backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 03:49 PM

87 in the shade, light breeze and scattered clouds
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 04:02 PM

Backninedan;

Dan you be careful if this storm keeps its track!
You will be unable to get to Loreto for several Days if the Rains hit the Mountains.
Stay Safe
Skeet
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 12:27 PM

Friday 1:30pm thick overcast but no rain yet, light winds from the SE.
Forgot to mention that last I looked (10:30am) the seas were starting to look ugly. A few boats were removed from the marina but at the time I checked no trailers were removing boats. folks here tend to wait until the last minute then it will be a madhouse.

My shop is all set with everything covered up, moved to the high part of the floor or off premesis because the roof leaks and windows taped. My house is ready but since I was in the middle of "spring cleaning" when the plans changed to hurricane readiness my house is still a mess inside. Taking a break before I get to cleaning again. Schools were canceled today. Have tons of food (fish!) gas in the "planta", water, $pesos, etc. Ready. I was surprised when on finishing our preparing that there were no lines at the gas station or in the grocery stores. People here have not been preparing and they aren't taking this seriously. From the look of things and the fact that John has slowed considerably I am remembering how Marty moved. Very slowly, sat S of los cabos, then he went right up the Cortez and right by us. This could still happen but we'll gets lots of rain even in the best case scenario and Loreto does not do well with heavy rain. Staying home for a few days, won't leave as we're likely in the safest place in town up here above Miramar.

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by flyfishinPam]

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 02:56 AM

Loreto 4:00am saturday; heavy rain from rain bands on the leading edge of the storm. the storm is moving slowly and is just north of La Paz at 8 mph should bring the eye near Loreto in about 12 hours. Looks like we're in for a rough day so I will try and sleep now as I'm tired from preparing for this storm all day thursday and most of yesterday..serious this time. Nice to have this sat internet so I can see what we're in for. didn't have this luxury when Marty hit us.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 06:52 AM

Pam what is going on now?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:24 AM
Loreto

Rain off and on since 3 or so AM, heavy at times. No real wind yet. John is still well south, but...

Kudos to CFE; power went out twice, once for maybe an hour and once for 5 minutes. Used to take them the better part of a week.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 12:12 PM
Loreto Weather

At 1:00 p.m. the wind in Loreto has backed around to the East at around 20 knots with stronger gusts. There are intermittent rain squalls with rain heavy at times. But for the hiccup alluded to by tehag, there has been no interruption of telephone or electric service in the Colonia. There is a heavy flow of water in the arroyo between Colonia Zaragosa and el centro.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 06:23 PM

My last post was the last before we got pounded. Our electricity went off then the winds started to get strong. Also we had lightening so I unplugged the satellite antenna over my palapa roof. After daylight I went up and took it down. I used a rope to lower it to the ground then took it in. Marked the post where it was set wiht the right signal. Getting it down was scary as I was paranoid of lightening (although there wasn't any at the time) and I was afraid of the wind and not being able to get it off, but I did, whew! So after that I got cut off from the world. Backninedan's wife kept me posted as to where the storm was as they had phone and dsl service. Last call she made to me was right before the winds yesterday evening, then the cell signal went out and I was cut off. My kids were scared as the winds were very strong but I kept reading them stories until they fell asleep. I tried to sleep but the winds were severe and I wanted to make sure that I was ready to move us into the windowless bodega if we had to go there. When we woke up there was no rain but cloudcover. Most of the water below us had receded. All day yesterday I watched police evacuate people out of miramar. During all this the power only went out three times, once just before my last post then right after my last post (4am Saturday) then again last night for about 1 minute just before the strongest winds. Never had to turn on the generator but its still ready. I'm wondering how my friends in colonia zaragoza are doing. we tried to take a look at the river there but the police turned everyone away. since there are no more electricity poles leading there I assume they have no power and I know they have no water too. Glad we made it alright...now gotta figure out how to get husband and mom in law from csl to lto on wednesday...

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by flyfishinPam]

Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 07:18 PM

Pam
Read u2u when you get time.
sunchaser

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 08:02 PM

Pam, thanks for keeping us updated. I guess the southern arroyo levees held up. We are especially worried about our 93 yr old neighbor Dona Sophia Osuna who lives in the last house on the left on N. Bravo before the arroyo.

Hope your shop is ok.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 08:38 PM
Hi Pam

If you get a chance. We are worried about Gail Wright at Hotel Quinta San Francisco on the malecon across from the marina. We talked to her last night before the phone went out. She was there by herself., Her roof was leaking then. We would just like to know if she is ok. Our prayers go out to you all. God bless and thanks for your reports,k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 08:45 PM

Hi there,

When I went by Gail's place this afternoon it looked to be alright. I know they got some waves into some of the properties along the malecon. the Texas BBQ at the Medeterraneo had a sign for a hurricane special at 6pm today! wish I could go. I saw them getting ready on friday like I was, one of the few that prepared early. The lady near the arroyo was likely evacuated but from the looks of things along Madero she probably got through it alright. We're all drying out here now but the rain will leave us alone for awhile.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.