Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oso, really nice Mexico City Heli-pix on the off topic, Thanks
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 10:20 AM
Oso, really nice Mexico City Heli-pix on the off topic, Thanks

What an amazing and (shocking) place. Some of the architecture, though, is REALLY neat. The house on the platform would have to be called unique! Thanks for sharing.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 10:48 AM

Oso...Great pics! My wife and I went last year for the NFL game at Aztec Stadium along with 105,000 other fans and what an experience. We also had tours of downtown, churches and incredible old buildings. I'd call Mexico City organized CHAOS to say the least. The sprawl is amazing with over 25 million people. We stayed at the Marriot downtown right at Chapultepec Park and walked to the Anthrological Museum about a mile away....what an awesome place and unbelieveable artifacts. I doubt I'd ever go back but what an experience! They were having the anniversary of the great quake and had amazing enlarged photos of the devastation all over the fences along the boulevards were just mind boggling. Our guide said the shaking went on for almost 5 minutes.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 05:10 PM

The Museo de Antropologia is definitely worth the trip. In fact it's almost the only thing that could get me back there. Ah for the old days, getting off the Toluca Rocket at the flower market at the bottom end of Constituyentes, a short walk through Chapultepec Park to catch a pesero at the monument to Los Ni?os Heroes, coffee at Sanborns, a stroll through the Alameda, a really cheap foreign film in the Zona Rosa, a light rain at exactly 4:00 pm in the rainy season, clear skies, a calm stroll past the Angel after midnight c-cktails at the Maria Isabel along an almost deserted Paseo de La Reforma with never a thought of being robbed....:rolleyes:

BTW, if you haven't figured out the "Nobody's guessed" reference- that's Los Pinos, the Mexican "White House".

[Edited on 7-28-2006 by Oso]

[Edited on 7-28-2006 by Oso]

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 05:39 PM

I love Mexico. It is such an unbelievable city. They say that there is a museum for everyday of the year. Havent been in a number of years but anytime that we pass through there, we always plan to stay a few extra days to enjoy the culture, the museums, the theatre, the restaurants...etc.(remember I live here in Baja where culture is well.................)
Oso
Thanks for the fabulous link. I am still marvelling at some of the photos.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 05:47 PM

Thanks for the great link Oso - appreciate it

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 06:08 PM

I've wanted to see the floating gardens at Xochimilco since I saw the picture in my high school Spanish text! Also the museums, the architecture, the markets, the people- everything. The DF looks sooooooo overwhelming-- but definitely worthwhile.

Thanks Oso, that was fantastic armchair travel!
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 10:45 PM

Like others have said, great photos.

I love DF. It's a lot to handle; but, there are some great places in and around DF.

I really enjoy the old buildings in the "Centro Histerico" as the locals call it. The metro system there is awsome in it own right.

The parks, the restruants, nightlife, and musems. It's crazy; but, fun. I'll walk almost anywhere in the daytime; but, I don't venture out at night much unless in a radio Taxi, etc...

I always stop in "Churreria el Morro" just few blocks south of the Alameda for Hot Coco and Churros. (The only things on the menu are 4 types of hot coco and churros!)

I've always said, if you can handle yourself in LA, NY, or SF you will do fine in DF. It's just a big city.. a really big city.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 11:00 PM

Great stuff! Thanks!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 07:51 AM

At first glance, the figure of 19 million made me wonder how old was this article. I've heard over 20 million for many years. Reading further, I realized this referred strictly to "City limits" and did not include Netzalhualcoyotl etc. The urban area expands well into the State of Mexico without any visually discernible dividing line. People were pouring in at a rate of 1,000 PER DAY as far back as 20 years ago. I haven't seen any recent estimates on population of the "megalopolis". I'd guess at least 30- 40 million.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.