Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Truck Stolen
bajablue
Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 8-20-2006 at 10:19 PM
Truck Stolen

I just got news that a buddy of mine had his new Grey Suburban stolen today at the beach at "La Mission". He had rented a house near by for a week and took the family down to the beach and I guess someone liked his brand new loaded Suburban better than he did :(. While he was on the beach, he just happened to look back and see someone driving off in his truck.. His first time bringing the whole family down to baja, so he is disappointed to say the least. He realizes it could happen anywhere, but that doesn't change things when you are on vacation with the family. Anyone else here of any other shady things in that area?...
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2006 at 10:31 PM

wow, I just now started to read all the other post about other robberies and problems in that area. what a shame. I hope law enforcement is starting to be practive on this...
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajablue
I just got news that a buddy of mine had his new Grey Suburban stolen today at the beach at "La Mission". He had rented a house near by for a week and took the family down to the beach and I guess someone liked his brand new loaded Suburban better than he did :(. While he was on the beach, he just happened to look back and see someone driving off in his truck.. His first time bringing the whole family down to baja, so he is disappointed to say the least. He realizes it could happen anywhere, but that doesn't change things when you are on vacation with the family. Anyone else here of any other shady things in that area?...

can you tell us exactly where this happened? there many areas that have a "La Mission". including here in Mulege.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
can you tell us exactly where this happened? there many areas that have a "La Mission".
Bruce, I'm fairly certain they are referring to the La Mision that is just south of Puerto Nuevo and north of La Salina/Bajamar.

As alluded to, there are many troubling reports of crime along the coast and toll-highway in this area at the moment.

Regards,
--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 07:17 AM

Bruce, Doug is correct. It was in the area just South of Puerto Nuevo. Cross your fingers, I am heading there today :O
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 08:25 AM
Robbers

I earlier related a "Smash and Grab" that a friend of mine suffered in this same area earlier in the year. He was heading down to see the Whales and got started later than anticipated. Against his own rules and judgement, he went ahead, crossing the border after dark. He pulled over later to catch some Zs in the camper and two or more thugs smashed in the driver side window of his 2004 Dodge and made off with over a thousand dollars in Cameras, Radios and other gear. They were almost out of sight by the time he got out of his camper. He was later told that this was a common occurrence after dark.

As common as these problems seemed to have become, they are just as common in about any town that you can name here in the U.S., even Yucca Valley. Rather than being a Mexican problem, it is unfortunately, a universal societal problem.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 08:43 AM

"As common as these problems seemed to have become, they are just as common in about any town that you can name here in the U.S."

I heartily disagree. In San Diego, it is common knowledge that Zoners (trailer trash from Arizona wanting to beat the heat) and cheap Canadians (and others of course) park their trailers all over our city streets, essentially living in them, for months at a time. If they happen to get a ticket, they rationalize that it's cheaper than an RV park. They are never bothered or victimized.
I've traveled a great deal, pulled off on a dirt road, both in Mexico and the US, either to pitch a tent or sleep inside the car for a few hours of needed sleep and have never had a problem.
Smashing someone's car window, robbery and theft is just as alarming and wrong as it always was and always will be. What's worse is that the local police is probably involved as well, and that these crimes will go unpunished.
Boycott Baja - demand justice.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 09:13 AM
Not in San Diego ?

I have a feeling that official Crime Statistics for San Diego would probably indicate a fair number of vehicle thefts, burglaries, etc.

Additionally, from my own intimate knowledge of the greater San Diego area, I am familiar with areas of that fair city where you would be GUARANTEED to encounter misfortune after dark.

I, too, have never suffered a vehicle loss or break in, either in the U.S. or Mexico, but that doesn't change the fact that they are occurring.

I do agree with the fact that the police in Mexico are likely to be a part of the problem and not the solution. At least, in the U.S., you can trust the police (well, more or less) to be working on your side.

[Edited on 8-21-2006 by MrBillM]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 09:33 AM
It makes me sad (and angry) to admit this--------

---------but I just checked the "Police blotter" section of the daily paper here in little, peaceful (?) Redding, California (north end of the Sacramento Valley) and was appalled at the number of car break-ins---------like 13 over the weekend, however it is interesting that they mostly occurred in what we call "the poorer" part of town.

As far as I know, we have never had one in my neighborhood, which I find peculiar. (of course there are 3 retired cops living in my cul-de-sac, and many know that, as we are rather obnoxious and routinely kick unwanted "visitors" (reads low-lifes) out of our neighborhood.)

The "takes" reflected by MrBillM and others I have agree with----it is happening all over.

Now having admitted that, I am still now more nervous in Mexico of these types of things for all the reasons that have been laid out before, many, many times-------and because "it is not my home turf". I never used to feel that way (prior to 10 years, or so, ago)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I have a feeling that official Crime Statistics for San Diego would probably indicate a fair number of vehicle thefts, burglaries, etc.

Additionally, from my own intimate knowledge of the greater San Diego area, I am familiar with areas of that fair city where you would be GUARANTEED to encounter misfortune after dark.

I, too, have never suffered a vehicle loss or break in, either in the U.S. or Mexico, but that doesn't change the fact that they are occurring.

I do agree with the fact that the police in Mexico are likely to be a part of the problem and not the solution. At least, in the U.S., you can trust the police (well, more or less) to be working on your side.

Just the police blotter for our little town south of San Diego is not a pretty picture.

It is an awful feeling to have a vehicle stolen---had one stolen in Guatemala in front of three security guards who saw nothing. :fire:

But, our son also had one stolen in front of his home in Oceanside, and just a couple of months ago, our neighbor ran someone out of our truck and chased him. We also had friends who live in Baja have their vehicle stolen from a Wal-Mart Parking lot when they came to the states to shop.

It can and does happen everywhere, but it is just an awful feeling. I can't imagine seeing the theif driving off.

Good luck to your friend.

Diane

[Edited on 8-22-2006 by jdtrotter]

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 01:17 PM

I just checked the crime statistics for the city of San Diego to see what they looked like and it is pretty scary stuff. From January to June 2006 there were 6,619 auto thefts. That is well over one thousand per month! 135 of those were in upscale La Jolla, so this kind of thing is going to happen no matter where you are. Granted, the population is higher here in San Diego, so obviously the numbers reflect that.

Here is the document so you can see for yourself:

http://www.sandiego.gov/police/pdf/actualjanjune2006.pdf

Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 02:25 PM
A little removed from Baja but

Back in the nintys when the US was working on NAFTA they changed the way you entered Sonora. You needed a drivers licience, a credit card and vehicle registration, and they all had to match. This I was told was Mexicos solution to the many stolen vehicles brought to Nogales for remanufacture. BUT!! They had to move the port of entry for all this paper work down to K21. When I asked the reason for all this change, I was told the first day they inforced the new rules at the truck crossing west of town, there were 6000 abandoned stolen vehicles. Well Mexicans being the resorceful people they are, they just moved the crossing stuff 12 miles inland thus leaving the chop shops intact to continue the vehicle remanufacturing economy. Side note about NFTA In 1985 when I crossed at the truck crossing there were about 100 trucks on the US side waiting for the 6am gate to open to enter Mexico. When I returned this May from Kino there were about 8000 trucks parked two and three wide waiting to cross into the US. The line was several miles long. Many vendors selling food to the truckers waiting two to three days to cross.:cool: Thankful someones out there tending the garden.:yes:
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 03:11 PM
By the way

At this writing eveything has changed. You do not need a drivers licence, nor credit card nor vehicle registration. All ya need is twenty bucks at point on destination.:cool: Well almost everything. Something like 10,000 vehicles a day scheduled for remanufacture. :cool: How do they do it all???

[Edited on 8-22-2006 by Sonora Wind]
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 03:23 PM
Sonora Wind

Nice to hear from you now and again--With the trucks it is the same thing at Otay Mesa except people really do not see them.

Since the 60's the auto theft problem in San Diego has been heavily impacted by those going south into Baja and in more and more cases all the way to Latin America.

You can even special order the vehicle you wish to purchase and the thiefs will deliver your desire right down to the pinstripes and wheel types.

They used to ride the Trolley up but now that involves far too much time for a good thief to waste. One vehicle, four guys to Mission Valley and three stolen cars back across the border before anyone can report them.

A lot of those from La Jolla and other upscale locations involve a scout noting locations and when the vehicles will normally be available for stealing. This is done in much the same manner as Mission Valley except it takes a lot more time to go from location to location--but they are assured that the right vehicle will be available for transfer into Baja.

Chop shops ring TJ where they provide everything necessary to make it a legal vehicle anywhere. A while back our Mexican Liaison Officer showed me where three were in the hills between TJ and Rosarito.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 03:37 PM
Hey Bernie

If anyone would know the drill, it would you. Guess you've seen it all. Hope you are well. Keep writing. I always enjoy your words:cool:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 04:22 PM

Living here in Imperial Beach, you can imagine how fast a stolen car zooms across the border. :yes:

Several years ago we were in Belize and the news stations were telling all the people to keep their good cars home for a few days the next week. There was a delegation from Texas coming down to investigate reports that lots of cars stolen from Texas end up in Belize. :tumble:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.