BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wonderful Baja reptile/Amphibian guide!!
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 8-10-2006 at 02:10 PM
Wonderful Baja reptile/Amphibian guide!!

Hi all,

Just got a superb new reference guide to reptiles and amphibians for Baja and the isles in the Cortez sea. The title is Amphibians and Reptiles of Baja California by Lee Grismer, its put out by University of California press (www.ucpress.edu)
This seems to be the most complete guide out there with superb up to date info and outstanding colour pics, I got mine through Amazon. Baja has been called the poor mans Galapagos because of the huge number of totally unique insular endemic species, for all intents and puposes its almost an island now, in a few million years it WILL be an island! Who knows whether we will be around then or long since self destructed due to our own short sighted stupidity!:?:

--Astrobaja
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2006 at 02:20 PM

A million years from now? I know I won't be around. I'm not even sure about a year from now. Hope I make another ten or so---but that's it. I will be outta here after that.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 8-10-2006 at 03:21 PM

Thanks astrobaja!! Just what we need. We have a couple living in a rock pile in our yard and we have been debating how we will be able to build around them!!! We have named them Heribierto and Henrietta. Heribierta has more than doubled his size in the last 6 months. They love bananas and have been cleaning up the fallen mango's.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 8-10-2006 at 03:22 PM

Sorry about the pic ... he's the dot on the right. I guess he isn't as big as I thought:lol::lol::spingrin:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-10-2006 at 03:55 PM

We went to the Galapagos in June.
I would turn it around and flatly state that Galapagos is the Poor Man's Baja!!
Everyone who asked me how it was I answer, "Well, it was o.k..... but Baja is lots better."
And I have lots of examples to give to back that up.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2006 at 06:25 PM

Astro, just ordered a copy from Amazon. Thanks Here's a little story I penned about lizards.
Flowers? Again?

I'm old. I am not under oath. Don't press me on this. I do not remember where, when or how I learned about hypnotizing lizards. It could have been that one of the dirty-faced, shoeless members of my rag-tag platoon of future Florida "crackers" showed me or told me about this strange ritual. We spent every daylight hour exploring a swampy part of Broward County near our homes and we brushed up against more than our share of lizards, newts, "gators", turtles and snakes. I also got a chance, a time or two, to visit the tourist traps known as "Alligator Farms". At these rustic amusement centers, along the Tamiami Trail, "Alligator Alley ", I stood, with a little less amazement than the crowds of bug-bitten yokels ooing and gasping while some hungover, potbellied, sweaty Seminole Indian (or deranged Cubano) turned the toothy alligators on their backs, rubbed their shiny tummies and sent them to temporary dreamland. Even then I knew that the tummy rubbing was just for show.

It is a very old trick. Reptiles that spend most of their lives horizontal have little protective bone, muscle or tissue between the part of the brain directly behind and above the eyes, and the bony structure above.

If the animal is turned upside-down and pressure is applied to that sensitive spot, the simple and primitive portion of the brain which controls motor nerves, the reptile is incapable of movement. Respiration continues but is slowed as in aestivation. The eyes close but it cannot be said that "the animal is asleep"... it is simply unable to move. Obviously the trick works better with animals who spend most of their time on the ground or in a horizontal mode. Chameleons, anoles, live in tropical plants and eat, mate and scamper about on every surface of all the parts of the plants. The trick works least on these kinds of animals, able to walk about on the underside of things.

On a priceless, one-of-a-kind day, aboard a real yacht, slowly sightseeing the marinas around Newport Beach, California, I spotted a sleek sailing yacht. The name of this teakwood beauty, gold-leafed across the stern was "Comfortably Numb". I could imagine two or three old gentlemen, leathery skin and sun bleached hair, sitting comfortably on white canvas deck chairs on the afterdeck/salon/sun bridge/weather bridge (depending on the wind, temperature and humidity that hour), cold "Boodles" in hand, watching the sun go where suns have always gone, -- down (below the yardarm); becoming comfortably numb. The stuff retirement dreams are made of.

Retirement plopped me down on latitude 23N, right on the Tropic of Cancer in Mexico where I am very seldom numb but nearly always comfortable.

I am also surrounded by reptiles very like the ones I encountered in Florida. Just a few days ago, jeeping near the beach with one of my Mexican pals, Luis, I spotted and captured a very large Iguana. It was curiously different from any I had seen before. This animal was over a foot long and weighed almost two pounds. After we noted its spiny tail and fat, smooth body I showed Luis my lizard trick.

The pressure on the brain worked its magic and the iguana's eyes closed, his breathing slowed noticeable and he lay unmoving in Luis' hands. After a few minutes I put the lizard on the ground and we waited for it to regain its full capacities. In less than a minute he scurried off into the brush, none the worse for the experience. Luis queried me about the lizard not being harmed by the experiment and I explained, in my best Spanglish, that, although I had never witnessed a lizard flopping on his back to press his little head on a rock or stick for "juegos o diversi?n" as they say, I did not think they were adversely effected in any measurable way. Now that I think about it, this Iguana got a break in what normally passes for a life of, find a flower, eat it, poop. Do it again. (most land iguanas are herbivores)

Retirement is not all tea and crumpets. While I have captured the core of the business, returning to all the things I did when I was ten years old, this life of leisure has a downside.

With no income, save good ole Social Security, one must watch one's pennies. The day might come when I have no more money for booze. Calls for a little planning. For some time now I have been training myself to sleep on my stomach. The plan is devilishly simple -- over time I may lower my brain that silly millimeter necessary for the lizard trick. Without a dram of gin in the house, just before dinner, my wife Lynda can roll me on my back, a little pressure under the chin, my brain presses against my brain pan and I'll be "Comfortably Numb". Dreams come true. There is a God (even for lizards). I can only hope that occasionally she will (for old time's sake) rub my tummy.
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 05:43 AM

Hey Osprey I really liked your little vignette! You should consider compiling a collection of Baja short stories!
I'm gonna try giving your hypnotizing trick a go one of these days...

best

Mike
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 05:47 AM

Hi bajarunner,

I'm glad to hear you say that about Baja, my Wife said she got to explore the Galapagos many years ago (in the 70s) before it got regulated, now she says visitation is severly restricted. I can understand why they do it, people can be very destructive non-thinking creatures. I'd like to hear about some of your examples sometime!

cheers

Mike

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.