BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Launching @100 lb. inflatable boat. Suggestions???
fossilnut

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 05:21 PM
Launching @100 lb. inflatable boat. Suggestions???

This will be our first trip to Baja after my husband's stroke a couple of years ago and I'll be doing all the chores. We'd like to bring along our @100 lb. inflatable boat probably with our lightest outboard (Sears 3 HP). But launching the boat even at 100 lbs., can be a real hassle for me. Any suggestions? We're thinking about getting some beach wheels (Wheel-a-Weigh or ?) or maybe try to put together some wheels ourselves. Any suggestions? And will wheels actually help to launch the boat?

Thanks!

Sandy
RonnieRockCod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 06:48 PM

Sandy, I used Wheel-A-Weigh on my fourteen foot Valco for over fifteen years in Baja. They are outstanding. ($145+tx, West Marine) If you go West Marine look at Boat Dolly ($55+) and Dinghy Dolly ($110+) but with a critical eye. If you decide to do-it-yourself stay away from the hard rubber lawn mower types as they will bog down in the sand. Go inflatable if possible.

Good luck and please post a trip report and let us know what you choose and how your trip went. RRC.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 07:57 PM
The "wheels" are great------

----but at 100 lbs it should be no problem just dragging it over the sand if there is nothing sharp in the way.

If there are sharp things around, just pull the boat on to a heavy tarp and then drag the tarp back and forth between the vehicle and the water. We used to do this all the time with our AVONs and ZODIAC's--------they are really tough!!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 08:15 PM

Barry she makes the point she will be doing it solo I think.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 08:56 PM
Comi----

I did pick up on that, but unless she is really petite, there should be no problem dragging a 100 lb boat, I am thinking.

Anyway, the wheels are probably the best answer, as you guys say. I use the Eide dual wheels (four inflatable wheels on the ground) for my 14 Foot Gregor with motor and gasoline on board with no problem pulling it by myself.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 05:55 AM

actually 100 pounds isn't all that heavy with two people....

drive it to the water then ... drag it...

the motor will be the heavy part...they are odd sized....and flop all around whrn you try to mount them on the transom.

that 3 hp is kind'a small...bring lots of sheer pins for the prop

seems like ours always brake in the WRONG spot and time and they are not to readly available.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 10:02 AM
Getting to the Water

I've got a couple of Inflatables, the largest being a 10 ft West Marine with a folding wooden floor so it's fairly heavy, and we always take it to the water's edge deflated. We then place it on one of numerous Poly Tarps I've packed with the boat. Of course, even with the boat deflated, you'd probably need something to get it to the water, but It's a lot easier to handle packed in the bag.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 10:44 AM

How easy it is depends on how steep the beach is and how soft the sand is. I use the Baja Expeditions wheels (I believe they are 9 or 10 inches) on my 14" Gregor, and can pull it up easily on hard, low angle sand. On steeper soft sand such as at Los Frailes, I have a hard time, I end up using the winch on my truck which does a great job.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.