Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tickets and Fines
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:26 PM

About three years ago my buddie Gene and I were bringing the travel trailer from Jim's storage yard in La Paz to the trailer park about a mile away. As we passed a motorcycle "cop" parked on the opposite side of the four lane I said to Gene, "watch this, bet he pulls us over."

Sure enough he did - for nothing. As he came up to the window I was determined not to give in to his extortion. I don't know what got into me, but when he asked me if I spoke Spanish I replied in my best Okie accent, "Si sinore, un po-keet-oh."

He then proceeded to tell me in rapid fire spanish that I had violated some law regarding stop lights and how the law was different in Mexico. Total BS. I looked him in the eye and said, "Feller, I'm not sure what the heck you're talkin about, but I didn't do nuthin wrong bach there. An I sure ain't gonna give ya no money for that!"

He kept going on about the aleged crime and I just kept looking at him stupidly. Gene is sitting quietly trying to suppress laughter or dismay, I don't know which.

Finally I pulled out my wallet and for a moment the cop stopped talking. But instead of money, I showed him my deputy fire chief badge. I told him, "Looky here fella, weez hair-mon-ohs. You aint got no need to be botherin me!"

He gave me a very odd look, a dismissive wave of his hand and turned and walked back to his motorcycle. Gene couldn't believe it. I smiled the rest of the day.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 12:03 AM

Well...... According to the SOS organization the following are minimum and maximum fines for the following infractions in Mexico. All amounts are in Pesos!!

Speeding $632 to $1265
Traffic sig infraction $253 to $421
Seat belt $253 to $421
Talking on Cell phone $253 to $421
Not giving right of way $253 to $421
Littering $464 to $632
invalid /No driver lic. $253 to $421
Racing $464 to $632
Drvng in Fast lane $253 to $421
Double prk $253 to $421
Prkd in Red zne $253 to $421

Exploding firewrks $295
Disorderly cond. $126 to $285
Public Intox. $126 to $285
Drinking in Pub. $211 to $843
Loitering $421 to 1285
Peeing in Pub. $126 to $295
Naked in Pub. $211 to $843
Excess noise, car/moto/radio $211 to $843

Crimes relating to
Drugs/Alch/Prostituition $421 to $1285

Interesting to note that Public Intoxication is cheaper than Drinking in Public!!

Bedman

P.S. I typed everything real neat and had the fines 3 tabs over, but I guess the soft ware removes the tabs/space??

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by Bedman]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 12:56 AM
According to SOS

I made the right decision.:P

DK, you?? :lol::lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 02:24 AM

My only infraction....

was riding my quad in San Felipe w/o a helmet. It was after returning from a SF to BOLA ride. We went into SF to meet friends for a beer and it was too hot and I was too tired to wear a helmet. A Mexican friend with me tried to explain that it had been cracked in an accident and was not wearable, but the officer didn't go for that.

We had to follow them 2 blocks to the Police Station where they confiscated our keys until the fine was paid. I think the fine was $6.00 US. I was so P.O'd... :lol:

AMO :saint:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 09:55 AM

Yes Sharks... I did!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 10:07 AM

AMO was your MUG shot taken on that occasion? then you got at least something for your money!!:lol:

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 11:57 AM

FARASHA...

NO, the helmet ticket was about 3 years ago.

Amo
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe

Finally I pulled out my wallet and for a moment the cop stopped talking. But instead of money, I showed him my deputy fire chief badge. I told him, "Looky here fella, weez hair-mon-ohs. You aint got no need to be botherin me!"

That must be the Safety Business "presentation" your talking about, eh BajaGuy/Bernie?

Nice Post Bedman - thats the info I was looking for....

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajapablo
Got pulled over for running a stop sign in San Felipe. Followed the cop to the station paid the 25.00 fine.

I've had 3 tickets for stop sign running and the last 2 (within a year) were 129 pesos each.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
Well...... According to the SOS organization the following are minimum and maximum fines for the following infractions in Mexico. All amounts are in Pesos!!

Speeding $632 to $1265
Traffic sig infraction $253 to $421
Seat belt $253 to $421
Talking on Cell phone $253 to $421
Not giving right of way $253 to $421
Littering $464 to $632
invalid /No driver lic. $253 to $421
Racing $464 to $632
Drvng in Fast lane $253 to $421
Double prk $253 to $421
Prkd in Red zne $253 to $421

Exploding firewrks $295
Disorderly cond. $126 to $285
Public Intox. $126 to $285
Drinking in Pub. $211 to $843
Loitering $421 to 1285
Peeing in Pub. $126 to $295
Naked in Pub. $211 to $843
Excess noise, car/moto/radio $211 to $843

Crimes relating to
Drugs/Alch/Prostituition $421 to $1285

Interesting to note that Public Intoxication is cheaper than Drinking in Public!!

Bedman

P.S. I typed everything real neat and had the fines 3 tabs over, but I guess the soft ware removes the tabs/space??

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by Bedman]

I believe that you missed "Attempted Vehicular Manslaughter on a Police Officer"
$20.00 US

Therianthropic
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 08:19 PM

I noticed that there was no fine posted for not wearing a helmet while riding on a motorcycle. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. As for paying the police officer---in Mexico everyone (including the Mexicans) does it. The police are paid very little and getting stopped is just a matter of bad luck. If the mordida is reasonable, pay it and be on your way. Anything over $20.00 U.S. is probably too much. Never show the officer how much money you have in your wallet. Always be respectful and everything should turn out fine. Afterwards you can feel good or bad....ni modo a me.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 08:31 PM

capn.sharky...

Riding without a Helmet fine

See my post above about riding w/o a helmet

Amo Pescar
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 10:55 AM

Gawd, I've been pulled over all over Mexico. The federal highway cops are usually pretty professional and have good tactical procedures. The city cops are crooked as a mesquite tree. I universally refuse to pay them off, as it's against one of my few morals.

If the cop is nice, I tell him that I?m a retired cop, shake his hand, and I give him a shoulder patch. They always like that. If he?s a jerk (city traffic cops) and threatens to tow the truck, take away my license, etc., etc., then I rant and rave (in English and very poor Spanish) and tell him that he can take the truck, take my license, do anything, but I?m not paying him. I tell them that President Fox says that corruption is illegal in Mexico and I?m not paying corrupt cops. ?Corruption? seems to be a very powerful word in Mexico, because after this speech, they always walk back to their car without another word, get in, and drive away. I?ve never gotten a ticket in Mexico, or paid a cop.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 12:07 PM

Running a stop sign -- in front of a police station -- in Ensenada: $42 US. (Not me, it was my wife.)

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Quote:
Originally posted by bajapablo
Got pulled over for running a stop sign in San Felipe. Followed the cop to the station paid the 25.00 fine.

I've had 3 tickets for stop sign running and the last 2 (within a year) were 129 pesos each.

thanks for rubbing in. with a big cabover camper and utah plates we had estupido gringo's written all over us and besides itwas our first ticket and we didn't know any better. :D

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 12:54 AM

REGARDING MORDIDA and SINDICATURA...

FRED HOCTOR Who was a well known Writer for Western Oudoor News, Baja Traveler and Author, once wrote a story in WON about Mordida. He said that we should all remember the word "SINDICATURA" (seen-dee-kah-too-ra ). Sindicatura is the agency which investigates
corrupt public officials such as the police.

Fred said to keep a card or something with the word printed on it close to your Driver?s license (some Nomads suggest putting a sticker on the back of your Dr. license with the name and their phone numbers). As you hand the officer your license he will see the word and will usually back off immediately. Fred also suggested you look at the officer?s badge number and begin writing it down, as if you were recording it to report him.

I have never personally had to use this method, but Fred swore it would work every time.

For more info on SINDICATURA, do a NOMAD or Google search

Amo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 09:28 AM

Did Fred say that? Well, he lived in Punta Banda on the cool Pacific!

I often go to L.A. Bay on the July 4th holiday and it is a great time to be there!

I would avoid August if heat and humidity bother you, however... The fish don't mind it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.