BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why did we get sent to secondary?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

puzzled.gif posted on 12-5-2003 at 06:39 PM
Why did we get sent to secondary?

We trailered and imported some fence on Monday.

On the way back the US Customs guard sent us to secondary.

The truck and trailer were both empty and we told him what we did during the day.

This is our first trip to secondary. No problems.

Why do you think they sent us?:?::?:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 06:53 PM

Probably just the luck of the draw! No big deal. Happens to the best of us and the worst of us!...."El Mochilero"
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2003 at 08:32 PM

I've been through secondary maybe three times in hundreds of crossings over the last ~50 years. I never understood why I was sent and we never had anything that was prohibited. But you must have set off an alarm, either by your prior paperwork or your configuration coming back across. The last thing I would worry about is that you did something to cause it. Even if you did, it was in innocence. Other than the delay time, I enjoy getting tagged. You get to talk to the inspectors there and see how the process is changing. Glad you got your chores accomplished.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2003 at 03:35 PM

You'd think you could avoid it with the SENTRI pass, but no, passholders are subject to random selection for secondary inspection. I was told that the computer does the random selecting. That being said, the few times I've been to secondary, pre and post-SENTRI pass, I've never actually been "inspected." It's more of a Q&A session with the customs guys. The last time it was "hey, how do you like your truck?", "What kinda mileage does it get?" and "How's it handle off road?"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-6-2003 at 04:59 PM

DanO

Thats just what we talked about.

They kinda acted like Why these guys??

No actuat inspection. Just a look.

It was just weird.:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-6-2003 at 06:52 PM

I get sent to secondary all the time....especially when I used to travel in the bus. the key is to just be nice and have a good time. Don't take it personally it's just their job. The best time we had was about 6 years ago when they sent us to secondary. The guy asked if there was anything he should know about that was on the bus. I explained that we were licensed Pyro's and blasters so we were carrying various chemicals for the manufacture of fireworks and explosives. Well he just about raised his eyebrows right off his head. I explained that each chemical was plainly marked and I produced all the documentation and references for the two major companies I worked for at the time (fireworks by grucci and Mayer fireworks).
Any one who does this for a living knows that just about all the oxidizers used are fine white powders and we had many kilos of them, potassium nitrate, potassium chlorate, potassium perchlorate, barium nitrate, strontium nitrate ect ect. well when I showed them the first crate and they opened it up he just about pooped his pants. Over the next 6 hours we set up lawn chairs on the side of the inspection area as they meticulously tore apart the bus and tested every single chemical we had. there were over 6 customs, drug enforcement and BATF guys working with us. The key here was that we were honest, upfront, super polite and generally had a very good time with them and they with us. When all was done and we were thoroughly checked out we said our good byes and had a great chuckle. I never once hassled them or derided them for just doing their job.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Beware of Instant Friends

[*] posted on 12-7-2003 at 12:32 AM

Why not declare your freight before hand so thay have a clue?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
I get sent to secondary all the time....especially when I used to travel in the bus. the key is to just be nice and have a good time. Don't take it personally it's just their job. The best time we had was about 6 years ago when they sent us to secondary. The guy asked if there was anything he should know about that was on the bus. I explained that we were licensed Pyro's and blasters so we were carrying various chemicals for the manufacture of fireworks and explosives. Well he just about raised his eyebrows right off his head. I explained that each chemical was plainly marked and I produced all the documentation and references for the two major companies I worked for at the time (fireworks by grucci and Mayer fireworks).
Any one who does this for a living knows that just about all the oxidizers used are fine white powders and we had many kilos of them, potassium nitrate, potassium chlorate, potassium perchlorate, barium nitrate, strontium nitrate ect ect. well when I showed them the first crate and they opened it up he just about pooped his pants. Over the next 6 hours we set up lawn chairs on the side of the inspection area as they meticulously tore apart the bus and tested every single chemical we had. there were over 6 customs, drug enforcement and BATF guys working with us. The key here was that we were honest, upfront, super polite and generally had a very good time with them and they with us. When all was done and we were thoroughly checked out we said our good byes and had a great chuckle. I never once hassled them or derided them for just doing their job.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-7-2003 at 07:08 AM

re-read the post I did declare all before the inspector even stepped on the bus?

better cut down on the oxycotin.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-7-2003 at 07:41 AM
Secondary U.S. inspection

I still remember the only time I got sent for inspection at Tecate. The inspector asked, "anything to declare"? And I responded, "just what I took into Baja"
(was a dumb thing to say, now that I reflect on it) And I got sent to be inspected. Was a cup of tea, quick, and they found nothing, and we were on our way in about ten minutes.
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2003 at 10:47 AM
It pays to be nice!

My only experience with secondary inspection as a college student reminded me once again why my parents taught me the importance of being nice...

When asked why I was in Mexico, my reply was, "To buy some Cuban folk music."

Agent: "Why did you come to Mexico to buy it?"

Me: "Oh, I don't know, maybe something to do with there being more of a selection of Spanish language music in a Spanish speaking country and lower prices to boot!"

Agent: "May I see the records you bought?"

Me: "Sure!"

Agent: "It says Puerto Rico on the cover, I thought you said you were buying Cuban Music?"

Me: "Well, if you payed any attention in the Spanish classes you must have had to take to get this job, you would know that de is a preposition that means of or from. Since the full title is Son de Cuba a Puerto Rico, it would clearly identify the content as being of or from Cuba which would make it instrisically Cuban. Any more silly questions?"

Needless to say the angry agent slammed a number on my hood and waved me over to Secondary where I had to wait for more than 4 hours before they even began searching my vehicle. They spent another 2 hours searching it before allowing me to leave.

While I still believe her line of questioning to be pointless and silly, I have learned to bite my tougue and answer such questions politely and to remain nice. I've never been back to secondary since (100's of crossings).
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2003 at 01:03 PM

One thing that will get you sent to secondary is being vague or unsure in your answer. Several years ago when I was crossing I was asked what I was bringing across and I said 2 or 3 Tecate beers. Off to secondary I go. The guy there looked at the slip on my windshield and ask if I knew why I was sent there. I said no. He said because I was vague in my answer. He said always be exact even if you don't know. Say 2 or say 3 not 2 or 3. Today I'm very specfic. I also haven't been to secondary in probably 7 or 8 years or more.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2003 at 06:35 PM

I have a friend, a New York wise guy wannabe who loves giving the guards a hard time. He's been sent to secondary often, sometimes for nothing more than a goofy smile.

Once he was riding with me and as we approached the gate I warned him about keeping his big mouth shut as I had a lot to do and little time to do it. So what does he say when the guard asks, "where will you be going today"?

"We're going to your house to have lunch with your wife", he says.

The guard, without blinking an eye says," Boy are you in for a surprise, his name is Bill....have a nice day!"

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 12-9-2003 at 02:53 PM
I';ve been sent to secondary too

I was trailering a kayak trailer in a pick up with a camper shell. they wanted to check the closed trailer to see if I had any riders aboard, know what I mean?
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 10:46 AM

We went to Rosarito in a rental truck one day to buy furniture for our own personal use. Coming back about midnight, exhausted, the truck was packed about so tight you couldn't have gotten a kleenex in there, and we got sent to secondary. This was a huge groaner because we were so exhausted. The customs agent opened up the back, saw what a nightmare it was going to be to unload all that furniture and inspect it, slammed the door shut and said, "You're cleared to go." There is a God.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.