Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Wave Runners: Alaska to Miami
Shimmer
Junior Nomad

Mood: In the Question

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 03:56 PM

Outrageous....... that is the spirit of the "wild wild web". A simple positive action that makes the world a better place to be.......if that simple action was repeated, along their route, think of the support they would have.......without even asking.

Thanks for the post...... and the email south.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 11:10 PM

FINALLY!!!!!

A decent use for one of those machines!!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 04:59 AM
Taco

I walked by this post several times, thinking it was just a joke, and finally stopped in. Glad I did.

What an incrediable journey.

What's that stuff the surfers use for saddle sores--hope they have a lot of it.

Luck and more luck!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 10:28 AM

For something really impressive, look up the expoits of Verlen Kruger. He did two canoe expeditions, one padding 28,000 miles from the headwaters of the Missippi River to it's mouth, around Florida, up the east coast, up the Hudson river to the Great Lakes, up through Canada and Alaska and then down the Pacific, around Baja and finally up the Colorado River. His Second expedition he paddled with his wife from Inuvik NW Territories to Cape Horn a distance of 21,000 miles.

To top it off, he was well into his late 60's or early 70's when he did both expeditions and he didn't use any motors.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 03:12 PM
I just got this in my mailbox this morning.

****Well..... it looks like the crazy Africans will be here some time tomorrow afternoon. The offer of an Internet connection and barbecued steaks was too much to pass up. I will send photos and a complete report. I think this is going to be a lot of fun, thanks for passing along their story.****

When I get the report from my ex-pat friend, I'll pass it along.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 08:55 PM

So do ask them why they chose their end point please.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 10:19 PM
Another sea adventure book to check out----

----"Paddle to the Amazon" by Don starkell 1989.

Don is a controversial Canadian guy that paddled down the Mississippi from the very northern beginnings of the Mississippi to the Gulf, down the east coast of North America from the mouth of the Mississippi, along Mexico, Central America, and into South America, then up river (Orinoco??) from the North coast of South America to the cross over point to the upper Amazon, and down the Amazon.

It is a great read.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 10:11 AM

They hit San Carlos, Sonora yesterday. Here are posts from a guy who runs a local charter fish businsess and another guy.

"The Guys are Here, i just talked to them at the fuel dock, I'm lending them my car tonight so they can Enjoy SC. if You see the white Saturn with the catch-22 stickers On it flag it down Its Them Fri the 18th at 4:45."

"Let them into the dock at about 5:30AM. They're off for Los Mochis, but thought they'd try to fuel in Huatabampito, just west of Navajoa."

[Edited on 8-19-2006 by JZ]
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 01:52 PM
Good for them!

There biggest goal everyday seemed to get fuel and an early start. Photo from San Juanico last weekend:
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 01:54 PM
They said everyone they have met has been great!

The fishermen in San Juanico really got a kick out of them...they couldn't believe what they were doing!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 04:26 PM

They checked in with my buddy yesterday, and plan to be in Mazatlan tomorrow. Another update will be posted.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2006 at 05:12 PM

Picture from Marina San Carlos.

http://www.13000miles.com/images/uploads/Img_0221.jpg

(edited to leave link to image due to file resolution & size issues - Doug)

[Edited on 9-24-2006 by BajaNomad]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 12:48 PM
I finally got the report from my buddy in Mazatlan.

He had been reluctant to say very much because he had found it difficult to be positive about the whole thing.

When the pair arrived on the beach to meet him, they had a hole in one of the boats. Amazingly, they had NO patching material. My pal is an old Baja hand, and was able to provide them with state of the art tools and materials, but in the end they refused to delay their departure long enough to let the epoxy cure!! I was told that they did not have any suitable maps of the Mexican and Central American coast, and it came as a surprise to them that their next couple hundred miles was very remote.

Their intention was, according to them, to cross Central America through Nicaragua by traversing rivers and lakes! My friend explained as gently as he could that there was a very good geographic reason that there were locks on the Panama Canal.

Their research and preparation apparently was so poor that they had set out from Alaska in long johns and Gortex. (look at the picture with the iceberg!) It didn't take them long to realize they were likely to freeze to death and they returned north and bought dry suits.

As mentioned, they had no way to repair their hulls, and their tool kit was described as a Crecent wrench, a few end wrenches and a screwdriver or two.

I was told that it was possible to smell their sleeping bags from a goodly distance because of them having been soaked in dead fish juice during a night aboard a commercial fishing boat in the SOC. They declined the opportunity to launder them while waiting for the fiberglass repairs to cure, and leaving their beach campsite littered with trash were last seen heading south.

Interestingly, most Nomads wouldn't consider DRIVING down the highway in Baja so ill prepared. Although described as "nice guys", they have, so far, survived on determination, blind luck and the extreme generosity of strangers.

Overall a pretty amazing publicity stunt. I hope they don't put anyone in danger who might feel a responsibility to rescue their butts further down the line.

Bill Kauth

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 02:25 AM

I just read that the South Africans had had enough when the got to Panama. Apparently cruised around a little bit to offshore islands to make up enough milage to break the Australian record, and cruised into Panama City earlier this week claiming the new world record. I'd like some of their luck next time the weather kicks up when I'm on the SOC in my little tin boat!!! How do you spell cahones?:lol:

Bill Kauth

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 06:12 AM

Imagine another crew's already making plans to attempt the journey. A corporate sponsor ought to be easy to find.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.