BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: October Baja Run. Some advice, por favor?
Mons

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 09:44 PM
October Baja Run. Some advice, por favor?

Hi all!

My name is Jeb and I am brand new here.

I reside in the Monterey Bay of California and I was directed your way from Expedition Portal.

In October, we, myself and my girlfriend so far, will leave on the morning of the 12th and head into Baja through TJ and shoot south in a straight shot to La Paz. Hopefully, we will get there in a couple of days then, after relaxing there and seeing what there is to see, start slowly heading back up the Sea of Cortez side and ending up back in Cali around the 28th or 29th.
Camping, kayaking, spear fishing, snorkeling, etc...all the way up.
No cement plans from that point, play it by ear, smell the roses and camp where it looks good. A hotel here and there for a hot shower and soft bed will probably happen.
Definitely explore the ocean and hills alike.
I have been down a few times, on dirt bikes and in cars as far as Bahia de Conception and Mulege, so I am sort of familiar with that area but La Paz up to Conception will be new to me and I am hoping to find a good off-highway coastal route from La Paz to Loreto. According to my GPS map, the road turns to dirt around San Juan de la Costa and you can continue up to San Evaristo.
Is this correct? If so, how is the route? Safe?
From that point, is there anyway to get up to 1 just south of Loreto while staying along the ocean?
We will be in my '93 FZJ 80 with capacity for 69 gallons of fuel.
My girlfriend's first language is Spanish so she will help with communication but it has never been an issue for me down there.
A little Spanish goes a long way.
If you have any good input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Jeb

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by Mons]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 10:19 PM

Great fun in store for you... No road from San Evaristo to Loreto along the coast... the terrain makes it impossible (almost). A couple of roads go into Agua Verde and that is worth a visit!

The Nomad search engine is very helpful! Bajaboy was in that area and posted details, so type in Agua Verde and bajaboy into the search and links to all his posts about Agua Verde will pop up... To get more details (about San Evaristo for example) just type in that subject and leave the Nomad's name blank, then everyone who typed San Evaristo into a post, you will get links to.

Welcome to Nomad!

Oh, a friend called 'Baja Spell Checker' said it's LORETO.;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mons

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Oh, a friend called 'Baja Spell Checker' said it's LORETO.;D

Why...whatever are you talking about? ;D

All fixed. Guess I need to stay out of Texas.

Thanks for the advise.

I heard there is a road that goes west out of there to Las Pocitas.

Perhaps that might be a route to think about?

What awaits me in Agua Verde? Besides green water :biggrin:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 11:05 PM

Oh, it's a beautiful area...

There are some hot springs right in the tidal zone that may be fun... if the Green Tortoise Tour group isn't around! Park at San Cosme unless it's low tide then drive north along the cliff...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 10:20 AM

re San evaristo: my favorite route is through Las Pocitas (think that's Km118 north of La Paz - it's just up the road from our ranch), you go through attractive country (about 70km) to La Soledad, where you climb into beautiful mountains, over the top and down into San Evaristo.

Just basic supplies in SE and water is tight, so go prepared. Plentiful fish from friendly pescadores. One of my favorite place - although I do insist on a boat - it opens up that whole beautiful coast, including Isla San Jose and the secret lagoon . .

Viaje bien . .

Rob

Mons

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 11:28 AM

If I am coming from SE, I see other roads that head more NW to places like Cantarrana, El Caporal, El Chollero & out to 1. How is that area and road conditions? What about some rivers, creeks, ponds to swim in in that area?

Once again, thanks for the good info!

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
re San evaristo: my favorite route is through Las Pocitas (think that's Km118 north of La Paz - it's just up the road from our ranch), you go through attractive country (about 70km) to La Soledad, where you climb into beautiful mountains, over the top and down into San Evaristo.

Just basic supplies in SE and water is tight, so go prepared. Plentiful fish from friendly pescadores. One of my favorite place - although I do insist on a boat - it opens up that whole beautiful coast, including Isla San Jose and the secret lagoon . .

Viaje bien . .

Rob
Mons

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 01:17 PM

I use the term loosely. Maybe just somewhere to get your feet wet. Get my drift? :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Mons
What about some rivers ... that area?

River? What's a river? :O

--Larry
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 05:56 PM

Bienvenido (welcome) Jeb! We live in Bahia Asuncion and hope you stop by to see us and we can take you spearfishing and dive a cool steamship wreck here, surf boogie board,hike etc etc....you'll love it. Oh yeah and Agua Verde is awesome, it's where we go for a vacation from our paradise. But even in Easter week it's hot so be prepared for heat and take a shade umbrella. buen viaje and hope to see ya on your way back....your baja buds...shari & juan

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.