Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Delta RJ crash
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 02:26 PM
Delta RJ crash

This does not have much to do with Baja (sorry) but maybe it does.
My daughter drives an RJ-50 for SkyWest, yesterday she flew Delta Connection all day, today she is flying United Express routes.
This one hits real close to home!
She became a pilot because of so many hours flying with good old Dad, in the good old days.
Although, for all the Baja flying we did, she only made one flight to La Paz with me.
Pretty shaky day, today, for both of us, lots of phone calls between flying legs, as more info comes available.
Man, cannot imagine taking off on the wrong runway!!!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 03:58 PM
What Crash?????????

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 04:00 PM

Lexington, Kentucky:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060827/ap_on_re_us/kentucky_cra...
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 04:29 PM

man, that was a bad day...............imagine when he realized he was out of useable runway and had to lift it, then of course without enough forward speed it had to mush and stall short beyond the end of the asphalt.

and the tower must have cleared him for the correct runway.....so he didn't check his DG before take off? that would have been a clue. and these carriers employ 2 pilots for the deck - the other didn't cross check and concur i guess before they rolled out. the lawyers will have a field day with this one. i have to fly in a pax jet next month................not much looking forward for that.:?:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 04:47 PM
Bad day, indeed

The rumor has it that there was a third Delta pilot flying deadhead in the jumpseat. Alisa does that a lot when she wants a free flight on a full plane.
Maybe they were too into "war stories" on the taxi and missed signs. Also, it was dark and it was raining, hard to read signs and runway numbers in those conditions.
Alisa had a 'reportable incident' at LAX last year. Her pilot busted the taxi limit lines on an active runway.... she yelled "stop" at the last second, but they rolled 30 feet past.
Many hours of FAA meetings later she was still in trouble, finally one of SkyWest senior pilots listened to the tapes, pointed out her cry and got her record cleared.
The pilot got 30 days off and a 2 year hold on his career advancements.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 05:19 PM

Runner. I would be very proud of that young Lady!!
I was working in San Francisco when a Lady by the name of Dietrich{SP} got the first Job as an Airline Pilot{If my memory serves me right}. Her Father was a Pilot for the old Air West.
Of course there were many good Lady Pilots that came out of Avenger Field during WW2.
When you look at the Stats,flying the Airlines is still much safer than the Freeway.
98% of the time it is Pilot Error.

Has anyone talked about a possible Engine Stall when the pilot lifted off at Lexington?I have been gone all day.If he tried to lift off at that slow Speed the Turbines must have Flashed.

Skeet/Loreto
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 05:23 PM

Mike I heard that the tower specifically told him that he was cleared for takeoff ON RUNWAY 22, and he acknowledged. He was on 26.

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by Ken Bondy]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:36 AM

yeah, i did too. Here's the rub - current FAA protocol requires a read back of the runway assignment when they clear you to taxi. So.........the tapes will show her clearing him for 22, his read back would have been acknowledging 22 before he could push back. So he "thinks" he is taxiing to 22 but goes to 26 due to confusion with markings and low vis/dark/rain.

FAA rules do not mandate the ground controller visibly confirm planes are where they're supposed to be - the statement from an unnamed FED yesterday was "we don't have time to babysit every operation.":o

well i can tell you they have found the time to micro manage several of my operations!!:mad:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.