Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
would 94 be the best route to get to tecate from the orange county area? on a map it looks like it is about 40 miles from the 5 in san diego to tecate.
baja bernie: the barrett cafe sounds like a good idea. is it easy to spot?

To get to 94 and avoid San Diego:

I-5 to I-805 to Hwy. 52 east past Santee where it turns into Hwy. 125 south to Hwy. 94 east... all freeway! Do not go near the area between 3:30 and 6:30 weekdays!

Certainly this is a much longer route, timewise and mileagewise, than if you left the 5-805 split and continued through to San Ysidro, no? Assuming similar traffic on both routes, of course.

I cant see the advantage headed south if you are going below, say, La Mision. Except, of course, toll avoidance of two stations. Or maybe the potential police mordida avoidance thru TJ? The toll road is pretty darn quick.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:10 PM

He wanted to get to Tecate...

I personally never drive all the way east to Tecate, just to end up back west in Ensenada! Unless I am going to Antonio's home or business (which is close to Otay), I cross at San Ysidro and head for the toll road via the border fence route.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 11:30 AM

Report:

It took less than 20 minutes to travel from Popotla to the TJ-Tecate toll gate entrance, the Eastern terminus of B2000. An additional 10 minutes back West on Industrial to the Otay border crossing. All 4 lane and no detours.

dave: if it is only about 10 minutes from the otay border to the b2000, wouldn't it be an easy route to completely bypass tijuana? the drive from san ysidro to the first toll can be challanging! other than on/off ramps not complete, is there another reason you don't recommend this route unless coming from the east?
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 03:24 PM
huh?

Yeah Dave, I'm with Fandango. If I can get to the Otay crossing from Calafia in 30 minutes, why would I want TJ crossing. I have Sentri and sometimes the S.Y. crossing sucks.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
dave: if it is only about 10 minutes from the otay border to the b2000, wouldn't it be an easy route to completely bypass tijuana? the drive from san ysidro to the first toll can be challanging! other than on/off ramps not complete, is there another reason you don't recommend this route unless coming from the east?

Because:

When headed South from SoCal, time from SY via the cuota or Otay via B2000 is the same, and SY is a whole lot less miles. PLUS the additional miles just to get to Otay from 5 or 805.

Northbound the same logic applies. Once you get to Otay you would still need to drive back to the 805 or 5. If traveling to Arizona or points East, B2000 makes sense because the terminus is at the toll road to Tecate. 15-20 minutes more and you would be at the Tecate crossing.

Another consideration is that there is not yet a connection from the cuota to B2000. Southbound would put you on the free road for 6-7 miles. Northbound traffic would need to exit the cuota at the Puerto Nuevo exit. That can add an additional 10-15 minutes.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Yeah Dave, I'm with Fandango. If I can get to the Otay crossing from Calafia in 30 minutes, why would I want TJ crossing. I have Sentri and sometimes the S.Y. crossing sucks.

For Sentri I agree. MUCH easier to get to the Sentri lanes at Otay

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.