Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sensitive subject: Disability review
tigerlilly

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 10:58 AM
Sensitive subject: Disability review

Hi,

I was hoping someone has experienced having to go through a disability review while living here. I live on SSDI due to both physical and psychological issues (am fairly ?normal? but have a lot of fatigue and need to keep stress levels down - Baja has been a very healing place to be) and am extremely concerned about a review coming up. I?ve called social security and they assure me it is just a form to fill out that will then get reviewed and either approved or denied (of course), yet it is the possibility of being deemed fit to return to work that scares the heck out of me. It is not something I could handle at all. And if I had to ?fight? a decision, I?d be in a very poor situation to do it because of limited access to doctors for support.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any advice? Thanks, T.L. :)
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 06:59 PM
No First Hand Experience, but a Question ?

I've only known one person who went through a review and, according to him, it was perfunctory. He had to fill out some forms and that was it. Of course, he had a lot of Doctors Documentation.

Now, the Question:

A couple of years back, I knew a person in another campo who was living on Soc Sec Disability and it was cut off because (according to him) he changed his address from the U.S.A. to Mexico. He was told he had to reside in the U.S. to be eligible for Disability as opposed to Regular S.S. If true, this might be something to watch out for when deciding where you want to claim residence. He went back to the States to appeal it and I haven't seen him since. Maybe he just died. Quien Sabe ?

I know a few people in the U.S. who are on the Disability program, but I don't know if they have gone through a 5 year review. I'll ask.

[Edited on 8-30-2006 by MrBillM]
tigerlilly

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 11:20 AM

Hi MrBillM,

Probably the same for me - main concern is the doctor that I?ve seen for treatment when needed while living here is mexican (of course), has agreed to copy reports in english and send with my info but not sure the states will recognize him as a valid practitioner (unfortunately, this makes sense).

From what I know about living out of the country on disability -- you can live anywhere in the world (other than restricted countries such as afghanistan, etc.) when receiving SSDI (benefits from earned wages) - same as retirees. When you are on regular SSI (a supplement program to welfare basically, not based on an individuals previous earnings) you can not live outside of the U.S. Your friend got ?caught? doing something not allowed... and I hope is doing OK!

Thanks for the reply, T.L.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.