Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crime update.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 10:36 AM
Crime update.

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
This may hit the local media soon. I just spoke w/a reporter from the Union Tribune and, subsequently, Tom who agreed to a phone interview. With the Fife's tragedy compounding this issue some attention is starting to occur. This reporter also has a place up towards La Gringa and is friend's w/Larry and Raquel.......
The reporter will be passing this off to the Baja issues reporter and hopefully we'll see something in print by this weekend.

That's more good news.

Thanks.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 11:09 AM

Lets just hope that it results in some sort of action by the authorities. I am not holding my breath though. This is a very sad and scary situation that we have here.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 11:14 AM
News reports come and go.......

........I personally feel those of us who have loved Baja for so long need to do something more proactive than alert the media.

Please dont misinterpret this to mean that I dont appreciate the value of contacting the press or the influence they can exert. It is absolutely necessary.

But we need to do more......for the sake of all the good, innocent Mexicans who have no choice but to live in a country so corrupt. For the sake of the foreigners who have lost (and will continue to lose) loved ones to these elements. For the sake of the very selfish motive of enjoying this marvelous peninsula in the years to come.

Of the few options that we foreigners have, there is only one that has any chance of success.......an organized boycott. We cant defend ourselves with comparable weapons. We cant go to the police with leads without endangering ourselves.

I suppose we can stop going for a period which is what many of us have stated publicly or told ourselves privately. But if that's what you intend to do, why not do it in a concerted manner?

How about a grass roots, Labor Day boycott of going to Mexico? We can post our intentions on a number of message forums that will give it a high profile. Even if the number of dollars involved is minor, the visibility of it may have an effect.

OF COURSE this could affect innocent businesses and citizens in Mexico. But the damage is already likely done. Once the Trib article hits and gets picked up by other papers, the pendulum will slowly swing away from business in Baja Norte for a time.

Let's give it a big shove........with the hope that the pendulum will swing back in the favor of businesses and recreation through some type of meaningful government action.

This whole Larry and Raquel's thing pushed me over the edge. PEOPLE, WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING !!!!!!:mad:

Hey, it's a start.......
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Lets just hope that it results in some sort of action by the authorities. I am not holding my breath though. This is a very sad and scary situation that we have here.

In talking to a resident in a campo near La Salina, he stated that there has been a major increase in police presence SEVERAL WEEKS BEFORE ALL THIS HAPPENED and it is continuing! Apparently, the theft of vehicles and home breakins all along this corridor has skyrocketed, even more than usual. A private security guard at at least one campo was severely beaten during one incident. Campo Angel now has a locked gate across it's entrance. For the first time in a long time, there are Delegacion Police regularly stationed in the little hut on the west side of the toll road, just south of La Salina and north of Bajamar. Each has been assigned a "beat" of the campos and the Alisitos area.

The "cactus telegraph" in the area is saying that the perps are good at using the network of dirt roads between the divergence of the free and toll roads to hustle vehicles into the Guadalupe Valley, where they disappear. This is why these crimes are occuring in such a specific area. Many are saying that the element is clearly English speaking gang members (shaved heads, tattoes, the whole nine yards) that work in construction during the day in the booming developments in the Rosarito/La Mision area. But after work, they are ready to party in their usual East LA style. Most supposedly live in the Ejido La Mision area just east of the toll road. Of course, the police probably dont have the courage/wherewithall/firepower to dare enter the ejido or the river area east of the free road in any meaningful fashion.

Of course this is all heresay from the full time gringos........believe what you will.

Personally, I'd say it's probably pretty accurate.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:08 PM
Road Punks

The AFI will take 'em down. Won't be pretty, but that's what they get paid for.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

I hope so, but manning obvious checkpoints ain't gonna do it. I suspect it is more for the calming effect on law abiding citizens.

A sting operation is the obvious method. But I'm not sure if they're allowed to use a vehicle with US plates.

I hope they do this quickly, though........
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

Hope so.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:47 PM

Coincidentally, there's an article discussing the AFI in today's online Economist. Url below.

http://www.economist.com/research/backgrounders/displaystory...

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Coincidentally, there's an article discussing the AFI in today's online Economist. Url below.

http://www.economist.com/research/backgrounders/displaystory...

Thanks---interesting article

Diane

leadmoto
Junior Nomad

Mood: Froggy

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Many are saying that the element is clearly English speaking gang members (shaved heads, tattoes, the whole nine yards) that work in construction during the day in the booming developments in the Rosarito/La Mision area. But after work, they are ready to party in their usual East LA style. Most supposedly live in the Ejido La Mision area just east of the toll road. Of course, the police probably dont have the courage/wherewithall/firepower to dare enter the ejido or the river area east of the free road in any meaningful fashion.

I have never seen any gang bangers in this area. Rosarito yes, but La Mision No. That is not to say La Mision hasn't seen its share of problems problem such as car theft, home break-ins.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:45 PM

I saw the AFI on the toll road yesterday (northbound side) north of Rosarito Beach. They were stopping all vehilcles and checking them out. There are a lot more LE folks seen in the area recently. I hope they get these perps and take them down!
Bob H

[Edited on 8-23-2006 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:50 PM

Hook

It's a lot easier for those that don't live here fulltime to make a statement by boycotting coming to the Baja during a goven period of time, than those of us who do live here full time. Anyone have any suggestions that could involve both residents & non-residents simultaneously, yet still make an impact???
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:57 PM

I think a concerted effort by the Nomads who live and/or visit south of the border is a great idea. My suggestion is to tell the Mexican business owners that we come into contact with on a daily basis that we are concerned, and that business may suffer if these incidents continue (maybe make copies of the Tribune article and pass them out to the businesses). Hopefully, the business owners will "push" these thoughts upward and some action will be taken. I really don't think anything positive will happen until it hurts in the wallet.....just my opinion
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 05:07 PM

Today I emailed the current events to the U.S. Department of State asking them to look into it and post a travel advisory. That could effect a boycott of tourists until the shooters are caught and hence the travel advisory is lifted.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Hook

It's a lot easier for those that don't live here fulltime to make a statement by boycotting coming to the Baja during a goven period of time, than those of us who do live here full time. Anyone have any suggestions that could involve both residents & non-residents simultaneously, yet still make an impact???

You make a good point.

But I think full timers could still join a boycott on a predetermined date by verbalizing your, uh, "solidarity" with a boycott and agree not to purchase any goods and services during that time. Tell the businesses you frequent what you plan on doing and why. Remember, even the perception of an organized movement, however minimal in economic impact, will get the attention of the business community and, hopefully, the government.

I do tend to agree with Bajaguy that nothing will really be done until it hurts people in the wallet. This has a chance, though.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.