Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Notice to all Nomads
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 08:05 AM
Notice to all Nomads

Please take Notice of the Hurricane and be prepared to help our Amigos.

This is a very Dangerous Storm and its Tract is very Similar to Hurricane Lisa!!

Travel down Hwy 1 can be closed for many Weeks. It maybe that many people will need Help in Baja Sur. Could be the only Help will be from the Air or from the Ferry Service.

Be Aware and be prepared to Help. With Dougs Help this Board can be a very Valuable Tool to get Help to the People.

Skeet/Loreto
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 08:13 AM

Good rally call Skeet!!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 08:30 AM

I'm ready. With over 200 sat locations around the tip we should be able to get messages and news wherever it's needed.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 09:13 AM

Better prepared than the US and Katrina....forced evacuations. :light:

Quote:
LOS CABOS, Mexico (Reuters) - Mexico ordered the evacuation of at least 10,000 people in the Baja California peninsula on Thursday as Hurricane John headed toward the peninsula and tourists were told to hole up in hotels.

Local residents around the Los Cabos beach resort will be taken to shelters, by force if necessary, before the storm pummels the region on Friday, said Jose Gajon, head of civil protection for the state of Baja California Sur.

"Those who do not want to leave will be taken away by the army," Gajon said in an interview. "The number to be evacuated could rise."

Reuters Link
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 09:49 AM

Hey Bus! You did a great job reporting out on that last bad one down there! Good luck and hold on to your hat!
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 09:58 AM

Bueno suerte, Max and everyone else.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 12:34 PM

reports from Cabo are that it's a madhouse. long lines at the gas stations and supermarkets. The Army is driving through the barrios and evacuating all those that want to leave.

To make matters even worse it looks like the storm will be hitting around high tide.

Even if this misses a direct hit on land it is such a massive storm that major damage and loss of life is certain. Since Juliette there has been an incredible expansion of flimsy housing in questionable proximity to water runoff areas, not to mention many new foreigners living here with not much experience in situations like this.

The new major bridges may hold up (doubtful) but certainly the long grades of fill that lead up to them will wash away and it will take much time for heavy equipment to rebuild them. I can recall dozens of pieces of heavy equipment bogged down and buried for days at a time scattered up and down the roads between Cabo and La Paz.

Nothing moved for two weeks and tensions rose even in our little town of 50 or so residents at the time as the only local bodega jacked up prices on beer and food. There was a near riot one afternoon with town folks getting ready to loot and burn the Ladrona out. The local delegado Arturo finally ordered her to clear out her booze and close down.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:15 AM

Hey Bus!
Glad to see you give us all the Good Info.

I have been thinking I might copy you Message>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Demorcats: Like mixing Money an Imatureity.
Just kidding you , as I have solved my Addiction to Politics now that I am an Elected Official of the Great State of Texas! Us Alderman are not suppose to Talk with each other except at Meetings{New Court ruling that is being Challenged as Aganist "Free Speech". Guess we will have to give "Sign Lanuage to get anything Done!

Thanks for all your Help.

Skeet/Loreto
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:15 AM

Mulege Nomads;Attn.

Storm has been updated in Mulege. Be cautious if you try to go South on the Hwy, The Arroyo that contains the Fed. Police Staion is Tricky as the Water coming down hits aganist the Larger Boulder next to the Dip.

If it gets real bad you may be able to get to the Long Runway North for evacation via Aircraft.
Are you Standing by Capt. Mike with your Baja Bush Buddies?????
Depending on the amount of water you very likely will not be able to get in at Serenidad. Is the Strip on the Hill by the Old Hotel Mulege still Active??

Be Prepared!!!!!
Skeet/Loreto
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

sad.gif posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:37 AM

I hate say it but at 9:30 am EST it looks like, from the satellite photos, that that bad boy is right over Cabo.:(

I continue to offer my prayers to those in the storm's eye. :saint:
If all is OK I plan to be there next Thursday. If there is a special need that can be brought in a suitcase--let me know.

God bless-- Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 09:26 AM

My neighbor Bernardo had a stoke a couple of years back. Bad news for Bernardo but really bad news for the rest of us. Somehow Bernardo knew when a bad storm was gonna hit - he would take the tin roof off his house and put it inside so it wouldn't blow around. Now, with him stove up, we just don't know.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 02:01 PM
Osprey,

I met an elderly gentleman once that used to keep his eye on the hermit crabs. One evening as we were all staked out on the beach he came up to us and made a huge deal that we move because of what the hermit crabs were telling him...Ok. We stayed put unil the storm hit later that night. It is amazing what some of the locals can tell by nature without the use of a computer.
Be safe all.

P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 01:21 AM

check out this site

http://www.bajainsider.com/weather/satellites-tides/floater-...

looks to me right up the east coast, los barrilles , muertos, la ventana, la paz etc.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 03:31 PM
Track

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 06:46 PM

All Nomads trying to get info on the Roads!
Go to the Thread and look at Erharts Photo of the Arroyo full of Water.
South Traffic will be closed at many Locations such as this one in the Days to come.If Air Traffic opens that will be the best way to get help to the East Cape Area.

It appears from all the Information that there is a Disaster on the East Cape--Getting Help to them will have to come through La Paz as Hwy 1 will probablely be closed for weeks.
Skeet

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.