Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing Gear ??
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 05:17 PM
Fishing Gear ??

I just went to a yard sale and picked up some old rods and reels. I am wondering if any of you fishing efficienados know anything about them !

The first is a Penn Peerless No. 9 open-faced.
The second is a Penn Peer No. 209 with braided line.
The third is an Ocean CIty 922 with red braided line.

Thanks for any info.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 05:37 PM

Diver... these are fun to rebuild. Too bad I got to many Iron in the fire, but one day soon I will have time.:tumble:
http://www.scottsbt.com/pennparts/reelspecs/penn9m.htm

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/PENN-209M-Parts-List-C...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 06:15 PM

I think you meant "aficionados", but actually I like your word better. It implies competence, deserved or not! :lol:

Then there's "afishinados", too.

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by Oso]

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I think you meant "aficionados", but actually I like your word better. It implies competence, deserved or not! :lol:

Then there's "afishinados", too.

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by Oso]

I maybe have 10-20 years left. Think I could become one??
I already know how to eat fish.:lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 07:53 PM

I'm sorry I am not enough of an "afishinado":spingrin: to answer your question, Diver. I just play one on the Sea of Cortez. Probably an "efficienado" more efficiently verbose than I will come forth.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 08:05 PM

Penn #9: small level wind - can hold about 5 or 6 colors of lead core line - was used alot for trolling trout back in the day.

Penn #209: larger level wind - was my first Baja reel: I caught a bunch of 30# yellowtail in Loreto in '94 (that's 1994 Neil). I see a lot of trout trollers using this reel with leadcore nowadays.

Ocean City 922: "collectors" item but only worth $20 - and that's if it has the box and papers and it's not beat up. (I'm an Ocean City collector)

All of these reels are nice to own, nice to tear apart to learn, you can get parts for the Penns but are so old-school that if you show up with one of these, the tackle ho's will assume you're an idiot or onto something retro they haven't thought of yet.

If you really want somethingto fish with, sell these on eBay and buy a new, basic SOC reel. You'll have to start another thread to get the ball rolling with that. Lots of opinions on that one.

Good luck!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 08:14 PM

Thanks Santiago,

All the reels are in great shape and I paid less than $60 for all three with two rods. I think they've only been used in fresh water.

What are the differences that make the newer reels better ?
I suppose you DID catch some fish with your old Penn ?
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 10:32 PM

DIVER...

There's nothing wrong with using older Penn reels. They're not that different from some of today's Penn reels. They're real workhorses, and can still catch a lot of fish. Think of them like an older piece of machinery, sort of like a classic car. They can still be repaired and restored and used daily, because they were built well to begin with.

Part of the beauty of classic Penn reels is that almost any tackle store can service and repair them and it usually won't cost you an arm and a leg to get it done. Another thing about your reels is the level-wind on them. If you're not an experienced fisherman, it helps keep the line neatly wound on the spool and helps avoid a tangled mess which can cause you to lose a fish. I have a couple of level-winds in my arsenal. I let inexperienced friends use them. It's just one less thing they've got to worry about.

Now mind you, you can't use them to go out catch a huge fighting fish, but you'll surely be able to be use them to catch a lot inshore game fish.

I own probably 25 reels from all the major reel manufacturer's and some of my most dependable and favorites to use are my older Penn's. I own about 10 Penn's and some of them are 30+ years old. Because I've taken good care of them and serviced them, they work as well today as they did on their first day of use.

AMO PESCAR... (In case you don't know, that basically means I LOVE TO FISH)

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by AmoPescar]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 11:02 PM

Thanks Fishing Lover,

Sounds like maybe I didn't do too bad after all. I wanted something to use in Baja for a month or two each year from shore and from my 14' Lund; maybe a few tries at salmon and steelhead in the Columbia.

Sounds like these may also be a good way to help get the kids into fishing without breaking the bank.

Now I just need someone to show me where the fish are this winter.
Pompano still owes me a ride !! Earth to Pompano !!!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 11:12 PM

OOOH ?

They are clean, they have plastic spools.....3.2:1 on the No 9 and 2.7:1 on the 209. I know they won't last forever, but I think they were hardly used.

I guess they would look ok on the wall !?
Maybe after I give them a try !!?
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 11:13 PM

DIVER...

Where will you be doing your fishing?

I think you made a good purchase. They should work VERY well for what you want. They'll be perfect for the kids to use, and for fishing from your
Lund.

Just a tip...be sure to change the line after every season of use. There's nothing worse than losing a nice fish to line that breaks because it's old and weak.

Amo aka: Mike
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 11:21 PM

Hey whistler....

Glad to see your post. It's been a long time since I last saw you. Hope you are doing well. I ran across a post where you wondered what had happened to me. I was laying very low for a couple of years. But, now I'm back, and enjoying posting again.

Tu Amigo, AMO
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 11:37 PM

whistler...

See your U2U.

Amo
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 05:13 AM

shades of JR.......o fishy o nada

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 05:46 AM

Hey Whistler! Glad to hear that there are others who have trouble "Controlling their Desires and Keeping their Pssions in Due Bounds"

No wonder you get along so good with George.?

Nostilaga Fishing-Being on a Limited Budget my first years of Fishing, I have only fished with Penn 500's, with 40 Lb Test Line-Finally went to a 6/0 with 125 Lb Test when Commerical fishing with my Friends out of San Nicholas for Shark. Have the Jaw with Teeth hanging on my Wall from an 800 Lb. Blue caught off DelElfonso.
In the old days no one had any Luck with Level Lines-The yellow tail were too strong and Fast when Hooked on top of the Water.
The 50 to 60 Lb Dorado were a good Battle with a 9 Ft. Rod.
Most of my Rods were built by the guys at "Fishemans Hardware" just South of Signal Hill near Long Beach.

An as you say, the Fishing has Changed from Learning the Water to all kinds of "Electronic Gadgets" to assist the "New Fisherman" !!

Too each His Own!!
Skeet/Loreto

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.