Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Daily Insurance?
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 11:47 AM
Daily Insurance?

Hola Nomads, My parents are going to Baja for a weeks stay at Estero Beach, next week.Can you guys/gals give me the name of an agency that will provide them with insurance only for the day they drive down and the day they drive back?Once they get there, they don't drive until its time to go home.Thanks in advance!

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 12:23 PM

Daily Insurance? Sounds about like posting bond.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 02:06 PM

Sally, click on the link bajabound up in the Nomad header. They can probably help you. I fear that they will have to buy the insurance for the week. For instance, what happens if a hurricane comes along and washes the car away. Also, the insurance company would have no way of knowing that they werent driving the car. I believe that once in Mexico they should have coverage anyway, just to be safe.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 02:13 PM

Most insurance companies should be able to handle that. Lots of people I know have insurance for the drive down and back only. Why insure a vehicle that's parked for days/weeks/months?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 03:51 PM

Judy, We called Bajabound and they said pretty much the same thing, for the whole week only.However, bajalou has a point that I was trying to make, and I have to agree with him about why insure if you are not driving? There will be other family members there also, so if they get hurt or need transportation they have backup.Just can't remember which company it was we used to use that did it on a daily basis:?: I'm thinking maybe it was "Instant Insurance" off San Ysidro Blvd. on the right??

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 04:14 PM

Before getting an annual policy through Lewis & Lewis, I got insurance and legal coverage by the day from Instant Mexico Auto Insurance. url: http://www.instant-mex-auto-insur.com/

They used to have an office at the E-Street offramp of the southbound 805, next to the Burger King. There's also an online form on their website for getting a policy issued by fax, obviating the need for a pre-border stop.

I can't vouch for current service, but about eight years ago I had an accident in TJ, their adjuster showed up in 25 minutes and then sent me and the other guy off after making copies of stuff and giving us paperwork, telling me to submit 2 bids for my damage from stateside body shops. I got a check for the lower bid less than two weeks after that.

As for this "driving days only" idea, I concur that it's not a good one. The coverage is cheap enough that they should pay for the whole week (I have no idea if Instant Mexico would only insure for the first and last days -- I kinda doubt it). Why take the chance of it being stolen or crashed into while parked?

[Edited on 7-25-2006 by DanO]

[Edited on 7-25-2006 by DanO]

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 04:14 PM

Not a great idea, but if they are set on that and don't fear the car being stolen or damaged while it's parked, then just go to BajaBound.com and buy TWO seperate one day policies for the dates you select (you do it online, no need to deal with anyone who will try and talk you out of it).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2006 at 06:52 PM

Hmmm, DanO just brought up a very good question1 I think I will get them insurance for the whole week, even tho they will have the car(Lexus) parked at their room.Better not to take any chances.I'll also mention the possibility of two seperate policies.Thanks Nomads!

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2006 at 02:44 PM
Bajabound

I gotta say, these people are top notch!! Got insurance for my folks for the week at a very reasonable price, and called them after to ask if they had a map of the border online.This gal, Jennifer, got on her computer and remembered that she had seen a pictorial map of the border(southbound) on the Rosarito Beach.com site.Awesome for my dear old folks, very clear and precise! Dad left here with a lot lighter load on his mind than when he got here. Thanks for the good advice from you all.:tumble:,Sally

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.