any of them are going to do. Best advice: load the updates and fix the crash. No other real choice.
Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 09:44 AM

A couple of months ago the XP auto update wiped out my outlook express; PCWORLD magazine said the vast majority of users of outlook express suffered this fate....

Microsoft was aware of this but offered no solution other than to remove the update (which could cause other problems)....

Disgusted and dismayed, I now use Mozilla Firefox browser and Mozilla's Thunderbird for my email now. Fewer attacks now.....

Microsoft is on a downhill slide and there are alternatives to this spaghetti code operating system. Nice article in 7/24 WSJ concerning alternatives to Microsoft...
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 09:09 PM

tehag right, get a mac, no problemos...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.