Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: shellfish safe to eat?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:11 PM
shellfish safe to eat?

wondering about safety of the clams this time of year from the pacific. can you cook out the "potential" poisons. i don't think so, but i wanna check. gonna get some pismo's for bait anyway so i might grab a few extra for a clam linguini on the beach.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:30 PM

i cant tell you about down there but in oregon and washinton clear up to bc there poison but there saying if there cooked its ok>?? im not going to try it till they can be eaten raw

jerry and judi
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:38 PM

Hey Woody, we eat everything here all year round...pismo clams, mussels, oysters, the works and never heard of anyone getting sick. HOpe we see ya on this trip.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 11:34 PM
If you Google

the correct keywords you'll see that algal blooms occur in Baja regularily. If you witness this I would refrain from eating bivalves for a period of time. Cooking does not prevent poisoning.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 06:12 AM

I will take the advice of Sharksbaja, I don't know anyone that knows more about seafood than he dose.

check his website

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 08:36 AM

hea sharks
have you heard the news report on tv?? they said c-cking does kill it??
perhaps its not the alge bloom in oregon?? are they mistaken?? im sure you keep up on it thanks jerry

jerry and judi
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 12:49 PM

The rule of thumb I always go by is if there is an "R" on the month it is OK to eat the shell fish (Ie SeptembeR through ApRil). Algae blooms are more common in the Summer's warm water and it is the toxicity in contained in the algae that the shell fish concentrate that causes the Toxic Shellfish Poisoning. Cooking will not remove it.

If you like to gamble, go ahead and eat, most people do not die from it......and some of the symptoms are the same as drinking too much Tequila :lol:

Quote:
Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning

PSP is a marine toxin disease with both gastrointestinal and neurologic symptoms reported worldwide. It is caused predominantly by the consumption of contaminated shellfish.

Gonyaulacoid dinoflagellates are the source of PSP marine toxins.These unicellular dinoflagellates develop algal blooms.....

Five to 30 minutes from consumption, there is slight perioral tingling progressing to numbness which spreads to face and neck to moderate cases. In severe cases, these symptoms spread to the extremities with incoordination and respiratory difficulty. There are medullary disturbances in severe cases evidenced by difficulty swallowing, sense of throat constriction, speech incoherence or complete loss of speech, as well as brain stem dysfunction. Within 2-12 hours, in very severe cases, there is complete paralysis and death from respiratory failure in absence of ventilatory support. After 12 hours, regardless of severity, victims start to recover gradually and are without any residual symptoms within a few days (Bower et al, 1981, ILO 1984, Halstead 1988).

Other symptoms include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, rapid pain, and anuria. There is no loss of consciousness and the reflexes are unaltered except maybe pupillary size and sight may be temporarily lost.

The overall mortality (case fatality rate) was about 8.5% -9.5% in two large series (Meyer 1953, Ayres and Cullum 1978). However, the Guatemalan 1987 outbreak on Pacific coast had a case fatality rate of 14%

map showing expected Toxic Shellfish Poisoning culprits around the US. Pacific coast of Baja probably similar to So Cal.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 01:24 PM
I'm not really clear

on exactly which culprit they are talking about. Bacteria related illness can normally be avoided by cooking whereas the dinoflaggelate and diatomaceous blooms produce toxins not neutralized by heat. Jerry see if you can get a scientific name. I think the media is at fault by stating cooking remediates the problem. That to me would be a gamble regardless of the evaluation. Why take chances.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/marinetoxins_g.ht...

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 09:08 PM

stick to the seaweed, you can't go wrong, they're all edible and they got tons of nutrients.

I spent a whole week on the Olympic peninsula this summer, eating that (along with different kinds of berries, trout and beach peas)

[Edited on 8-16-2006 by jide]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 12:35 AM

Good man Jide!!:D

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 06:15 AM

think they'll ever make beer out of seaweed???:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 07:55 AM

dinoflaggelate and diatomaceous ? These words are too big for me to understand. Diatomaceous might be what I put in my swimming pool filter. Dinoflaggelate sounds like a prehistoric animal pado that comes on after midnight. Bob and Susan can probably understand these words---they live in Mulege and Upland.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
think they'll ever make beer out of seaweed???:lol:

Bob and Susan . Actually they already do. "Irish Moss" is added to some beer to help precipitate proteins in beer that can result in cloudiness (chill haze)

lero
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 05:46 PM

I even made onion rings with chopped-up kelp floaters fried in batter, yum!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.