Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Internet Telephony
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 12:51 PM
Internet Telephony

Where can I go to develop an understanding of Internet telephone concepts and usage, hardware and software needed to place and receive telephone calls in central Baja via a satellite Internec connection? What I really need is a top-down understanding on how it all works. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 01:08 PM
SKYPE ? ?

Hey Mike,

I'm not certain about the satellite portion... however if you have the internet hookup, regardless of wire, cable, or satelite, I think (although) I could be wrong... that you can use any of the services.

After messing with a couple, I settled on Skype:

http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html

the helloagain is due to the release of a new update version.

Skype is very intuitive, inexpensive, and has good tutorials. All you need in addition to your computer and internet connection is a headset (earphones with microphone).

I believe that it will work for you.... let me know if this isn't the case... I don't wish to give out incorrect info...

Best luck,
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 02:50 PM

go to the Skype website they have all the info you need. plus a forum if you need more . that is how I learned it.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 03:12 PM

The upload speeds of satellite internet services produce a delay in the conversations that is unacceptable to many users. I use Skype and Gismo (both are very similar) with great success but I'm on Telnor DSL. A neighbor was on DirecWay and found Skype not useable because of the delays. Believe Skype says must have a speed of at least 33kbs and DirecWay does not have that speed.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 03:25 PM
Thanks DJH et al

I just spoke directly with an actiontec technician. From what I learned I need hardware to interface the telephone hardware to my computer and the satellite dish. I also need the software to integrate the telephone system with the satellite. That's where Skype comes in. I think it's really similar to receiving a TV or an Internet signal, i.e. each system requires a dish to obtain a signal from a satellite, hardware and software as noted above. For the area in which I'll be using this equipment (Bahia de Los Angeles) I've been told most folks use Actiontec hardware. I just ordered the Actiontec Internet Phone Wizard fo $49.95. Now I have to choose the telephone service provider (which I think of as similar to the TV cable or satellite companies). The technician recommended Skype as they are free for at least the rest of this year.

Thanks for all your information.
Shimmer
Junior Nomad

Mood: In the Question

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 04:58 PM

I am in Todos Santos and my computer is running off a DSL signal which is being wirelessly sent to me. I have been using Skype and Gizmo for the last 6 months . I started with Skype then downloaded Gizmo as I was told it was safer... I now use both, as sometimes one will not work and the other will. I can call any one in the states for alittle over 1 cent per minute... land line or cell. I advise downloading both as both are free systems... with small charges to be able to call landlines or cells. There is a slight time lag but if the signal is strong it is insignificant and I can get my message across. I do let the other end know that I am speaking through my computer and to please let me know if there is a problem with the transmission.

Shimmer
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 05:20 PM

The wireless DSL is much faster than the DirecWay satellite service. That's what I have, fixed wireless DSL.

With Skype or Gizmo, all you need is a headset with microphone and earpieces that plugs right into your computer - and of course your connection to the internet.

You receive the Voip signals over your computer just like you do the Email and web pages.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Humfreville
I just spoke directly with an actiontec technician. From what I learned I need hardware to interface the telephone hardware to my computer and the satellite dish. I also need the software to integrate the telephone system with the satellite. That's where Skype comes in. I think it's really similar to receiving a TV or an Internet signal, i.e. each system requires a dish to obtain a signal from a satellite, hardware and software as noted above. For the area in which I'll be using this equipment (Bahia de Los Angeles) I've been told most folks use Actiontec hardware. I just ordered the Actiontec Internet Phone Wizard fo $49.95. Now I have to choose the telephone service provider (which I think of as similar to the TV cable or satellite companies). The technician recommended Skype as they are free for at least the rest of this year.

Thanks for all your information.

You didn't really need any phone hardware to use SKYPE or Gizmo. They are programs you download to your computer. You do need a microphone and a headset and that is all.

What they sold you is a phone that you will be hooking up to the computer, probably USB hookup, so you can use the phone they sold you. In that case you don't need the microphone or headset.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 06:42 PM

Satellite internet and the Skype and Vonage type services do not work together. You might get it to work for a bit...and the delay in voice and video will be huge. Your satellite provider also places limits on your acct for uploads and downloads - voice and video take up a huge chunk. This has nothing to do with using a wireless router within your own house/business and completely dependent upon your satellite INTERNET provider. We are using Starband (and love it...) but use the cell phone for calls.
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 06:52 PM
I have been using Netzero and direcway

since Nov. 2005 and have had good luck . Since direcway is all that we are able to get in Puertecitos---it works fine !!

Lou, I have been getting as much as 1.meg down and 200+ up on direcway !!!

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 07:02 PM

Good upload speed. That's usually the problem. Download has always been great.

No Bad Days

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 02:30 PM

Mike, we too tried skype with our satelite direct way internet setup and found that the delay was a pain in the keester. We would call people in the states and they would invariably hang up when they wouldn't hear us on the other end quick enough. It would go something like this, "Hello...Hello?.....CLICK.
You can have a stilted conversation once the person on the other end gets the hang of it, but it is not easy. Lots of cut off sentences and long pauses.
However, it is far better than nothing.
Good luck amigo! Tom

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
gpm414
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 09:40 PM

We are taking a directway system down this fall and plan to use it for internet and the occational call back home. Is there any difference in performance of skype when calling computer to computer or computer to telephone via directway?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 09:44 PM

Not really any difference gpm414. but computer to comuter you can also do a keyboard chat to fill in the blanks.

No Bad Days

BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 07:20 PM

Voice over Satellite

Hi All,

Coming into this topic a little late but hope to shed a little light on this...

First off, Voice Over IP (VOIP) will work over a DirecWay satellite Internet connection but you need to know the following:

- The basic satellite, equipment and service level most everyone uses in Baja for HughesNet (DirecWay) is too overloaded and wimpy to have enough bandwidth for good VOIP. The basic system doesn't even work well for web browsing but it's adequate. I would bet the other 'Nomads here who reported problems with VOIP have a basic system and service level, or else the system wasn't set up correctly.

- Even with the right equipment, satellite and service level, there will be a minimum 1/2 second delay in a VOIP conversation. No way around it. The HughesNet satellites are a little over 22,000 miles out in space. A round trip telephone conversation will travel at least 88,000 miles up and down from the satellite (2 trips). It's a little bit like cell phone delay, only more noticible. Most people can adapt to it pretty quickly.

No doubt. DSL is a better way to go but, for many of us in Baja, that's not an option. So we're left with satellite as the only Internet access, and VOIP as the only viable telephone system.

For VOIP, there are basically two kinds of services: "Soft phones" that use a computer, and telephone adaptors that do not.

Soft Phones work through your computer with a headset or wireless handset to place calls over the Internet. They're less demanding for bandwidth but more difficult for others to call you since your computer must be on. Some soft phone services like Skype also offer a wireless telephone and U.S. telephone number but they need the computer to be on in order to work.

Telephone adaptors allow you to plug in any standard telephone or fax, and get a U.S. telephone number. If someone calls you, your phone will ring, whether or not you even own a computer.

Both types of VOIP services will work over satellite, with the regular telephone adaptor services needing a better satellite connection and bandwidth.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 08:20 PM
VoIP via DirecWay

BCS is right on. The basic Direcway system @ $59.95 Monthly has a mediocre UPLOAD speed at times no better than a 33K Dialup. For normal Internet usage, this is not usually a problem since the upload requests are small. However, with the Vonage type of VoIP the data packets are delayed too long, resulting in scrambled data in addition to the usual Satellite delay. Skype and Crystal Voice are configured to work adequately with the Satellite system although the inherent delay associated with the roundtrip mileage to/from Space does create a noticeable speech delay. If you call Direcway, they will tell you that you can upgrade to the Business class service and they will guarantee a high enough upload speed to use the Vonage services. At $129.99 monthly, I don't make enough calls to justify it. Others might, but I doubt it.

Back when I first got Crystal Voice, I would try it on my Dialup line at home in the States and it performed better (delay-wise) than with the Basic Direcway.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 08:35 PM

we just got vontage...$20 a month

we have sat internet in Mulege and we'll give a report first time we use it.

the reasson we choose vontage is because we get a "real" phone that rings and a Los Angeles area phone number that will ring in Mulege...

also... we receive an answering service that sends an email when someone calls and leaves a message.

it might be slow but we can't be picky living in the booneys:yes:

report will follow later....
we might offer to call anyone that's interested so they can actually see the delay for themselves...

if we have to upgrade we probably will:?:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 09:43 PM
Buena Suerte

It will be interesting to see what your experience is.

When I first subscribed to DirecWay, I signed up for a "Vonage" type of service. Same technology and same adaptor. The service I signed up for was cheaper than the Vonage package at $14.95 monthly because it offered a limited number of minutes for the base rate (around 300, I believe) which was fine for me because I didn't need unlimited service. I, too, liked the idea of having a "real" telephone number and all of the ancillary services such as voicemail, call-waiting, etc.

I FOUGHT with that system for weeks, sending e-mails to both Direcway Tech support and the Telco provider. The symptom was basically one-way transmission. I could receive calls fine and the transmission from the far-end party was great, but MY transmission was broken-up and garbled. Finally, the telco support suggested I use an online service to check my Upload and Download speeds i.e. www.testmy.net. The result was the poor Upload speed. Once I had that information and contacted Direcway, they admitted the problem and suggested the premium service. The most irritating part of the whole affair was that Direcway KNEW what the problem was, but didn't tell me until I found out otherwise. A pretty common trait among Tech Support Venues.

Good Luck. I hope the system has improved.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 05:02 AM

Quote:
I could receive calls fine and the transmission from the far-end party was great, but MY transmission was broken-up and garbled. Finally, the telco support suggested I use an online service to check my Upload and Download speeds i.e. www.testmy.net. The result was the poor Upload speed.
MrBillM, spot on, that's the main problem in a nutshell.

It's DirecWay/HughesNet's policy not to support VOIP. I'm not sure most Level 1 techs at HughesNet (think India) really understand how to fix this. Otherwise, they would suggest something more than just changing service levels.

Changing service levels alone will not do it any more than changing lanes on a crowded freeway will make your car run better. The choke point is not the service level alone. It's the hardware and the satellite used in the basic HughesNet system in Baja. We have a modified HughesNet system running VOIP at the $69.99 Professional level and getting a consistent 190Kb upload speeds, but it uses upgraded equipment and it's on a different satellite.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.