Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 8/20/06 Attempted Robbery. Tom's Story
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 11:41 PM
8/20/06 Attempted Robbery. Tom's Story

I'm, sorry this turns out to be the first e-mail I send you, but its important to me that you get this information before you go back to Baja! Before I go on, know me and my family are at home and all are fine. Most likely you have heard from Bedman or Frank O. by now but if you haven't; here it is.

Returning from Baja with my wife both kids and our dog, towing a flat bed trailer with my Rhino and quad We were Attacked during an attempted Car Jacking. This took place Sunday 8/20/06 @ 3:00 A.M. on the toll road approximately 25 miles from the boarder. I was shot through the door of our Expedition in my left leg by what I latter learned at the border was a 9mil round. The Boarder agents recovered the intact slug from my floor board. It had passed through the door and through my left leg and fell to the floor. This was intended to be a body shot on me as I evaded them. Our attackers were in two trucks, one a new White Toyota possibly a Tundra and an older beater Blue Toyota.

I was traveling toward the boarder maybe 50 miles and hour taking it easy when what initially appeared to be a drunk, driving the white Toyota passed me after pulling up next to me. I kept my distance when he slowed to a crawl and stopped. At the point he stopped I came to a stop 50 feet behind him and immediately through my truck in reverse knowing I had a problem. As I backed up at a fast pace I looked in my left mirror and saw the blue Toyota coming from my left at may be 15 or 20 mile an hour, as we passed in opposite directions the passenger in the truck to my left fired one round through my door by the grace of god missing my family and my body and striking me in the leg. The driver of the white Toyota realized he had screwed up leaving too much distance between himself and my truck reversed backward at a high rate of speed. The truck on my left with the shooter both had their eyes on me and did not see their buddy backing up and collided with each other giving me the vital seconds to pass them on the left and run for the boarder.

As I raced toward the boarder at speeds of over 90 miles and hour, the truck with the shooter pursued us firing on us at least 3 more rounds. I was able to use the Trailer as a shield and a weapon as I straddled the middle of the road. when they attempted to pass on either side I swung the trailer at them striking them at least 4 maybe 5 times. After they realized they could not pull up beside me and shoot they tried to ram the trailer and send me out of control , at one point they even turned their head lights off in an attempt to fool me into slowing down. On there final attempt to pass me on the right I swung the trailer at the so hard the collision caused the right front trailer axle and hub to snap off leaving me one right wheel and a fender pinned to the remaining tire. I know when this occurred because I now could only reach a speed of 80 mile an hour. This pursuit lasted what at the time seamed for ever, But after reflecting on it and looking at the map It lasted only 3-5 miles.

At the point they shot at me I knew the only safe place for my family was with the armed American Border Agents. Knowing this, right before the Two remaining toll booths between me and the boarder I slowed to a normal rate of speed and paid my toll and put the hammer down as soon as the gate swung up. After I passed the last remaining toll both between us and the boarder I had to go through the last check point now manned by the federal Mexican police. If I had to stop this was the only place that might have afforded my family protection. but I did not have to test this theory as they did not even look at me and waved me right through. I sped through town and pulled right across the Yellow line and called for help! I have all ways disliked dealing with the boarder agents because of what I perceived to be bad attitudes. This is what I now know is the nature of their job in dealing with the violent and crazy things that happen at the boarder. I was never so happy to see them!

After the safety and health of my family were secured I received incredible help from the paramedics and the firemen responding to the call at the boarder. The firemen even offering to help Diane store our battered trailer at their fire station and helping after their shifts we over @7:30 AM. This was not nesseccary as Frank came to our aide and postpone work to come and get Diane with our trailer storing it at his house. I pointed out to my family that in a matter of hours we had witnessed the most Evil that humanity had to offer But also the Best.

So, the most important lesson's that were learned 50 years and more ago by the first surfers and adventures traveling to Baja still apply today and are even more important considering the level of violence that you expose your family and fellow travelers to Today.

1. Do not travel alone. (caravan with 2 or more vehicles)
2. Do not travel at night.
3. Be prepared for anything as the nature of Today's Banditos is pure Evil.

After being made aware of recent accounts of similar incidents I suspect American gang members and affiliated Mexican gangs of this activity. They are systematical hunting for victims on this stretch of what I would have considered to be a relatively safe section of road before my families encounter.

I will not be driven from the Baja I love by this one incident but I will follow the simple rules and beg all my good friends and fellow Baja travelers to do the same. This could of happened anywhere including the US. But currently it is more likely to happen across the boarder. We started going to our little piece of paradise in Baja for the incredible beauty, good fishing and adventure it gave us, We will brave going back for what I Consider Life long friends that share our love of the freedom Baja has to offer.

In closing I would like to point out 2 fatal mistakes our attackers made .

1. Don't try this crap on a Red neck county boy!
2. Don't hunt Grizzly Bear with a Squirrel gun!

Give your family our love.

Tom
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:48 AM
Good man Tom

Kudos for your quick thinking and perserverence in a time of life and death! You are certainly making me rethink my driving schedule. Thanks for taking the time to share your horrific experience. Corky

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajawife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:33 AM

So glad that you and your family are ok. Hopefully your kids were asleep at that hour and didn't have to witness too much. God Bless.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:40 AM

I'm so sorry for your horrible experience tom and very glad you survived to tell us about it...and I do think we need to rethink all our travel plans with all these violent reports this week. As much as I dislike the idea of caravaning, perhaps we Nomads should pull together and help each other out with travel companion arrangements whenever possible. Although my husband mentioned to me to never divulge when you may be travelling...hmmm...we need to go to San Diego the 3rd week of September for an airport pickup then back again...anyone else planning to go north around this time please U2U me with dates and maybe we can go together. Perhaps the travel companion section will become more active?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 09:03 AM
Tom (Bedman ?)--------

I applaud you for your quick thinking and presence of mind, and for your raw courage in defeating these determined sick parasites----------------a truly remarkable and sobering story-------------and you certainly left "your mark" on them. :yes:

Thank you for posting, and for your very realistic advice.

The whole thing makes me feel really furious!!! :fire:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 10:13 AM

First off, I'd just like to say that I completely believe Tom's story. Always did; the likelihood of someone making this up for some unfathomable motive is much less than it actually happening.

The one thing that really gives me cause for concern is what we might deduce of the motive of the perps. It seems clear to me that IF this was a simple vehicular hijacking or robbery, they were taking unbelieveable risks with the valuables they hoped to gain. To shoot at a moving car traveling at high rates of speed and to continually challenge the vehicle after having been hit more than once by the trailer tells me one of two things: these people were seriously high on methamphetamines OR it is a planned attempt at intimidation of people with American plates OR both.

I am falling more into the camp that many of these incidents, including the incredibly sad story of the death of Raquel Fife, may indeed be part of some retribution for the capture of Arellano Felix.

These recents occurances are very chilling.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 10:26 AM

Glad you made it safely and kept your wits about you but surely wish the dirtbags trucks would have exploded when they hit each other sending them strait to hell. The authorities better get their heads out of you know where and start dealing with the problem but unfortunately I'm thinking that they are the problem.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:22 PM

Really happy that you and your family are safe and well. It had to be a really terrifying experience.

Many stories about Mexico we write off as fear mongering---but not what is happening now. Our next trip was going to be in October, but as I wrote in an e-mail to the Sec. of Tourism, unless something is done, we may not go.

Take care of your leg!

Diane

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 01:44 PM
Not Good!!!

Tom,

I am very sorry for what happened to you my friend... I hope your leg heals quickly.

For everyone to know... in Baja, our version of 911 is 066... it works along the paid toll road and also from any cell.... for tourist assistance 078, and they can patch you through to 066.

On the other hand Tom, the person in charge for anything happening on the toll road (The General Director) is a personal friend of mine... I will let him know... maybe he can do something to have better security on that area... not sure what... but he may be able to do something.... Would you like to meet with him next time you are down here?, so you may expose yourself what happened to you?

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 01:52 PM

Tom is one tuff dude! Those road punks picked-on the wrong tourists. Tom did right. This fellow redneck is proud of him and wish him a speedy recovery from his wound.
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:11 PM

I am the Tom in bedman's post. I am Enraged and saddened not only by what my family went through but the on going Story of Raquel and Larry.

I fear these are the same scum bag's that attacked my family.

As fellow Baja traveler's we must band together not only to protect each other, but to force people in power to restore order on the road's of Baja!

Any Ideas? :fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RockhouseTom
I am the Tom in bedman's post. I am Enraged and saddened not only by what my family went through but the on going Story of Raquel and Larry.

I fear these are the same scum bag's that attacked my family.

As fellow Baja traveler's we must band together not only to protect each other, but to force people in power to restore order on the road's of Baja!

Any Ideas? :fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

For starters, it will be interesting to see if any of us get a response to our e-mails to the tourist people. I am hopeful. Not so long ago there were lots of problems on Highway 200 along the coast on the mainland of Mexico, it was stopped. Not good for especially the RV business.

As Baja Cactus said in his post, he is going to contact people he knows----IMHO, it is all about applying pressure, over and over again.

Someone suggested a temporary boycott---I don't think that is a bad idea, but it would need lots of publicity.

Hope your leg is healing quickly---probably faster than the emotional scars you and your family suffered.

Diane

[Edited on 8-23-2006 by jdtrotter]

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 05:06 PM

WHEN YOU OUTLAW GUNS, ONLY THE OUTLAWS HAVE GUNS! and this is the way it progresses!!!! We are soft targets to the gang bangers. They know there is a very small chance that someone will confront them (police?) and they could just as easily fire on them. I don't carry a firearm in the U.S. although I have several, but I would love to on the road in Baja. Too bad that I'm a "law abiding " citizen. Otherwise I would love to confront these punks." Suprise! you thought you were the only one armed?"
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 06:04 PM

Phil...That's what I like about Washington state...background check and then it's time to arm. I'd rather be in front of a judge then 6 feet under.
Just as your first sentence states.:tumble:
Smith and Wesson take care of it.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 09:32 PM
Secretary of Tourism...

Tom...

Today, after reading your story, I took the liberty of informing the situation to Lic. Hector Rosas, the new Delegate at the Secretary of Tourism in Ensenada. He inmediately sent some e-mails to the appropiate Government Agencies. Here are the e-mails in Spanish... (sorry for not translating them but I am in the middle of preparing a trip to El Rosario, I am leaving tomorrow morning... perhaps someone could help translate):

----- My e-mail ------------------------------------------------------------

To: hrosas@baja.gob.mx
cc: gshimomoto@baja.gob.mx
08/23/2006 13:55
Subject: Preocupante...

Hola Hector,

Esto acaba de ser puesto en Internet y me preocupa. Este tipo de situaciones nos afectan a todos de forma muy negativa.

Revisa por favor http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18869

Conozco a la persona que puso esta informacion y es una persona muy seria. El afectado ha estado tratando de comunicarse a la Secretaria de Turismo pero no ha tenido respuesta.

A ver que pueden hacer.

Si en algo puedo ayudar solo diganme.

Gracias y Saludos.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Donde la Baja es mucho mas que un sueno..."

---- His reply ----------------------------------------------------------

To: info@bajacactus.com
CC: barrerajc@state.gov, amartineze@baja.gob.mx, assistance@baja.gob.mx
Received: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:15:59
Subject: Re: Preocupante...

Buenas tardes Antonio

Primeramente agradecerte que hayas hecho de nuestro conocimiento este lamentable incidente, del cual estoy marcando copia al Departamento de Asistencia del Consulado General de EE.UU. en Tijuana, B.C., y a la Subdirecci?n de Facilitaci?n y Asistencia al Visitante de la SECTURE para
darle seguimiento y tomar las medidas y acciones necesarias.

Como bien comentas, son incidentes que nos afectan mucho en afluencia e imagen y sobre todo en la presepci?n de seguridad al viajar a Baja California.

Estaremos atentos de las investigaciones. Nuevamente gracias y quedamos a tus ?rdenes.

H?ctor Rosas
Delegado
Secretar?a de Turismo del Estado
Ensenada, B.C. Mexico
Tel: 646) 172.3022 Fax: 646) 172.3081
www.descubrebajacalifornia.com
www.enjoyensenada.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I leave Tijuana tomorrow, I will stop by the offices of CAPUFE (Caminos y Puentes Federales, they run the toll road) in Rosarito, and I will talk to my friend there. Let us see what he can do.

Tom, the Secretary of Tourism asked me if you can provide them with your full name and phone number, so they may keep you informed. You can e-mail or U2U me the info if you want and I will give it to them and/or you can e-mail it directly to Lic. Hector Rosas if you prefer.

Now... for the future, please report this to the authorities. They are good when there is life threatening situation... and besides... if no mexican authority knows about this things when they happen... how do you expect them to act and solve them in the future?

Hope my intervention helps a little.

God Bless.

Antonio M.
info@bajacactus.com
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 10:07 PM

Antonio-

Thanks so much for letting the Mexican authorities aware of the situation.

I still believe that there are honest and law-obiding officials in Baja. We need to assist the authorities if anything is to change.

Thanks again for your help Antonio.

Zac

RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 06:28 AM

THANK YOU ANTONIO,

I know that you have recieved the information requested and will do all that you can.

To my fellow Nomads,

Know, that I took the action I did that night to protect the lives and safety of my family. I LOVE the good people of Baja and will do what I can to help with this problem we all face.

Tom

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by RockhouseTom]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 07:03 AM

When we drive Highway one and see a car going real fast or real slow or swerving we take appropriate action (I pull over and wait a while) because we think perhaps the guy is drunk. A sage proverb says "give me smart enemies" -- it's obvious these people are whackos with guns. Until the police can get a handle on this (and that could take months) we need to think of our adversaries as crazies -- be prepared to make some changes in our habits, our schedules, our routes and more.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 07:09 AM

Tom: Your comment about the "good people of Baja" rings true. Having done Mexico for so many years it is again sad to see the effects of this tragic experience hurting these wonderful people. Years ago the quota road between San Carlos and Culliacan became a ghost town due to random violence. Local business dried up. We experienced in Baja 911, hurricane Marty in La Paz, and, not so long ago, two gringo murders outside of El Rosario. Each of these had devastating effects on the Baja folks. El Rosario was off-limits for a long time for travelers. I hope Antonio and other locals speak up loudly and clearly about the government providing safe travel for tourists. The economic ramifications for the entire peninsula are serious.

Your experience is a wake-up for Mexico and fellow Nomads. Thankfully you and your family are safe. Our 6 month trip down in late November will be with increased awareness and caution.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 08:29 AM

thanks tom for calling me at the border before i passed through to let me know your situation and events. it made me a little more aware of what was going on around me on the way south. thank god your familly was not hurt! these thugs were out to kill you and rob you after you would have rolled your vehical, theres no dought in my mind. we will change the way we travel in the baja for now on. friends, tom is a very good friend of mine and a very truthfull person and if he says it it happened believe me. i was at the border getting ready to cross when the call came in and was able to contact our good friend franko who laid down everything and came to the rescue. he got toms trailer back to his house for a future pickup minus one axle and with a few bullet holes to add. as i was in BOLA we found out from lucy(memos sister) that rachel and larry had been shot at allso around the catavina area but details were sketchy at best. we later learned the larry had survived the attack and was in san diego. i talked to a few of the buisness men and women down there and most of them said that they have allso been followed out on to the main road and have had to drive at high rates of speed to escape ,it makes you wonder if it isnt an inside job.. good for you tom that you were thinking fast and escaped the situation at hand. we will all have our guard up from now on.:coolup:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.