BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: mulege, the mexican mayberry
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
If you leave your vehicle open, you stand a better chance of driving away with a complete car.

Interesting that you should say that. Oahu has had a "smash and dash" auto burglary problem on the north shore at public beaches. Now people just leave their doors open, windows down, and truck lids up wirth nothing inside. It took care of the problem.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Mulege is awesome. I first came down there in my uncles plane when I was in 6th grade and we introduced the frisbee to the locals. I would now like to get a small piece of the pie but my visits to the two realtors, Lorane and Pierce were not very productive. Is there anyone else that might be selling some semi-desolate beachfront in the mulege area (30 miles either direction) without charging an arm and a leg.

did you check with Baja Rio Realty? they are the good one in Mulege.:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 05:57 PM

I have begun to assure everyone that all the bad stories they have heard rumored actually twice as bad and 3 times as many....sure wish I knew more people to 'convince'..... My problem is I can not say it with a straight face and the next thing I know I am blabbering away about this and that favorite spot...

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 07:53 PM

Got hit for a window($168.00),cell phone(200.00),camera(250.00 ), binox.(100.00) If I would have left it unlocked and open probably nothiing would have happened.Tell you next year as I test this out.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 08:43 PM
Met Kerry Otterstrom (aka Vikingo) some years ago...

...about 5 or 6, as I remember. I wanted to take some pic's of town from the hills, so I drove up behind the Prison, kept climbing north of town till I ran out of 'road'. Parked to take some pics, and noticed this lone guy waving from his small casa above us to the north. He saw us taking pics and waved us up to his place.

As we approached, Kerry introduced himself and offered us to sit and enjoy the evening view. As we talked, he told us of being a 'barkeep' in town, and at one time, the only 'licensed' Gringo guide in the area...but now 'retired' or 'blackballed', didn't quite know which.

Kerry told us of the book he had put together some time earlier about Mulege. When I expressed interest, he rummaged around in the casa to find a copy for us, and we traded a bottle of Tequila for his hospitality - and joined him in 'sampling' the nectar! When I got back to our Playa, and looked at his book, it was full of 'worm holes'...guess his stash of unsold copies was holding up the corner of his bed...:smug: It's a great reminder of a pleasant evening spent with a new 'local' friend in Mulege.

We would run into Kerry in town, from time-to-time, and I believe I've read here that he later married a local gal, and then moved on to other environs.

Marv, I couldn't agree with you more about Mulege...just a wonderful, small town 'feel' that welcomes most everyone - but let's not spread the word around too far...:D We've even had our chrome vale stem caps 'appropriated' by the local kids in the plaza - so we really feel like 'family'! My wife, Patricia is from Arkansas, and NEVER meets a 'stranger', she's right at home when in Mulege, a Baja 'Oasis', in more ways that one!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
-----a wonderful place, Mulege!! and a great picture.

In line with your comment that "everybody knows everybody", (or something like that)--------I have a little book called "Mulege" by Kerry Otterstrom (aka Vikingo) given to me by the author several years ago while we were visiting Mulege(actually quite a few years ago). Have you heard of this guy, and is he still around? He seemed like a very colorful person, to us, and we enjoyed talking to him, and reading his book.

This book?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 08:59 PM

This man?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 09:07 PM
David...

...you're close, but I think that last picture is of Carlos Santana and Kenny Rogers...:cool:

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 09:33 PM

DK, I think he may be in Todos Santos??? There are two guys there that I keep mixing up, one is Pat Dodds and the other I don't remember the name, but he looks like your picture, but older. Maybe???

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 10:56 PM
That's the book, David------and the pic from it

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 05:42 AM

if Mulege is "Mayberry".............would that then make Santa Rosalia , "Mt. Pilot"??
:yes::yes::yes:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 05:48 AM
huh

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Well, one thang is sure. The sun got to Marv! :cool: Suerte!

i think it did

kerry left in 2003

[Edited on 8-19-2006 by mulege marv]

Want what you have
todoamiga

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 10:59 AM

your right Toneart - Mulege: too many tourists, crummy expats, and nothing to do in town... :spingrin: not sure what I was thinking yesterday... my sentimental side showing I guess. heard Loreto?s a good town.... and just up the road a bit as well :bounce:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by todoamiga
your right Toneart - Mulege: too many tourists, crummy expats, and nothing to do in town... :spingrin: not sure what I was thinking yesterday... my sentimental side showing I guess. heard Loreto?s a good town.... and just up the road a bit as well :bounce:

Yeah, Yeah, Loreto....and just up the road!:yes:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.