BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hospitals, doctors, clinics, etc.?????
fossilnut

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 07:20 AM
Hospitals, doctors, clinics, etc.?????

I've been trying to get information of hospitals, doctors, clinics, etc. in Baja and have been having little success.

We're planning on spending up to 6 months in Baja this winter (mostly in the area from Santa Rosalia to La Paz). As my hubby had a stroke a couple of years ago and needs to get regular blood tests, we need to know where we can get medical help. Appreciate your help with info, web sites, etc.

We don't want to leave this to asking locally when we get there!!!

Thanks!

Sandy
jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 07:32 AM

Each town or city has at least one red cross clinic where you can get your blood pressure checked.Most towns have a clinic staffed by a super firstaider who can help in all medical problems.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 08:02 AM

Do you mean lab work when you say blood tests? Nu?ez Laboratories in Loreto is excellent, and results are quick. I'm sure there is a good lab in La Paz too.

If you know what tests you need you can have work done at Nu?ez without a doctor's order. They speak very little English, but little is needed in a straightforward request.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 08:10 AM

I'll guess he needs pro-time testing because he's on coumadin? The name of the test in Spanish is "determinanion de tiempo de protrombina". The fee for the test (at least in Ensenada) is $7.50 the first time and about $5 for subsequent testing. We use Nunez Labs here. They give you a print out with all the info and the INR is clearly stated so you can report it to your doctor in the States.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 08:20 AM

Welcome fossilnut.

there are laboratorys in Santa Rosalia, and Mulege. I don't know how much you know about doctors and such here in Mexico but it is way deferent than in the US. you are doing the right thing by checking it out before you come.I hope some Nomads that know more about it than I jump in here and tell you what to expect.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 09:31 AM

Sandy:

I can only speak for the facilities in La Paz. I've been very satisfied with the medical treatment I've received here, I've received treatment in 3 different Hospitals, depending on different circumstances, but I gravitate to Fidipaz Hospital because there's always a doctor or a nurse on duty who speaks English to varying degrees. I have Mexican friends who go with me to translate if it's a planned visit, because I'm not willing to place my life on the line because of a language barrier. I attempt to call them & get them to meet me there if it's an emergency; I go into anaphalactic shock from wasp stings, which is a little hard to plan for!! There are several laboratories here in La Paz. I'd recommend bringing a copy of the tests your husband requires, they might not understand you, but the liklihood of them understanding actual tests results is much greater!

Basic rule of thumb is the smaller more isolated the town, the smaller the medical facilities, but small doesn't necessarily mean bad or unequiped. The equipment may be old or non-existant as you're used to, but the treatment frequently exceeds the level of care you'd get in a US facility. If you need to drag a Espanol-speaking gringo or an English-speaking local off the streets....go for it! You'll typically find both more than willing to help if they can!

Have a great time!!!
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 09:51 AM

also, you may want to read through this thread for emergency plans:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=15454&pag...

The emergency number in Baja is 066 which will connect you to Cruz Roja (Red Cross). There is always someone available that speaks English. They will dispatch an ambulance or whatever you need. I've been able do dial it directly from my Verizon cell without any additional numbers, just 066.
fossilnut

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 06:53 PM

Thanks for all your information!!! I've been searching for more info on the web and have another question. Is it a good idea to have both SkyMed and join BEMCC? Also, what exactly will US health insurance policies usually cover in Baja? (We have Aetna and they say they will cover "emergencies" only in Mexico). Would that include "emergency evacuation"?

I'm thinking that the peace of mind of having both SkyMed and BEMCC might well be worth it. Opinions?

Sandy
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fossilnut
(We have Aetna and they say they will cover "emergencies" only in Mexico). Would that include "emergency evacuation"?

Sandy

You would have to ask your ins carrier about the evacuation. Each company handles it differently

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 07:49 PM

I have known people in Mulege who have gotten excellent emergency treatment at the clinica. It is doubtful that your U.S. insurance company would cover the costs of evacuation. A plan such as SkyMed is always prudent, especially if you have a pre-existing condition. Research the conditions under which SkyMed can be used. From Mulege, your local doctor must recommend evacuation and you may have to be transported by ambulance to Loreto, or even LaPaz for the pick up.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 01:35 AM

After 35 years in Loreto and Baja Sur, I have found the following:

I would never, I say Never call for any Medical Transportation out of Baja!!!!
They will leave you setting on the Tarmac for Hours, While they Broker your Emergency Flight.
I would not hesitate to go to any Clinic, Hospital in Baja Sur , knowing from Experience that I will be taken care of with "Compassion" something that is "Uncommon from Doctors in the States"!

In 1974 my Life was saved by the small Clinic in Loreto.
In 1992 The doctors at the General Hospital in Villa constitution saved my wife's life{She had only 4 Hours to Live}

The Soldiers and Sailors Hospital in La Paz , in my Opinion is an excellent Hospital.

Do not come to Baja with "Fear in your Mind". You will meet very go People- Compassinate, and Caring.

Live every Day as if it were your Last.

Skeet/Loreto

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.